• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Owen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Cunt

[quote author=keniget link=topic=34487.msg900522#msg900522 date=1246780406]
He's joined them - it's done now. I'm not really interested in hearing / ranting any more.

Why is there no other fucking transfer news! Real's mad transfers were supposed to kickstart the market, yet we're still waiting. Can't wait for the football to start back up again.

When is our first friendly and is it on tv?
[/quote]

A couple will probably be on channel 5.

I get bored watching out friendlies.

There, I said it. I cant help it. It's cos there's so little footy on so I get really excited, then when it arrives & they play slower footy than a "seniors XI" side & all trot about looking nonchalant I get disappointed & bored.

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=34487.msg900713#msg900713 date=1246806444]

There, I said it. I cant help it. It's cos there's so little footy on so I get really excited, then when it arrives & they play slower footy than a "seniors XI" side & all trot about looking nonchalant I get disappointed & bored.
[/quote]

I don't think anyone will disagree with that. Has there ever been a memorable preseason friendly?

Atletico will memorable this year simply 'cos of the Torres factor.

Well, as memorable as pre-season friendlies can get...

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=34487.msg900716#msg900716 date=1246806688]
[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=34487.msg900713#msg900713 date=1246806444]

[/quote]

I don't think anyone will disagree with that. Has there ever been a memorable preseason friendly?

[/quote]

Cheyrou vs Lazio. He really was sensational and led to me defending him for 2 years because of that one game.

hahaha.

So, dull, uneventful, disappointing & incredibly misleading.

Cant wait. No really I cant. Even though I know all the above. That's completely illogical. This must be how girls think.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hey,beggars can't be choosers ;D

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=34487.msg900741#msg900741 date=1246808679]
hahaha.

Cant wait. No really I cant. Even though I know all the above. That's completely illogical. This must be how girls think.
[/quote]

Plus(is it a plus?) this is the only time of the year we get to see Degen.

[quote author=Tinto link=topic=34487.msg900556#msg900556 date=1246784111]
[quote author=Frogfish link=topic=34533.msg900390#msg900390 date=1246736714]
Oh what BS. Reputation ? As a player who unsettles the squad ? Where did you pull that one from ? He ripped us, Real Madrid and Newcastle apart with his divisiveness didn't he.

Dire past fitness record doesn't mean he will be injured again next season - although it may be worth a punt. Yes, he can play lone striker and yes he can play in 4-4-2 so whatever formation we play he would still have been an excellent squad player for us. As far as a foil for Torres is concerned The Cunt can hold the ball up with the best of them and his cunning in and around the box would help not hinder.

It's totally irrelevant now of course but some people just don't want to acknowledge Owen the player because of how they perceive Owen the person.
[/quote]

I'm going to answer Froggy's outburst here rather than sully the thread where we are celebrating the best striker in the world.

Froggy, which Owen are we talking about here? Even at his best, he couldn't play up top on his own. He needed a partner to do all the donkey work for him. I'm not really sure Rooney nor Berbatov would relish doing that.

His failure to sign an extension stank the club out for a whole season and helped doomed Ged's chances of keeping his job despite achieving the minimum of Champions League qualification.

Still, I tend to forget Owen's last 1 and half seasons with us and remember him when he actually enjoyed playing for us. It was because of those, largely sentimental, memories that I was in favour of Rafa taking a punt on him. It was a gamble because of his fitness and the media circus that inevitably comes with the Owen package. In that brochure of his, it does actually state that if Owen was injury free, he would be spoken about in the same gushing tones as Torres and Ronaldo. If that is how Owen really feels then he hasn't acquired the humility to be the impact sub/back up striker that we need.
[/quote]

Owen up front.
Just because he has usually played 2 up front most of the time doesn't mean he was / is incapable of that role. He has lost his pace but remains tactically astute and is able to run off the last man by timing his runs better. He is also excellent at holding the ball up - he needs to as most of the time his own team couldn't / can't stay with him either. Newcastle are hardly a yardstick of what Owen could possibly still be capable of in a much better team. We'll now see of course and I desperately hope I'm wrong but I think he is a very astute pick up for United.

Owen leaving Liverpool
I remember the season well however there are 3 sides or more to that story and I'm not sure at all we went the whole hog in trying to keep him - he was as much pushed as pulled.

Ged
Had already lost it by then. He came back a lesser, far more conservative, manager after his op. and it really was time for last orders and a good night's sleep. Owen played nothing but a bit part in the big picture.

Brochure
Does anyone else here think Owen is so generously endowed with little grey cells that he helped put this together and then endorsed it ? It really looks like something agents did on his behalf and distributed it out of desperation - though it would have had zero impact on Ferguson's decision of course. I may well be wrong though - I'm sure his agents could have persuaded him it was a viable marketing technique.

Owen can't hold the ball up at all. He's got none of the attributes needed to play up front in our system.

Last time I saw him play he couldn't control or dribble a ball either.

Andy Dunn makes Bascombe seem almost human in the NOTW. A week or so ago he was ridiculing anyone who was interested in Owen. Now he's warning anyone who doubted Owen that he'll prove them all wrong. How do you qualify to be a journalist these days? Let someone hit you round the head with a plank of wood for an hour?

[quote author=Frogfish link=topic=34487.msg900763#msg900763 date=1246811867]
Owen up front.
Just because he has usually played 2 up front most of the time doesn't mean he was / is incapable of that role. He has lost his pace but remains tactically astute and is able to run off the last man by timing his runs better. He is also excellent at holding the ball up - he needs to as most of the time his own team couldn't / can't stay with him either. Newcastle are hardly a yardstick of what Owen could possibly still be capable of in a much better team. We'll now see of course and I desperately hope I'm wrong but I think he is a very astute pick up for United.

Owen leaving Liverpool
I remember the season well however there are 3 sides or more to that story and I'm not sure at all we went the whole hog in trying to keep him - he was as much pushed as pulled.

Ged
Had already lost it by then. He came back a lesser, far more conservative, manager after his op. and it really was time for last orders and a good night's sleep. Owen played nothing but a bit part in the big picture.

Brochure
Does anyone else here think Owen is so generously endowed with little grey cells that he helped put this together and then endorsed it ? It really looks like something agents did on his behalf and distributed it out of desperation - though it would have had zero impact on Ferguson's decision of course. I may well be wrong though - I'm sure his agents could have persuaded him it was a viable marketing technique.
[/quote]

You are the only person who I've come across that believes Owen can play the lone striker's role effectively.

The loss of forward momentum during Ged's time certainly started Owen's doubt about his future here but bloody hell those doubts perpetuated that backward momentum until Ged was gone. Owen lack of commitment to Ged's regime was a huge factor in Ged going. I am was an Owen apologist and even I can't deny that.

One of Owen's strength has always been his single mindedness and self-belief. I seriously doubt he would be content to play second fiddle to Torres. Owen would want to start alongside him. The idea of Owen coming back here as an impact sub or back-up striker is very appealing but to get the best out of Owen, he really needs a manager who is willing to indulge him. Ferguson might well do as with the players and system United have, there is a place for him there. We would need to reshape our system to fit Owen into the first team and ask Torres to play a different role. So, Rafa certainly won't.

The press has already started talking about this:-

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_united/article6637435.ece

Like Tevez before him, Owen will not be content with mere bench-warming. Even as a £30,000-a-week bargain he will not dutifully accept a role of “impact†striker. His pride would not allow it and he believes that with England’s current forward power including Emile Heskey, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe and Carlton Cole, he can still be part of Fabio Capello’s plans for South Africa. “If I am fit and playing well then I have got a better chance of getting back into the England squad,†he said yesterday. “If I play well then I’d like to think I can force my way back in. I have 89 caps and it would be great to add to that. There is a burning desire to do well for whatever team I play for.â€

So, yeah... I would have loved Owen coming back on our terms but I just don't think he would have done.

[/quote]

[/quote]Loads.

[quote author=Tinto link=topic=34487.msg900854#msg900854 date=1246816845]
Like Tevez before him, Owen will not be content with mere bench-warming. Even as a £30,000-a-week bargain he will not dutifully accept a role of “impact†striker. His pride would not allow it and he believes that with England’s current forward power including Emile Heskey, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe and Carlton Cole, he can still be part of Fabio Capello’s plans for South Africa. “If I am fit and playing well then I have got a better chance of getting back into the England squad,†he said yesterday. “If I play well then I’d like to think I can force my way back in. I have 89 caps and it would be great to add to that. There is a burning desire to do well for whatever team I play for.â€

So, yeah... I would have loved Owen coming back on our terms but I just don't think he would have done.
[/quote]

Owen, having spent the last of his time as Newcastle as an impact sub and worried for his future, won't have been in any position whatsoever to demand any kind of playing guarantees.

And when he got contacted by Utd, he thanked his lucky stars and simply prayed that it'd go through.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=34487.msg900874#msg900874 date=1246818470]
[quote author=Tinto link=topic=34487.msg900854#msg900854 date=1246816845]

[/quote]

Owen, having spent the last of his time as Newcastle as an impact sub and worried for his future, won't have been in any position whatsoever to demand any kind of playing guarantees.

And when he got contacted by Utd, he thanked his lucky stars and simply prayed that it'd go through.
[/quote]

Sure, that's all true when his only options was Hull or Stoke.

But now that he's there at United, do you think he won't want to start every match when he is fit; he would be happy to be a sub when the big matches come around? That's never been Owen's way.

[quote author=gkmacca link=topic=34487.msg900770#msg900770 date=1246812136]
How do you qualify to be a journalist these days? Let someone hit you round the head with a plank of wood for an hour?
[/quote]

Quite.

[quote author=Tinto link=topic=34487.msg900879#msg900879 date=1246819342]
Sure, that's all true when his only options was Hull or Stoke.

But now that he's there at United, do you think he won't want to start every match when he is fit; he would be happy to be a sub when the big matches come around? That's never been Owen's way.
[/quote]

I'm sure he would want to start every game. I want to win the lottery every time it comes round... for all the good it does me.

Utd were strongly linked with Benzema and it didn't happen. They've also been linked with Fabiano and Eto'o. It all suggests there is strong interest in bringing in a top name striker to replace Ronaldo's goals. Where does that leave your theory on Owen?

Owen knows he's been given a second chance here. He also knows that Ferguson didn't play ball with Tevez, who he needed a fuck of a lot more. He also knows that even someone like Ronaldo who had a lot of weight behind him was made to wait. Do you honestly think Owen feels he has a shot at making demands of Ferguson?

If he performs, he might get that chance to become a regular. If he doesn't, he'll just have to be unhappy on the bench.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-ne...to-play-for-manchester-united-55578-24079725/

FORMER Liverpool FC striker Michael Owen said he had "always clung to that hope" that he would one day play for Manchester United.

Doubts may have been expressed about the wisdom of United manager Sir Alex Ferguson signing Owen but the two men themselves are convinced the deal will be a success.

There is little financial risk to United, who have signed the player on a free transfer, as Owen can no longer command the £110,000-a-week he was on at Newcastle.

He may not be the marquee name fans were hoping for after losing out to Real Madrid in the £30million pursuit of Lyon striker Karim Benzema, with the club also likely to suffer the same fate with Bayern Munich winger Franck Ribery.

But at 29, if he can keep himself free from injury, England’s greatest modern-day goalscorer may yet have a significant part to play in United’s history over the course of his two-year contract.

For the player himself it provides one final chance to prove wrong the doubters - England coach Fabio Capello included - who claim he is finished after four years of injury torment at St James’ Park.

United, unlike their other top-four rivals, also present the greatest chance of winning silverware; something Owen has not done since he lifted the League Cup with Liverpool in 2003.

"Manchester United, you automatically think winners, you think trophies, you think the stadium, the massive fan base, but until you sign you don’t really let yourself get carried away," said Owen.

"There’s so many top players here, obviously it’s a very exciting time for me.

"Right throughout the squad they are obviously a fantastic team with fantastic players, that’s why they’ve all won so much throughout their careers, and hopefully I can jump on the bandwagon, score a few goals, and help us to further success."

It could be argued that, injuries aside, Owen was never likely to regain his best form playing in a Newcastle team which lurched from one crisis to the next on and off the pitch and ultimately resulted in them being relegated last season.

Having played for Liverpool, where he won European Footballer of the Year in 2001, and Real Madrid, for one brief season, Owen is used to being surrounded by top talent.

Having such high-class support makes his job as a goalscorer so much easier as he does not have to do it all himself.

There were times at Newcastle, particularly in their failed fight against relegation, when it seemed he was carrying the expectations of not only the team but the entire Geordie nation.

At Old Trafford no one individual is held up as a talisman or a saviour - highlighted by the £80million sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Madrid.

With other players to do much of his running and greater creativity around him, Owen has the best environment in which to succeed.

And even he - scorer of 40 goals in 89 England internationals - admits he is excited about playing in the same team as the likes of Wayne Rooney, Dimitar Berbatov and Ryan Giggs.

"A few days ago I never really had it in my wildest dreams," said Owen, who seemed set to be fought over by Hull and Stoke before Ferguson made his move.

"I probably won’t sleep at night thinking about all the top players I’m going to be playing alongside, so there’s a lot to think about and a lot to get excited about."

Owen will also benefit from the full backing of Ferguson, having known for some time his new manager was an admirer of his talents.

"In the last few years I had an idea that the manager obviously thought I had something, so I always clung to that hope that he would ask me to come and play for him one day," he added.

"I’m not silly, I know there will be some people saying maybe the manager shouldn’t have signed me.

"That gradually goes in time and as soon as the first game kicks off, I can do my talking on the pitch."

Cunt

[quote author=Hass link=topic=34487.msg900917#msg900917 date=1246826416]
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-ne...to-play-for-manchester-united-55578-24079725/

FORMER Liverpool FC striker Michael Owen said he had "always clung to that hope" that he would one day play for Manchester United.

Doubts may have been expressed about the wisdom of United manager Sir Alex Ferguson signing Owen but the two men themselves are convinced the deal will be a success.

There is little financial risk to United, who have signed the player on a free transfer, as Owen can no longer command the £110,000-a-week he was on at Newcastle.

He may not be the marquee name fans were hoping for after losing out to Real Madrid in the £30million pursuit of Lyon striker Karim Benzema, with the club also likely to suffer the same fate with Bayern Munich winger Franck Ribery.

But at 29, if he can keep himself free from injury, England’s greatest modern-day goalscorer may yet have a significant part to play in United’s history over the course of his two-year contract.

For the player himself it provides one final chance to prove wrong the doubters - England coach Fabio Capello included - who claim he is finished after four years of injury torment at St James’ Park.

United, unlike their other top-four rivals, also present the greatest chance of winning silverware; something Owen has not done since he lifted the League Cup with Liverpool in 2003.

"Manchester United, you automatically think winners, you think trophies, you think the stadium, the massive fan base, but until you sign you don’t really let yourself get carried away," said Owen.

"There’s so many top players here, obviously it’s a very exciting time for me.

"Right throughout the squad they are obviously a fantastic team with fantastic players, that’s why they’ve all won so much throughout their careers, and hopefully I can jump on the bandwagon, score a few goals, and help us to further success."

It could be argued that, injuries aside, Owen was never likely to regain his best form playing in a Newcastle team which lurched from one crisis to the next on and off the pitch and ultimately resulted in them being relegated last season.

Having played for Liverpool, where he won European Footballer of the Year in 2001, and Real Madrid, for one brief season, Owen is used to being surrounded by top talent.

Having such high-class support makes his job as a goalscorer so much easier as he does not have to do it all himself.

There were times at Newcastle, particularly in their failed fight against relegation, when it seemed he was carrying the expectations of not only the team but the entire Geordie nation.

At Old Trafford no one individual is held up as a talisman or a saviour - highlighted by the £80million sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Madrid.

With other players to do much of his running and greater creativity around him, Owen has the best environment in which to succeed.

And even he - scorer of 40 goals in 89 England internationals - admits he is excited about playing in the same team as the likes of Wayne Rooney, Dimitar Berbatov and Ryan Giggs.

"A few days ago I never really had it in my wildest dreams," said Owen, who seemed set to be fought over by Hull and Stoke before Ferguson made his move.

"I probably won’t sleep at night thinking about all the top players I’m going to be playing alongside, so there’s a lot to think about and a lot to get excited about."

Owen will also benefit from the full backing of Ferguson, having known for some time his new manager was an admirer of his talents.

"In the last few years I had an idea that the manager obviously thought I had something, so I always clung to that hope that he would ask me to come and play for him one day," he added.

"I’m not silly, I know there will be some people saying maybe the manager shouldn’t have signed me.

"That gradually goes in time and as soon as the first game kicks off, I can do my talking on the pitch."

Cunt
[/quote]

Owen sounds extremely grateful (as you would expect) but doesn't sound like a player expecting to be no more than an impact sub or back up striker.

It's horrible to hear him referring to that lot as 'we'.

I appreciated Owen's goals for Liverpool but I never particularly liked him very much and I began to despise him when he fucked Liverpool about signing a new contract. As such, I couldn't give a shit about him joining Utd. If it had been Robbie, Stevie or Carra then I'd have been sickened.

Hmmm. So it seems that Mikey would have taken £100K a week cut in wages to join us, or he always wanted to join the scum.

I wonder which is true

Never adored him while he was here.

Never despised him when he left.

F#$! him. I "nothing" him now.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=34487.msg900971#msg900971 date=1246838957]
Never adored him while he was here.

Never despised him when he left.

F#$! him. I "nothing" him now.
[/quote]

Bet you wanted to ride him after the 2001 cup final tho!

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=34487.msg900741#msg900741 date=1246808679]
hahaha.

[/quote]

Only about sex.

[quote author=Marquis link=topic=34487.msg900984#msg900984 date=1246850693]
hahaha.

[/quote]

Only about sex.
[/quote]

Ha ha ha.

my 'owen path' goes something like this;

17 years old - when he first burst on the scene I absolutely loved him

18 years old - felt huge pride when he scored 'THAT' goal at the world cup

19 years old - began to cool on him when he used to talk about england more than liverpool

21/22 years old - hated the kick and rush style of play that seemed to play to his strengths (admittedly not his fault)

23/24 years old - began to depise him when he started dragging his heels on signing a new contract as if he were waiting to see what direction liverpool would take, getting too big for his fucking boots.

25 years old - over the moon when he fucked off to real

26 years old - completely vindicated in my opinion when liverpool without the 'great michael owen' who singlehandidly kept liverpool in the top four (what fucking bollox) won nothing whilst liverpool became european champions.

27 years old - pleased when rafa passed on him. owen ends up at n'castle does fuck all for two years

29 years old - for man united my hated for him is now off the scale.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=34487.msg901087#msg901087 date=1246874077]
my 'owen path' goes something like this;

17 years old - when he first burst on the scene I absolutely loved him

18 years old - felt huge pride when he scored 'THAT' goal at the world cup

19 years old - began to cool on him when he used to talk about england more than liverpool

21/22 years old - hated the kick and rush style of play that seemed to play to his strengths (admittedly not his fault)

23/24 years old - began to depise him when he started dragging his heels on signing a new contract as if he were waiting to see what direction liverpool would take, getting too big for his fucking boots.

25 years old - over the moon when he fucked off to real

26 years old - completely vindicated in my opinion when liverpool without the 'great michael owen' who singlehandidly kept liverpool in the top four (what fucking bollox) won nothing whilst liverpool became european champions.

27 years old - pleased when rafa passed on him. owen ends up at n'castle does fuck all for two years

29 years old - for man united my hated for him is now off the scale.
[/quote]

See this is what I don't get mate. It sounds like you haven't been too keen on Owen for getting on for a decade now, and you were pleased when he left and delighted when he never came back.
So why has his signing for United provoked such a strong personal feeling? Surely you must have half expected it?

[quote author=Marquis link=topic=34487.msg900984#msg900984 date=1246850693]
hahaha.

[/quote]

Only about sex.
[/quote]

hahaha touche.

As I was writing that, I thought you were guaranteed to comeback on it, but I correctly assumed you knew me well enough to know I was taking the piss!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom