• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Newcastle (H) - 1st Jan 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any news post-match on that?
Klopp just said he felt his hamstring and a few were feeling tired.

Probably taken off as a precaution but I would expect him to miss the next couple of games and be back for the next league game.

of course, i think you’re good with spoilers on a 30 year old film. If you don’t know the sister had a hand in it then that’s your own fault.

That was the bit I hadn't seen.

At the Oscars now. Feel like I've seen this bit but we'll know for sure soon enough.

Hey, Toby off of the West Wing just made a brief appearance.

It's just those few underhit passes he did in quick succession looked very strange and surprising for a player of his technical quality. Other than that, I thought he was very useful; constantly found space and showed great desire and acceleration at a few key plays.

Exactly - but I have noted his under hit passes in quite a few games - even when people were praising him as the 2nd coming of SG. However, he is an integral part of our team and the energy he brings to the team is something we can't manage without - so him being out with a hammy - is a big worry for me. I really hope Klopp does not put his trust in Gravy to play that role, coz there is very little urgency in his play - zero intensity is how he comes across. Will have to play Elliot, but it does make our midfield very light physically.

We should have scored 8 tonight.

You absolutely cannot argue with where we're at, it's great news.

We've only been beaten once this season, and that was daylight fuckin robbery.

Best game for a while from Diaz, keep it up lad.

Salah - top goalscorer and top assister in the Prem. We'll miss him, hope Egypt are out early.

Good strength in depth, the subs looked awkward for 5 mins, then kicked in.

As for the critical points -
  • There was contact on Jota but he went down 2 Ice Ages later, no penalty that. If he'd gone down when it happened, fair enough
  • Nunez - great disruptor - awful finisher
We march on. We could do this!

Raaaaaaaaatings time.

Ali 6 - No chance with either of the goals, nothing else to do otherwise.
Trent 6 - Average performance, another example where he shows himself to be the weak link in defence. Gomez deserves his chance, or just sign a new RB to play as a RB.
Ibou 7.5 - Take 0.5 off as you could put the first partially down to him with helping Trent out a bit better otherwise thought he was brilliant.
Virgil 8 - World Class.
Gomez 8 - Going from strength to strength, shutting up a lot of us doubters who wanted him gone a long time ago.
Endo 8 - Gonna miss this lad when he’s gone, one of the first names on the team sheet…now looks like he’s gonna have to work his way back.
Szobo 6 - Played his part setting up the first with his trademark striding run but first half he was noticeably poor which you can’t ignore.
Jones 7 - Much more like it, needs to be getting in the box more often as he’s capable of making things happen.
Salah 8 - Was looking like being one of them games from Mo but he came alive to great effect at the end. Too hot for the mags.
Nunez 7 - Much better from him than in recent weeks where he wasn’t getting any chances and got an unselfish assist. Gutted he couldn’t get his goal.
Diaz 7 - Signs of Diaz of old tonight, definitely doesn’t look like a guy short on confidence or lacking in pace.

Jota 8 - Was it a bit of a dive? Wasn’t it? Either way a very positive impact, great to have him back.
Gakpo 7 - Another positive contribution from the bench, did his best to miss mind but involved in some good build up play.
Grav 6 - Didn’t really notice him.
Mac 6.5 - That pass to Jota….

Let me adjust it for you: Have highlighted my differences in score or comments.

Ali 6 - No chance with either of the goals, nothing else to do otherwise.
Trent 7.5 - was good,
Ibou 7.5 - Take 0.5 off as you could put the first partially down to him with helping Trent out a bit better otherwise thought he was brilliant.
Virgil 7.5 - responsible for playing the player onside for Newcastle's first goal
Gomez 9 - Just brilliant.

Endo 8 - Gonna miss this lad when he’s gone, one of the first names on the team sheet…now looks like he’s gonna have to work his way back.
Szobo 7.5 - Played his part setting up the first with his trademark striding, was intercepting balls, a few misplaced passes but that is usual for him as he does a lot of the running for the midfield. I can accept that.
Jones 8.0
- You know the midfield will be in control when he plays, and a midfielder who knows when to run into the box
Salah 8.5 - Was looking like being one of them games from Mo but he came alive to great effect at the end. Too hot for the mags.

Nunez 7 - Much better from him than in recent weeks where he wasn’t getting any chances and got an unselfish assist. Gutted he couldn’t get his goal.
Diaz 7.5 - Signs of Diaz of old tonight, definitely doesn’t look like a guy short on confidence or lacking in pace.

Weighted ratings:

Jota 8 - Was NOT A dive? Wasn’t it? Either way a very positive impact, great to have him back.
Gakpo 7 - Another positive contribution from the bench, did his best to miss mind but involved in some good build up play.
Grav 5 - Wake the fuck up kid !!! - your at Livepool FC
Mac 7.0 - That pass to Jota….

Exactly - but I have noted his under hit passes in quite a few games - even when people were praising him as the 2nd coming of SG. However, he is an integral part of our team and the energy he brings to the team is something we can't manage without - so him being out with a hammy - is a big worry for me. I really hope Klopp does not put his trust in Gravy to play that role, coz there is very little urgency in his play - zero intensity is how he comes across. Will have to play Elliot, but it does make our midfield very light physically.

There's a bit of a pile on for Szoboszlai lately, which is somewhat deserved after a few flat performances,but also seems to make people exaggerat when assesing his mistakes. He was fine today, yes he made a couple of errors but the whole point of our system today was to play at a suffocatingly high tempo and empty Newcastles reserves of energy.

He was absolutely instrumental in that, his pressing and counter pressing is as good as anybody on the team. Look at the lung busting run he puts in for the first goal to win the ball ahead of Guimaraes lay it off to Diaz and then drive on past Longstaff dragging the Newcastle covering midfield runners over to the left creating the space for Nunez and Mo to slide the knife through their defence. No other player in our squad bar Robbo at his peak has Szoboszlais engine, we absolutely need him back to 100% for the run in. Give him 3 weeks off between now and Bournemouth. He's a gem.

There's a bit of a pile on for Szoboszlai lately, which is somewhat deserved after a few flat performances,but also seems to make people exaggerat when assesing his mistakes. He was fine today, yes he made a couple of errors but the whole point of our system today was to play at a suffocatingly high tempo and empty Newcastles reserves of energy.

He was absolutely instrumental in that, his pressing and counter pressing is as good as anybody on the team. Look at the lung busting run he puts in for the first goal to win the ball ahead of Guimaraes lay it off to Diaz and then drive on past Longstaff dragging the Newcastle covering midfield runners over to the left creating the space for Nunez and Mo to slide the knife through their defence. No other player in our squad bar Robbo at his peak has Szoboszlais engine, we absolutely need him back to 100% for the run in. Give him 3 weeks off between now and Bournemouth. He's a gem.
I agree. His final ball was a bit shit, but he deserves a lot of praise for how we dominated for most of the game.

whoisthat.png

Two highlights from the game....

1) nice to see Fabs and Bobby back at Anfield....wonder if there's any footage of them visiting the dressing room...

2) i was more worried about Klopp losing his wedding ring than anything else

As for the result, come on...it was never in doubt.

Exactly this. That period with 3-4 misplaced passes within a few minutes will be what people remember and judge him on, but I thought he was quite good the rest of the game. Hope his injury is not too serious and we see him back by the league game against Arsenal.

EDIT: I mean Bournemouth. For some reason I thought Arsenal was on 1/21.

Last edited:
Exactly this. That period with 3-4 misplaced passes within a few minutes will be what people remember and judge him on, but I thought he was quite good the rest of the game. Hope his injury is not too serious and we see him back by the league game against Arsenal.

He was fantastic off the ball, winning it. He was awful on the ball.

Also that pitch was water clogged in parts with all the rain. Makes passing hard to judge because if other places the ball skidded along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom