• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rugby Union

[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=35792.msg981119#msg981119 date=1257519822]

Fair enough, 20 players? Didn't realise. I guess the result doesn't matter then.

[/quote]

Good game to blood a few youngsters i guess.

Last time i checked, these guys were all ruled out:

Phil Vickery (prop) shoulder, minimum three months
Andrew Sheridan (prop) shoulder, four months
Lee Mears (hooker) knee, four to six weeks
Tom Rees (flanker) shoulder, four months
Simon Shaw (lock) foot, two weeks
Delon Armitage (full-back), shoulder, two months
Riki Flutey (centre) shoulder, 10 weeks
Toby Flood (fly-half) knee, four weeks
Mike Tindall (centre) hamstring, one week
Danny Cipriani (fly-half) fibula, six weeks
Luke Narraway back, five to six weeks
Rob Webber (hooker) knee, three weeks
Nick Wood (prop) foot, two weeks
Ben Woods (flanker) foot, three to four weeks
Sam Vesty (fly-half), hamstring, three to four weeks
Jordan Turner-Hall (centre) shoulder, three months
Topsy Ojo (wing) knee, two months
George Skivington (lock) ankle, one week
Will Skinner (flanker) ankle, one to two weeks
Dan Cole (prop)

OK, take it easy, although how 20 injuries can affect a 15 a side game fair enough.

I guess Aus will win then and England will aspire to beat them next time.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=35792.msg981123#msg981123 date=1257520308]
[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=35792.msg981119#msg981119 date=1257519822]

Fair enough, 20 players? Didn't realise. I guess the result doesn't matter then.

[/quote]

Good game to blood a few youngsters i guess.

Last time i checked, these guys were all ruled out:

Phil Vickery (prop) shoulder, minimum three months
Andrew Sheridan (prop) shoulder, four months
Lee Mears (hooker) knee, four to six weeks
Tom Rees (flanker) shoulder, four months
Simon Shaw (lock) foot, two weeks
Delon Armitage (full-back), shoulder, two months
Riki Flutey (centre) shoulder, 10 weeks
Toby Flood (fly-half) knee, four weeks
Mike Tindall (centre) hamstring, one week
Danny Cipriani (fly-half) fibula, six weeks
Luke Narraway back, five to six weeks
Rob Webber (hooker) knee, three weeks
Nick Wood (prop) foot, two weeks
Ben Woods (flanker) foot, three to four weeks
Sam Vesty (fly-half), hamstring, three to four weeks
Jordan Turner-Hall (centre) shoulder, three months
Topsy Ojo (wing) knee, two months
George Skivington (lock) ankle, one week
Will Skinner (flanker) ankle, one to two weeks
Dan Cole (prop)

[/quote]

Ha ha, I've just read that list.

England never won coz Luke Narraway wasn't playing.

What, THE Luke Narraway?

Do one.

Leave Luke Narraway alone. He went to my old school. ;)

I reckon we'll still take them in the front row, and as a member of the Front Row Union myself I am of course going to say that's where it all starts. The Wallabies have more experience though. Finely balanced, I'd say.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=35792.msg981149#msg981149 date=1257521697]
Leave Luke Narraway alone. He went to my old school. ;)

I reckon we'll still take them in the front row, and as a member of the Front Row Union myself I am of course going to say that's where it all starts. The Wallabies have more experience though. Finely balanced, I'd say.
[/quote]

Hey, I reckon England will win. Just don't get the bunting out when they do, coz Aus are crap.

England were 2/1 to win this game at the start.

Wilkinson's tackling around the fringes has been superb. Spot kicking has been good, but tactical has been a bit rusty. Very competitive and open game. The Aussies are coming back into to it now.

Half time now and its 9-5.

[quote author=Spionkop69 link=topic=35792.msg981699#msg981699 date=1257607077]

Wilkinson's tackling around the fringes has been superb. Spot kicking has been good, but tactical has been a bit rusty. Very competitive and open game. The Aussies are coming back into to it now.

[/quote]

How did it finish Spion ?

I'd been looking forward to the rugby all week and then when it comes along, two utter shite games are produced.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35792.msg981897#msg981897 date=1257620502]
[quote author=Spionkop69 link=topic=35792.msg981699#msg981699 date=1257607077]

[/quote]

How did it finish Spion ?
[/quote]

18-9.

Not really. A better sid would have punished them. Thats the worst aussie side for years. Pity we are in transition too.

[quote author=Spionkop69 link=topic=35792.msg982373#msg982373 date=1257671389]
Not really. A better sid would have punished them. Thats the worst aussie side for years. Pity we are in transition too.
[/quote]

England with anything like a 1st team would of battered them.

Yeah i'm sure that missing their 5 Lions and another 4-5 1st choice players on top of this, wouldn't have changed the outcome.

[quote author=Spionkop69 link=topic=35792.msg982373#msg982373 date=1257671389]
[/quote]

I've already covered that. It's been discussed at length over here that NZ and particularly Aus have their worst sides in living memory. That doesn't excuse the ineptitude of England. They are terrible and whilst Armitage, Flutey and Cirpiani would strengthen the look of the back line, I'm not sure they would have contributed to 'battering' the Aussies. Dream on.
England's best chance is kicking someone to death (for a change) and they had the best guy in the team for that. They proved that by fluking their way to the WC Final on the back of 1 try in 3 knock-out games.

You do not "fluke" your way to the World Cup Final, any more than we "fluked" our way to Istanbul.

England have plenty of talent, but probably the wrong man in charge. I wondered about Johnno's lack of experience anyway and, as soon as he picked Borthwick (not even one of the two best locks available to England) as his captain, I began to get worried. I doubt he should ever have been appointed in the first place and he, possibly his coaches also, should either go or, at the very least, work with some senior figure - NOT Rob piggin Andrew - akin to a Director of Football in footy, one who knows what he's doing in such a senior role.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=35792.msg983824#msg983824 date=1257774537]
You do not "fluke" your way to the World Cup Final, any more than we "fluked" our way to Istanbul.

[/quote]

Not quite the same. You can more or less pick the semis of the Rugby World Cup once the draws made. Realistically, there aren't many teams who stand a chance. I think Argentina eliminated Ireland in the Group stage last time to provide the only shock pre knock out. So England were always going to be there or thereabouts. 67 kicks later, it was the Final.

Kidney picked as much of our Grand Slam winning team as he could. Wallace comes in for D'arcy and Healy starts in place of Horan.

I hope Healy does well, he's got the potential to be the best prop the country has produced since Popplewell. But he's only 22 and making his debut against the Aussies, so it won't be easy.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35792.msg987692#msg987692 date=1258097339]
Kidney picked as much of our Grand Slam winning team as he could. Wallace comes in for D'arcy and Healy starts in place of Horan.

I hope Healy does well, he's got the potential to be the best prop the country has produced since Popplewell. But he's only 22 and making his debut against the Aussies, so it won't be easy.
[/quote]

Still, we really need to develop this area, and the experience will be terrific. Delighted to see talent emerging in the front row- and if he lives up to that Pops tag (one of my favourite players to wear the Irish jersey), then all the better.

Nick is an unusual choice for a favourite.

Not many people appreciate good props.

I think we discussed this before- probably in some sort of 'cult hero' type thread. I just loved him.

I've definitely talked about him on here, he's a very good friend of my uncle - they played in the front row together for a long time.

I had the privilege of watching Poppy play dozens of times as a kid and I hadn't a clue about rugby at the time. No interest in it.

I think we should win. We've a lot of experience out there, and after winning the Grand Slam, I don't see us coming into the game with a Northern Hem inferiority complex. Even winning the Grand Slam last season, I don't think we played anywhere near the level this team is capable of, and I think we can push on, even if O'Driscoll is going to be feeling the effects of age soon at this level.

26-17

Back
Top Bottom