• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So we're on the hunt for a new manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't particularly enamoured when Kenny was appointed as I felt he'd been out the game too long and his record at Newcastle and Celtic was far from shining. However, there's no-one I wanted more to succeed than him. Yes, the league form has been atrocious but in my opinion he should have been given another season.

There's some vitriol being directed at FSG which I think is unfair. Comparing them to Hicks and Gillett is well wide of the mark. I don't think Kenny was their long term choice and I mentioned ages ago that they were making a rod for their own back by appointing him because of the situation they find themselves in now. They should have cleared the decks and implemented their long term plan straight away, appointing a manager, CEO etc to build a new vision and plan for the club. I'm going to see what happens over the summer before having a go at them. Yes, Kenny should have been given another season but at this moment in time I can fully understand why FSG have made the decision they have. I don't like their statement though, "Part of the Liverpool family etc", they've not earned the right to be considered part of that yet.

Agree with this part.

So anyway, if Martinez is our new manager, are people going to get behind him and support him?

Just asking because we know how things went with Hodgson, people were against him from the start which didn't help.

Is the same going to happen here?

I will give him a chance to prove himself. A couple of seasons at least ;)

Roy failed miserable with his fuckwit attitutde pretending we were relgation fodder. I have never ever seen something as embarrasing in my life. Martinez is a much better solution, but I am not encourage by the tought of it.

For people hoping for Klopp, forget it. He is in the middle of a mission, and still have a few more years in Dortmund in him before he will look elsewhere. And he should, so leave the man and the club alone.

Or maybe a full season. Actually, silverware doesn't matter 4th place is all we care about now. S'all about the monaaayyyyy

yeah, us, no one else gives a shit about. even the fa devalue their own competition. next season we should be looking to climb the league and not have any distractions.

We have the distraction of 3 cup competitions neil. We should withdraw from them based on the fact they do not matter

There is no time to be sentimental if we want to get back to the top. FSG must act in the best interest of the club. I have no problem with them being ruthless. It will ensure that the players and staff stay on their toes.

This is an opportunity to make a statement. The managerial appointment will show their ambition and so will a new stadium.

Absolutly. Every throphy matters.
Kenny deserves a lot of praise for the CC win and we should be eternaly greatful that he came in and took charge. He'll always be the King.

But, it shouldnt come as a surprise that he had to go given the season we've had.
Cant be sentimental when it comes to these issues. Sadly, the worst results in 60 odd years cant give you one more season these days.

Everyone is entitled to react in their own way, but I think it a bit OTT by saying the love for the club is gone and football will never have the same meaning again.

There is no time to be sentimental if we want to get back to the top. FSG must act in the best interest of the club. I have no problem with them being ruthless. It will ensure that the players and staff stay on their toes.

This is an opportunity to make a statement. The managerial appointment will show their ambition and so will a new stadium.

You're quite right. Let's see who we land. And where the fuck IS the stadium ?

Well that wasn't a shock in the end eh?

I'd never realised Kuyt wielded such power in the corridors of Anfield.

You're quite right. Let's see who we land. And where the fuck IS the stadium ?

busy1.png

I just came back from a game of footy - two of my mates came up after the game and said, "You're the most loyal person ever - we've never seen you so down on the pitch and we know why." Not exactly true - I was like that the day I played a match after a bad breakup, but still. I'll always love Liverpool, just like Kenny ... but something has ended for me ... Something that just can't be replaced. Sort of like Fowler being sold to to Leed ended one stage of being a fan, I think this will take me to the next. I will back the next manager, as Pete asked, but I don't know if that passion will come back ... I honestly believe we were onto something ... Terrible season, but the blocks were in place, and I wanted to see him succeed him so badly. I wanted him to bring us back to where I do believe we belong. I guess he'll just have to be at Anfield and smile from the stands when #19 comes along ...

If i were the new manager I would play ressies in the cups.
You wont keep your job winning trophies in THIS Liverpool.
I would only even bother turning up for league games. Just send my assistant for the cup matches and just intentionally go out to stay strong for the league.

@ letallecwiz..

Blind optimism m8.. Sad as it is he had to go. If it was any other manger he would of gone a long time ago..

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know what FSG's Managerial Criteria is. Whatever it may be, I don't want Gullit or MON anywhere near us.

Martinez has the makings of a good manager but can he step it up at a club like Liverpool? AVB has great credentials but is he mentally tough enough? Rafa would make us hard to beat again and return Fortress Anfield to us. However, do we risk going back? If it doesn't workout then we're back to square one. Guardiola is an interesting option though. Can he do it at another club and breed success?

Everything from here on in is a calculated gamble. My personal choice would be Klopp but that is a pipe dream. I just don't see him leaving Dortmund at the height of their glory days. He would at least want to try win the CL after their dismal showing this season.

Still gutted

YANKS OUT

Still proud to be in the DA though, no matter who we hire - we'll win the league despite, not bacuase of, NESV

@ letallecwiz..

Blind optimism m8.. Sad as it is he had to go. If it was any other manger he would of gone a long time ago..

Remember you said this Jono ... When our next manager wins nothing, and barely gets us into the Europa League, you better be calling for his head ... This isn't about optimism. This is about taking a club that was on the verge of ruin - financial and in the league - and pulling it up. Rome wasn't built in a day, it takes time. He had a torrid year - but he could have made it work. Now, we'll start from square 1 again. New gaffa, new assistant manager, new tactics, new everything. The gaffa knows - 4th or home. Great great statement we've made today.

@ letallecwiz..

That ant thing you have as your sig is fucking shit and annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember you said this Jono ... When our next manager wins nothing, and barely gets us into the Europa League, you better be calling for his head ... This isn't about optimism. This is about taking a club that was on the verge of ruin - financial and in the league - and pulling it up. Rome wasn't built in a day, it takes time. He had a torrid year - but he could have made it work. Now, we'll start from square 1 again. New gaffa, new assistant manager, new tactics, new everything. The gaffa knows - 4th or home. Great great statement we've made today.

I get your point, but in this day and age, that is what football is about.. We are Liverpool football club.. We need to be alongside the elite clubs...

Winning the carling cup ain't going to get you that..

That's the way the game is.. Kenny was never a long term solution, the more the season went on, the more realization sunk in.. that was certainly the case..

People slate Rafa..but he had us challenging on all fronts a few years back..

Where we should be..

Last edited:
I'll be happy if we show progress, but you say "He had a torrid year - but he could have made it work". Key word being "could". What if he didn't?
Nothing this season has indicated to me that we were getting stronger and better. There was no progress IMO.
I'm just saying, what is there that could convince these "yanks" to let Kenny have another go at it, transfers and all?

there is a sense of entitlement with liverpool and fuck knows where it comes from seeing as we haven't won the league in 21 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom