• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rugby Union

Just watched France demolish South Africa. Or perhaps 'slice them to ribbons' would be more accurate. Or some combination of the two.

The score was only 20-13, but you have to take into consideration that France sleepwalked the first half an hour (after which they were 13-3 down) and messed up several gilt-edged chances to score points. SA looked very ordinary, but if France can maintain that standard in matches against lesser teams, they'll definitely be the team to beat in the 6 Nations.

The S.Africans didn't have all their best team out, and their coach is an idiot, but France were certainly impressive.

Only caught the last twenty minutes of the England game but it wasn't encouraging.

Argentina are a decent side but we made a lot of basic errors. The only glimmer of hope was number 11 - don't know his name - who looked an absolute beast.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=35792.msg988601#msg988601 date=1258218601]
Only caught the last twenty minutes of the England game but it wasn't encouraging.

Argentina are a decent side but we made a lot of basic errors. The only glimmer of hope was number 11 - don't know his name - who looked an absolute beast.
[/quote]

Is it Banahan ?

I remember seeing him a couple of years back (for Sale ?) and thinking he could be a great winger if he put his mind to it.

Yes, it was Banahan, and he did well with the try, but I actually didn't think he had a great game overall. He looks as though he's actively seeking contact at times rather than trying to get around it, possibly because he's huge (an ex-forward, England's Eric Rush), and I'm not certain he'll keep his place.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=35792.msg988726#msg988726 date=1258229382]
Yes, it was Banahan, and he did well with the try, but I actually didn't think he had a great game overall. He looks as though he's actively seeking contact at times rather than trying to get around it, possibly because he's huge (an ex-forward, England's Eric Rush), and I'm not certain he'll keep his place.
[/quote]

Yeah, from the highlights he was a bit of a Shane Horgan- great big quick powerful lad, but not the best ball handler.

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=35792.msg988237#msg988237 date=1258148200]
I think we should win. We've a lot of experience out there, and after winning the Grand Slam, I don't see us coming into the game with a Northern Hem inferiority complex. Even winning the Grand Slam last season, I don't think we played anywhere near the level this team is capable of, and I think we can push on, even if O'Driscoll is going to be feeling the effects of age soon at this level.

26-17
[/quote]

I think it'll be lower scoring than that, if our scrum holds out we'll beat them.

only a few mins to kick off now, can't wait.

And that's why you don't run the ball around your own 22. ROG overthrows a skip pass to BOD, intercepted. 7-0 to Australia

20-20.

Why did we wait an hour to start playing ?

Great finish to the game, the Aussies dominated for long periods but we somehow managed to hang in. And as usual it's a BOD try that gets us a result.

So Kidney has picked Sexton at number 10 for the Boks game ahead of ROG

*APPLAUDS*

Brave, forward-thinking call. Sexton was fantastic against Fiji, inventive, mixing things up and absolutely outstanding goal-kicking. I haven't seen ROG play like that in years. Brave decision, as playing the Boks will be a different prospect entirely, but I'm really pleased with this.

How do you think he will get on Doc?
I have a feeling he might struggle in this one.
SA are very physical and I think they will be gunning for him.

But, like you, I was delighted with Kidney's call.
Neil Francis was on Irish Radio giving it large about 'the baton being passed' and all that. I wouldn't go that far, ROG has plenty of miles left on the clock.

[quote author=Stu link=topic=35792.msg998518#msg998518 date=1259155310]
How do you think he will get on Doc?
I have a feeling he might struggle in this one.
SA are very physical and I think they will be gunning for him.

But, like you, I was delighted with Kidney's call.
Neil Francis was on Irish Radio giving it large about 'the baton being passed' and all that. I wouldn't go that far, ROG has plenty of miles left on the clock.
[/quote]

If Sexton plays to his potential then, barring injuries, I think it may indeed be the case of the baton having been passed. In the past 5 years, and particularly in the run up to, and during, the last WC, ROG had many properly shockingly bad games. He's pulled himself together since, but I've been waiting for someone to come along and press him for the jersey- it has been too long. Sexton looks like having the tools to make the position his own, and I'll be delighted if he does so. IMO it should be Sexton and Ian Humphries fighting it out anyway.

I wonder whether we'll get one of those self-pitying "I thought I'd done enough to start....I was amazed when my name wasn't read out" efforts which followed Ronan O'Boyzone's staggering exclusion from the Lions test team last summer.

[quote author=bryndaloo link=topic=35792.msg998598#msg998598 date=1259163731]
I wonder whether we'll get one of those self-pitying "I thought I'd done enough to start....I was amazed when my name wasn't read out" efforts which followed Ronan O'Boyzone's staggering exclusion from the Lions test team last summer.

[/quote]

Is it my imagination or are you getting quite anti-Irish these days ye drunk taffy-bastard.

I'm just amazed that O'Gara has managed to hang on to his spot in the team for so long, he's been a weak link in your side for years now.

Sexton looks like a very good FH indeed, so i guess you've found the solution to that problem.

[quote author=Pesam link=topic=35792.msg998609#msg998609 date=1259164343]

[/quote]

Is it my imagination or are you getting quite anti-Irish these days ye drunk taffy-bastard.
[/quote]

I've always been quite vehemently anti O'Gara you elderly, bald numpty.

[quote author=bryndaloo link=topic=35792.msg998614#msg998614 date=1259164789]
[quote author=Pesam link=topic=35792.msg998609#msg998609 date=1259164343]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Jaysus, you're very touchy, still hungover?

[quote author=Pesam link=topic=35792.msg998621#msg998621 date=1259165261]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Touchy?! How so? drunk taffy-bastard = elderly, bald numpty i.e. statements of fact!

Certainly not still hungover, was back on it Sunday night in Leeds!

[quote author=bryndaloo link=topic=35792.msg998623#msg998623 date=1259165540]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Touchy?! How so? drunk taffy-bastard = elderly, bald numpty i.e. statements of fact!

[/quote]

Good recovery, considering you diidn't know your own name on Saturday.

You going to Wales v Australia?

[quote author=Pesam link=topic=35792.msg998624#msg998624 date=1259165873]
[quote author=bryndaloo link=topic=35792.msg998623#msg998623 date=1259165540]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Good recovery, considering you diidn't know your own name on Saturday.

You going to Wales v Australia?
[/quote]

Not going to Cardiff for it - lack of funds!
Will be watching in some pub or other.

I knew some of my name on Saturday...just not all of it. I definitely knew there was a 'y' in it somewhere.

[/quote]

I'm no member of the ROG fan club myself, but his form on tour was decent and he actually was unlucky not to get in that team.

Well done the fightin' Irish. Tremendous win over the Boks. If there's a better fullback in world rugby than Rob Kearney, I hope he's English.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=35792.msg1000751#msg1000751 date=1259426123]
Well done the fightin' Irish. Tremendous win over the Boks. If there's a better fullback in world rugby than Rob Kearney, I hope he's English.
[/quote]

Kearney is outstanding. Brilliant win, and the Sexton decision proved the right one.

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=35792.msg1000898#msg1000898 date=1259445713]
France got thrashed too. New Zealand were absolutely brilliant tonight - Dan Carter in particular.
[/quote]

I was going to post about Carter. My God, he must be the best number ten ever to have played the game. He was just unbelievably good tonight.

France looked ragged from start to finish though.

Back
Top Bottom