• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PL Opposition Tidbits

Bayern's confirmed squad in Manchester for tonight:

Goalkeepers: Manuel Neuer, Daniel Peretz
Defenders: Dayot Upamecano, Kim Min-jae, Alphonso Davies, Raphael Guerreiro, Noussair Mazraoui, Frans Kratzig.
Midfielders: Joshua Kimmich, Leon Goretzka, Konrad Laimer, Jamal Musiala, Aleksandar Pavlovic.
Attackers: Harry Kane, Leroy Sane, Kingsley Coman, Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting, Thomas Muller, Mathys Tel.

Looks pretty strong whoever they go with so should be stretching them nicely prior to Sunday

BREAKING: Reports show potential rule changes regarding player amortisation may even be backdated. Chelsea’s spending under Todd Boehly has surpassed over £1 Billion. [
@Matt_Law_DT

I think this was inevitable. The backdating bit is interesting and I suspect the intention is to mirror the UEFA rule. But this vote should have happened at least 12 months ago, then Chelsea wouldn't have had any cause for complaint. As it stands, they'll say they wouldn't have done all of those deals had they known (although I think they would have done and banked on successfully appealing against the rule).
In context, they spent c £400m in the relevant period, so this rule change would add £30m losses per annum (£90m over three years which is only £15m short of the ridiculous £105m cap on losses). So they could only afford to lose £15m over three years (adjusted). They lost £121m (unadjusted) last year. Oops!
But more to the point, they were always going to be in breach of the UEFA rules with their much lower limits, and I can't understand why they seem OK with that, as surely European football must be the minimum they hope to achieve. There's a good chance UEFA would refuse them entry to their competitions even if they did qualify.
So I can't help wondering if they know they're up the creek, think they might get some let-off because of the Russian sanctions, and have just thought they'll push it to the max as they know they're not going to escape punishment either way, so they might as well build a strong squad in the meantime, in the hope that whatever sanction they get will just tank them for one season and then they can go again the following year with a clean slate.
And somehow, they managed to spend all that money and fail to build that strong squad.
What's the Russian word for "karma"?

David Ornstein
@David_Ornstein

EXCL: Premier League clubs have voted in favour of limiting amortisation of new contracts to maximum of 5 years. Deals can still be longer but amortisation can’t. Previously no cap but PL now in line with UEFA rules. Will not be backdated
@TheAthleticFC

David Ornstein
@David_Ornstein

EXCL: Premier League clubs have voted in favour of limiting amortisation of new contracts to maximum of 5 years. Deals can still be longer but amortisation can’t. Previously no cap but PL now in line with UEFA rules. Will not be backdated
@TheAthleticFC

So not backdated means Chelsea aren’t instantly fucked, but they are fucked. I think that’s the gist of @beamrider’s essay

So not backdated means Chelsea aren’t instantly fucked, but they are fucked. I think that’s the gist of @beamrider’s essay
I'm struggling to see how they could argue they were under the £105m PSR cap for the period to 2022. In fact, I reckon they are way over. They would have been fine for 2021 due to profit on player sales. The only argument I could see is something spurious about loss of player values due to covid, but Everton didn't get away with that. It's not obvious from their accounts because they didn't report any covid-related figures.
I can only assume this is being looked at alongside the historic issues that they have self-reported, and with the added complication of sanctions against Abramovich hitting their revenues, so it will take longer.
But it looks to me like they should already be in the same process as Everton and I think they would have been charged by now were it not for the extra complications.

So, its now Arteta and Klopps fault that ref in Turkey got assaulted??

Peter Walton on referee attack in Turkey. 'First things first...every governing body needs to come out immediately and condemn these actions...then, maybe the likes of Jurgen Klopp and Mikel Arteta will think twice next time they rush to harangue an official or question his impartiality».

It’s ok - if this happened in the UK, VAR would probably still be checking the slo-mo to see if contact was made.

With the European ]group stages complete England are currently third in the leagues and currently will not receive an extra UCL spot next season

With the European ]group stages complete England are currently third in the leagues and currently will not receive an extra UCL spot next season
I think you've taken this from the BBC article? The UEFA site currently has England in 4th, behind Spain as well, but I'm not sure which is most up to date.
In any event, the remaining English teams will need to go deep into their competitions to turn this around, and it'll probably need the other associations to lose teams quickly in the knock-outs as well.
We just need to focus on finishing (at least) top 4 and if England misses out on a 5th place then I hope it's United or Newcastle who lose it, since it's their fault. I'd be genuinely gutted for Villa if they finish 5th and don't get Champions League because two of England's teams in the competition were so shit.

EDIT - Looks like 3rd is correct and the UEFA site hasn't updated yet.

Last edited:
If you look at the whole excellent page on the BBC it lists all of the teams by country in each competition.

Villa are likely favourites for the Conference, ourselves and Leverkusen for the EL and City and Arsenal are going to be good for the CL semis bar drawing Real. Can't see England failing to finish Top 2.

I think you've taken this from the BBC article? The UEFA site currently has England in 4th, behind Spain as well, but I'm not sure which is most up to date.
In any event, the remaining English teams will need to go deep into their competitions to turn this around, and it'll probably need the other associations to lose teams quickly in the knock-outs as well.
We just need to focus on finishing (at least) top 4 and if England misses out on a 5th place then I hope it's United or Newcastle who lose it, since it's their fault. I'd be genuinely gutted for Villa if they finish 5th and don't get Champions League because two of England's teams in the competition were so shit.

EDIT - Looks like 3rd is correct and the UEFA site hasn't updated yet.
:geek: embarrassed :geek: I actually worked it out myself. However, the BBC article is very comprehensive!

Back
Top Bottom