• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rugby Union

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35792.msg953687#msg953687 date=1254248621]
Didn't see it, but I just googled it and most places are describing it as a kick in the head. Azam has always been a bit "abrasive" ... didn't he get banned for gouging before too ?
[/quote]

Yeah its not really a stamp.

They are both lying on the floor and Azam kicks him with a downward motion that catches SB in the face (Its 100% deliberate). The guy has been banned for nearly everything in his time.

8 week ban for him by the looks of things.

Surprising result in that game too, more surprising than Hayes' stamp.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35792.msg958135#msg958135 date=1254767539]
8 week ban for him by the looks of things.

Surprising result in that game too, more surprising than Hayes' stamp.
[/quote]

The way the Munster lads were talking pre-match i was expecting a win for them. BOD and Co just seemed far to physical for them.

Hayes will be very lucky if all he gets is a 8 week ban for that, he clearly went head hunting with that stamp.

Anyone interested in the internationals coming up?

A few points:

I must admit i fancy our chances of finally turning over the All Blacks

Ireland have a great opportunity to beat the Aussies once again

I don't think i've ever been more excited at the prospect of watching England play.

That last point wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that we're down to our last few front rowers, would it, boyo? ;)

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=35792.msg974342#msg974342 date=1256824802]
That last point wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that we're down to our last few front rowers, would it, boyo? ;)
[/quote]

You're only missing 15 injured players mate, i don't see what the big issue is personally.

Ha, i thought you were above gags of that level JJ!

I saw Courtney Lawes play for the first time a few weeks back......looks a real prospect for your lot.

Lawes is certainly a prospect. The challenge will be to develop his game without blunting that edge which he already has.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=35792.msg974328#msg974328 date=1256823400]

A few points:

I don't think i've ever been more excited at the prospect of watching England play.
[/quote]

I'm a little worried about Ireland to be honest. Munster and Leinster have been fairly indifferent this year so far.

Kidney looks to have his eye on building a squad for the World Cup right now, because he's discarded some of the veteran back up for the younger up and coming fellas.

Notable Ulster have a few more involved this year, are any of the new lads any good Doc ?

I'd fancy Ireland against the Wallabies, they're crap at the moment. The All Blacks are slighly better but are no great shakes themselves.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35792.msg974510#msg974510 date=1256843422]
[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=35792.msg974328#msg974328 date=1256823400]

A few points:

[/quote]

I'm a little worried about Ireland to be honest. Munster and Leinster have been fairly indifferent this year so far.

Kidney looks to have his eye on building a squad for the World Cup right now, because he's discarded some of the veteran back up for the younger up and coming fellas.

Notable Ulster have a few more involved this year, are any of the new lads any good Doc ?
[/quote]

I haven't caught enough games to be honest. I know Ian Humphries has been consistently excellent though, kicking well, getting us moving and scoring tries. Whether he'll get the nod ahead of O'Gara is the big question. He certainly warrants having a look at though. I think he's got the temperament to perform at the top level.

He's the one Ulster player that most people expected in the squad but Kidney's gone for just 2 outhalfs with Sexton as backup.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35792.msg976292#msg976292 date=1257049479]
He's the one Ulster player that most people expected in the squad but Kidney's gone for just 2 outhalfs with Sexton as backup.

[/quote]

I was at the Leinster match last night and while I am no expert Sexton looks ready for the international stage.
A great feign and grubber kick for the first try.

[quote author=the count link=topic=35792.msg976626#msg976626 date=1257095517]

[/quote]

I was at the Leinster match last night and while I am no expert Sexton looks ready for the international stage.
A great feign and grubber kick for the first try.
[/quote]

That was one of the best team tries i've seen so far this season.

[/quote]

Any Ulster player needs to be twice as good as the Leinster/Munster competition to make the Irish side.

Do you really think that ?

I think the reason Sexton is in ahead of Humphries (without being able to comment on their respective form) is because he showed himself to be capable of dealing with big game situations like the Heineken Cup Final.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35792.msg977526#msg977526 date=1257202637]

I think the reason Sexton is in ahead of Humphries (without being able to comment on their respective form) is because he showed himself to be capable of dealing with big game situations like the Heineken Cup Final.
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I think Sexton is very good, but so is Humphries.

And I do think there's a fair few Ulster players who didn't get a fair go under O'Sullivan and that is continuing under Kidney.

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=35792.msg977530#msg977530 date=1257203021]

[/quote]

And I do think there's a fair few Ulster players who didn't get a fair go under O'Sullivan and that is continuing under Kidney.
[/quote]

Is it okay to make a joke about Ireland managers always preferring players playing within the country ?

What players do you think were overlooked ? Neil Best is the only one that springs to mind.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35792.msg977532#msg977532 date=1257203200]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Is it okay to make a joke about Ireland managers always preferring players playing within the country ?

What players do you think were overlooked ? Neil Best is the only one that springs to mind.
[/quote]

Neil Best is the one that really sticks in the craw, tbh, particularly after the Autumn series where he destroyed the Australian and SA forwards and then didn't get a look-in in the 6 nations. I thought Paddy Wallace and Isaac Boss deserved more of a chance a few years back when they were at the top of their game and the first picks were struggling.

David Humphries, it was felt up here, was badly treated too...

If you'll allow an Englishman to intrude on private grief, I'd agree with all of those, Humphries and Best in particular.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=35792.msg977803#msg977803 date=1257257838]
If you'll allow an Englishman to intrude on private grief, I'd agree with all of those, Humphries and Best in particular.
[/quote]

I remember seeing Best on the tour to NZ, he looked like a star in the the making then.

True indeed. As for Humphries, admittedly at a lower level (but a pretty high standard even so) I saw him take Cambridge on practically by himself one year in the Varsity Match - he scored all Oxford's 19 points and was unquestionably MOTM despite being on the losing side.

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=35792.msg977619#msg977619 date=1257237604]
[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35792.msg977532#msg977532 date=1257203200]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Neil Best is the one that really sticks in the craw, tbh, particularly after the Autumn series where he destroyed the Australian and SA forwards and then didn't get a look-in in the 6 nations. I thought Paddy Wallace and Isaac Boss deserved more of a chance a few years back when they were at the top of their game and the first picks were struggling.

David Humphries, it was felt up here, was badly treated too...
[/quote]

I find it difficult to criticise Kidney given his record thus far.

But O'Sullivan got it horribly wrong in his last year, I think the Humphries / O'Gara thing was a 50/50 call but O'Gara got the nod partly because of his long term understanding with Stringer and partly simply because he was younger. I never really rated Boss to be honest, Best certainly should have been playing ahead of Easterby for ages.

In fairness, you're right, I can't be too hard on Kidney, but I think it is a mistake not to at least draw Humphries into the squad at this stage. A few injuries and he could need him, and not blooding him now at the top level might be a real error.

Tomorrow's game is a good litmus test for England. If you're sat in England, facing the Aussies is the usual acid test of where you're at. But, let me tell you, this Aussie team is poor.
I expect an England win, despite their own 'transition period'. Coz if they get beat by this Aussie team, there's continued trouble ahead. Giteau is obv a good player, they have a new, decent scrum half, Mitchell is a so-so winger, two untried centres who are quite good, no great shakes (or, at least, haven't looked it here). Pack-wise, nothing spectacular.
You get the impression they've been dreading this tour. The players don't like Deans. He has just stripped Mortlock of the Captaincy, as he's no longer first choice, and decided against giving it to Giteau (the Country's Marquee player) for a reason that no Aussie can fathom. So, he's lost a Nation, not just a team.
Add to this RU is really struggling in Aus at the moment, S14 and Test attendences were down 40% last season, more so at the Force where I occasionally go. This is a big tour for RU in Australia for a number of reasons. But I'm not sure this team is up to it.

The Aussies are quite rightly odds on favourites to win tomorrow. England are missing about 20 players through injury.

Back
Top Bottom