• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Six Nations

Jürgen4PM

Well-Known
So squads will be named soon, so what's going to unfold this year?

I see Ben Morgan has opted to play for England. I'm gutted personally, he's going to be a top class international number eight.

O'Driscoll is out for us. O'Connell as captain.

It shouldn't make much difference and certainly hasn't hindered Leinster this season.

Not expecting much from England. They're regrouping, and Lancaster is a grey man with a very average CV as well as being an Andrew acolyte. I hope to goodness they appoint someone of real personal and professional stature to the full-time post.

In terms of playing personnel, Care is out of the squad after a conviction for drink-driving.

With the players they can select from and them having a point to prove, i have a horrible feeling England will do well this year.

As for us, well AW Jones is out and so is Charteris, so we're a little short on second row options. The big concern though is the front row, we desperately need to find at least a couple of new props.

Rosco: From the little i've seen it seems that Fitzgerald has found a bit of form, will they play him?

Fitzgerald is another example of how you need almost a year (after being declared fit) to come back from knee injuries - see my Lucas comments. Skrtel is there now too.

I think I read he's been left out of the training squad for now. I must check it out. McFadden is in instead i think.

Lancaster heralds “new era” with England Six Nations squad

NINE uncapped players have been named in England’s squad for the RBS Six Nations with interim boss Stuart Lancaster looking to start a “new era for English rugby”.

The England senior and Saxons Elite Player squads were revealed by Lancaster and assistant coach Graham Rowntree at West Park Leeds RUFC this afternoon, Wednesday, and a total of 15 changes have been made to the senior squad announced last August.

Following England’s disappointing World Cup campaign in New Zealand, Lancaster, a former Wakefield RFC player and PE teacher at Kettlethorpe High School, has taken the opportunity to rejuvenate the national squad with fresh faces before they kick-off the Six Nations with a trip to Murrayfield to face Scotland on February 4.

Saracens centres Brad Barritt and Owen Farrell, Northampton Saints’ Lee Dickson and Calum Clark, and Scarlets’ Ben Morgan have been called up for senior duty for the first time while Brad Barritt, from Saracens, Harlequins duo Joe Marler and Jordan Turner-Hall and Wasps hooker Rob Webber are also named.

Lewis Moody, Jonny Wilkinson and Steve Thompson have retired and injuries have kept Andrew Sheridan and Richard Wigglesworth out.

Lancaster said: “This is about a new era for English rugby. I always thought that January 2012 would be a defining moment.

“It is an exciting and talented squad. We want to be the best and it is an opportunity to build a squad that has potential now and in the future.

“I trust the players we have selected. They have been on the cusp and they deserve their chance.”

He added: “Lots of players have been putting their hands up and there were some tough calls to make.

“However, in line with the selection philosophy we have taken the chance to make changes and give players opportunities to be part of the journey towards 2015.”

The squad will meet for their pre-RBS 6 Nations training camp on Monday, January 23, and use facilities around the North Leeds area, including West Park Leeds and weights facilities at the Leeds Rugby Academy at Kirkstall.

England Elite Player Squad (EPS) for the RBS Six Nations - Forwards: Mouritz Botha (Saracens), Calum Clark (Northampton Saints), Alex Corbisiero (London Irish), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Tom Croft (Tigers), Louis Deacon (Tigers), Phil Dowson (Saints), Dylan Hartley (Saints), Courtney Lawes (Saints), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Lee Mears (Bath), Ben Morgan (Scarlets), Tom Palmer (Stade Francais), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Matt Stevens (Saracens), Rob Webber (Wasps), David Wilson (Bath Rugby), Tom Wood (Northampton Saints).

Backs: Chris Ashton (Saints), Brad Barritt (Saracens), Mike Brown (Harlequins), Lee Dickson (Saints), Owen Farrell (Saracens), Toby Flood (Tigers), Ben Foden (Saints), Charlie Hodgson (Saracens), Joe Simpson (Wasps), Charlie Sharples (Gloucester), David Strettle (Saracens), Manusamoa Tuilagi (Tigers), Jordan Turner-Hall (Harlequins), Ben Youngs (Tigers).

From training to squad selection Lancaster has got everything right so far imo.

I wonder how long they'll stick by some of these youngsters for though.

Bit soon to say he's got everything right IMO. We needed a new start and he's been brave enough to provide that, but we've yet to see whether (a) the right players have been picked and (b) the new coaching team can mould them into a team capable of performing at an acceptable level.

Yes i know mate, but personally i like the way they've gone with squad selection + thought it was a very good call to base themselves in Leeds (instead of going on their usual 5 star warm training trip).

I know you quite rightly have your doubts about this current set up, but as an outsider looking in, it seems to be on the right track.

Remember that game Peter Taylor was England Manager? Bit like this.

Owen Farrell isn't a centre. I'm glad he's in but he isn't a centre.

I always liked Dave Strettle, good winger, saw him train at Widnes once. Much more dangerous than Cueto who has seemed to get more game time.

England should play Ashton full back.

Ireland Squad (24+6)

Forwards:

Rory Best (Banbridge - Ulster)
Tom Court (Malone - Ulster)
Mike Ross (Clontarf - Leinster)
Sean Cronin (St.Mary's College - Leinster)
Cian Healy (Clontarf - Leinster)
Leo Cullen (Blackrock College - Leinster)
Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution - Munster)
Paul O'Connell (Young Munster - Munster)
Donnacha Ryan (Shannon - Munster)
Stephen Ferris (Dungannon - Ulster)
Jamie Heaslip (Naas - Leinster)
Shane Jennings (St.Mary's College - Leinster)
Sean O'Brien (Clontarf - Leinster)

Backs:

Conor Murray (Garryowen - Munster)
Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne - Leinster)
Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution - Munster)
Jonathan Sexton (St.Mary's College - Leinster)
Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere - Leinster)
Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne - Leinster)
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena - Ulster)
Paddy Wallace Keith Earls (Young Munster - Munster)
Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
Rob Kearney (UCD - Leinster)
Paddy Wallace (Ballymena - Ulster)

Ian Nagle (Cork Constitution - Munster)*
Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution - Munster)*
Tiernan O'Halloran (Galwegians - Connacht)*
Paddy McAllister (Ballynahinch - Ulster)*
Andrew Conway (Blackrock College - Leinster)*
Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution - Munster)*

*Denotes uncapped players

Wales coach Warren Gatland names Gavin Henson in Six Nations squad

Wales coach Warren Gatland has named Gavin Henson in his 35-man Six Nations squad.

Henson returns to the Wales set-up despite facing the axe from the Cardiff Blues squad for this weekend's crunch Heineken Cup showdown with Racing Metro.

World Cup skipper Sam Warburton keeps the armband for the tournament, while all of Wales' exiled French contingent are selected despite only being able to attend three days of Gatland's pre-tournament training camp in Poland.

James Hook, Lee Byrne and Mike Phillips are joined by Blues and Lions centre Jamie Roberts, who is also included despite currently suffering from a knee injury.

Scarlets outside-half Stephen Jones is the only big-name casualty from the World Cup squad as Gatland looks to the future.

Wales head to the Spala training centre for a seven-day camp at the beginning of next week, with the squad set to be trimmed down ahead of the big Six Nations kick-off against Ireland on February 5.

The Wales coach has stuck with the majority of his much hailed Rugby World Cup side, adding just four players who did not feature in either his extended 45-man pre-RWC training squad or the December international against Australia at the Millennium Stadium at the start of this season.

Saracens prop Rhys Gill, uncapped Ospreys pair Ashley Beck and Rhys Webb and young Blues wing Harry Robinson are the only players in the squad who have not been in the international selector’s plans this season so far, with Gill earning his only international cap two years ago as a Six Nations replacement against Ireland.

Robinson, Webb, Beck, Scarlets prop Rhodri Jones and colleague Liam Williams – who both featured in the training squad which faced the Wallabies last month – and Scarlets lock Lou Reed (lock) are the only uncapped players selected.

Gatland is confident he has the right blend of youth, talent and experience to mount a Six Nations title challenge next month, which begins with a Celtic double header against Ireland, away, and Scotland, at home at the Millennium Stadium, on the first two weekends in February.

“We have had to strike a balance with this squad, the majority are those players who excelled for Wales during the Rugby World Cup, but are also taking the opportunity to look at one or two youngsters before probably cutting our numbers even further before the start of the RBS 6 Nations,” said Gatland.

“We have kept a couple of older heads and we have injuries, with Alun Wyn Jones, Josh Turnbull, Rob McCusker and Luke Charteris all unavailable to us, but the emphasis on development and planning for the future is there for everyone to see.

“These are exciting times for Welsh rugby, we showed a huge amount of potential at the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand and we will be working as hard as humanly possible to ensure that we reach our potential in this year’s 6 Nations championship.”

WALES SQUAD

BACKS

Mike PHILLIPS (BAYONNE)

Lloyd WILLIAMS (CARDIFF BLUES)

Rhys WEBB (OSPREYS)

Rhys PRIESTLAND (SCARLETS)

James HOOK (PERPIGNAN)

Jamie ROBERTS (CARDIFF BLUES)

Jonathan DAVIES (SCARLETS)

Scott WILLIAMS (SCARLETS)

Gavin HENSON (CARDIFF BLUES)

Ashley BECK (OSPREYS – Uncapped)

George NORTH (SCARLETS)

Leigh HALFPENNY (CARDIFF BLUES)

Alex CUTHBERT (CARDIFF BLUES)

Harry ROBINSON (CARDIFF BLUES)

Liam WILLIAMS (SCARLETS – Uncapped)

Lee BYRNE (ASM CLERMONT AUVERGNE)

FORWARDS

Craig MITCHELL (EXETER CHIEFS)

Adam JONES (OSPREYS)

Ryan BEVINGTON (OSPREYS)

Gethin JENKINS (CARDIFF BLUES)

Paul JAMES (OSPREYS)

Rhys GILL (SARACENS)

Rhodri JONES (SCARLETS – Uncapped)

Matthew REES (SCARLETS)

Huw BENNETT (OSPREYS)

Ken OWENS (SCARLETS)

Bradley DAVIES (BLUES)

Ian EVANS (OSPREYS)

Lou REED (SCARLETS – Uncapped)

Ryan JONES (OSPREYS)

Dan LYDIATE (NEWPORT GWENT DRAGONS)

Sam WARBURTON (CARDIFF BLUES, CAPTAIN)

Justin TIPURIC (OSPREYS)

Toby FALETAU (Dragons)

Andy POWELL (Sale)

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=48142.msg1466265#msg1466265 date=1326917493]
No Fitzgerald?
[/quote]

Yeah he's had a good season so far so is a little unlucky to be left out. Doc can probably give you a better idea of the Ulster lads that should have been included but it seems harsh on Dan Tuohy (second row), O'Callaghan has been fairly poor this season, and Cullen is apparently injured.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=48142.msg1466711#msg1466711 date=1326990652]
[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=48142.msg1466265#msg1466265 date=1326917493]
No Fitzgerald?
[/quote]

Yeah he's had a good season so far so is a little unlucky to be left out. Doc can probably give you a better idea of the Ulster lads that should have been included but it seems harsh on Dan Tuohy (second row), O'Callaghan has been fairly poor this season, and Cullen is apparently injured.
[/quote]

There's a few Ulster lads that have looked international class. Why Paddy Wallace gets in ahead of Humphries, Cave (who is a proper line breaking centre, though he might have picked up a knock last week), Gilroy and others I'll never know. Wallace is far leads impressive than all of the aforementioned. Tuohy has been excellent as you say, and Chris Henry seems to have come on again. He bossed Leicester last week, and broke the gain line with impunity. With Heaslip looking like he's had some sort of wasting disease, it would have been worth is having a look. As I said in the other thread, I think it is ludicrous that we don't bring in Paul Marshall. He is a truly cracking scrum half, and has all the confidence in the world. Trimble needs to get the backing of Kidney this campaign, as he's been in terrific form this season.

Fuck me, Marshall hasn't even been selected for the Wolfhounds. What in the name of God is Kidney going to learn by selecting Boss and O'Leary at scrum half for our formative side? I fucking despair.

Ulster coach Brian McLaughlin has said that he is "disappointed" at Declan Kidney's decision not to include Chris Henry and Dan Tuohy in Ireland's initial Six Nations squad.

Henry and Tuohy have been included in the second-string Wolfhounds squad but McLaughlin believes they should have been named in the 24-man senior panel.

The omission of Paul Marshall and Craig Gilroy from the Wolfhounds squad also surprised McLaughlin.

"It's a bit disappointing," he said.

"Declan has decided that he is going to stick with his World Cup squad and give them an opportunity in the Six Nations.

"Chris Henry has been exceptional (for Ulster) all season and Dan Tuohy has shown in the last three or four games that he's very capable of playing at that level.

"We're disappointed that those two are not included in the senior squad. (Although) we're delighted that they are going to get an opportunity to show what they can do with the Wolfhounds along with Nevin Spence.

"With the Wolfhounds, we feel that Paul Marshall along with Craig Gilroy and maybe a couple of others deserved an opportunity - especially given the way we have played in the last month.

"It's disappointing but they have a great opportunity on Saturday against Clermont to show what they can do and let their feet to the talking."

Kidney has stayed loyal to the men that played at the World Cup by naming no uncapped players in his initial 24-man squad for the Six Nations Championship.

With Gordon D'Arcy, Paddy Wallace and Eoin Reddan included, Luke Fitzgerald, Isaac Boss and Tomas O'Leary are named in the second-string Wolfhounds panel.

However, Kidney has emphasised that Wolfhounds players could yet be promoted to the senior squad.

The 22-man squad for the Six Nations opener against Wales on 5 February will be picked after the Wolfhounds' clash against England Saxons on 30 January.

Aaron Shingler (Flanker) has been called up by Wales for our training camp. Just out of interest he's the brother of the lad that was picked by Scotland this year , yet it was vetoed by the IRB (he'd played for Wales u20's).

Ireland Squad:

Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)
Chris Henry (Ballymena/Ulster)
Denis Hurley (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Shane Jennings (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
David Kearney (Lansdowne/Leinster)*
Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster)*
Eoin O'Malley (Old Belvedere/Leinster)*
Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
Rhys Ruddock (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
Dan Tuohy (Ballymena/Ulster)
Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster)
Brett Wilkinson (Galwegians/Connacht)*
Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster)*

* Denotes uncapped player

We've delayed naming our side due to concerns over Roberts, Lydiate and Preistland (Jenkins, Charteris and A W Jones already being ruled out).

After the world cup quarter final i can't help but think that the Irish will be well up for this one on their home patch. Taking this into account and our key injuries i'll have to predict an Irish win.

Seeing as France have England and Ireland on French soil, i can't see anyone doing the Grand slam other than them.

Personally i'm not expecting too much from Wales. I'd like to think that Gatland is looking ahead and will give valuable game time to players like Cuthbert, Mitchell and Gills in this championship.

Wales finish: 3rd

Despite my misgivings about his appointment for a variety of reasons, I like the tone Lancaster's set so far. However, the scale of the changes he's made will take time to bed in, so my expectations for England aren't sky-high either. Not much of a clue where we'll finish up TBH, except to say we won't be last.

We're fourth favourites for the CHampionship this year. Mainly because we play both France and England away - and I can only see us being beaten by France. So I'm backing us

Ireland team:

R Kearney (Leinster); T Bowe (Ospreys), K Earls (Munster), G D'Arcy (Leinster), A Trimble (Ulster); J Sexton (Leinster), C Murray (Munster); C Healy (Leinster), R Best (Ulster), M Ross (Leinster), D O'Callaghan (Munster), P O'Connell (Munster, capt), S Ferris (Ulster), S O'Brien (Leinster), J Heaslip (Leinster).

Replacements: S Cronin (Leinster), T Court (Ulster), D Ryan (Munster), P O'Mahony (Munster), E Reddan (Leinster), R O'Gara (Munster), F McFadden (Leinster)

I'm not mad about Earls at 13 any more, I think McFadden at 12 and D'Arcy at 13 would be a better combo. O'Callaghan shouldn't be playing either

England team to play Scotland on Saturday

B Foden (Northampton); C Ashton (Northampton), B Barritt (Saracens), O Farrell (Saracens), D Strettle (Saracens); C Hodgson (Saracens), B Youngs (Leicester); A Corbisiero (London Irish), D Hartley (Northampton), D Cole (Leicester), M Botha (Saracens), T Palmer (Stade Français), T Croft (Leicester), C Robshaw (Harlequins, captain), P Dowson (Northampton).

I'm happy to see Rees is out for Wales. If Roberts and Priestland are out I'll be even happier. I'd prefer to see Hook at 10 for Wales because of how long he holds onto the ball for, I wouldn't like to see him at 13 against Earls though

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=48142.msg1476004#msg1476004 date=1328195888]
I'm happy to see Rees is out for Wales. If Roberts and Priestland are out I'll be even happier. I'd prefer to see Hook at 10 for Wales because of how long he holds onto the ball for, I wouldn't like to see him at 13 against Earls though
[/quote]

My sources say Doc Roberts and Priestland are in the side, but Lydiate has missed out.

Side I've heard is:
Halfpenny, North, J Davies, Roberts, Cuthbert, Priestland, Phillips, Gill, Bennett, A Jones, Evans, B Davies, R Jones, Faletau, Warburton (c)

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=48142.msg1475942#msg1475942 date=1328190927]
Ireland team:

R Kearney (Leinster); T Bowe (Ospreys), K Earls (Munster), G D'Arcy (Leinster), A Trimble (Ulster); J Sexton (Leinster), C Murray (Munster); C Healy (Leinster), R Best (Ulster), M Ross (Leinster), D O'Callaghan (Munster), P O'Connell (Munster, capt), S Ferris (Ulster), S O'Brien (Leinster), J Heaslip (Leinster).

Replacements: S Cronin (Leinster), T Court (Ulster), D Ryan (Munster), P O'Mahony (Munster), E Reddan (Leinster), R O'Gara (Munster), F McFadden (Leinster)

I'm not mad about Earls at 13 any more, I think McFadden at 12 and D'Arcy at 13 would be a better combo. O'Callaghan shouldn't be playing either
[/quote]

Keith Earls has just pulled out, with McFadden coming in.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=48142.msg1476003#msg1476003 date=1328195704]
England team to play Scotland on Saturday

B Foden (Northampton); C Ashton (Northampton), B Barritt (Saracens), O Farrell (Saracens), D Strettle (Saracens); C Hodgson (Saracens), B Youngs (Leicester); A Corbisiero (London Irish), D Hartley (Northampton), D Cole (Leicester), M Botha (Saracens), T Palmer (Stade Français), T Croft (Leicester), C Robshaw (Harlequins, captain), P Dowson (Northampton).
[/quote]

That front five may struggle.

Back
Top Bottom