• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match Sparta Prague (H) - EL - Thursday 20:00

----------------------------Kelleher
---Bradley - - Quansah - - Gomez - - Tsimikas
--------------------------McConnell
---------- -Szoboszlai-----------Clarke
---------Salah - - - - - - Danns - - - - - - -Gakpo

I'm fine with something like this. Get minutes into Salah and Dom and then ease more kids in when the game is won. Elliott deserves a week off.

Yeah.....think I prefer my idea.

Which one of your stupid ideas do you prefer - the one where we give a 16 yo CB his debut alongside another kid or play Endo out of position.

If you’re going to play Endo, which is fine (although he’s prob one that could use a rest), then why not at least play him in his normal position - and why not then play Gomez - he doesn’t need to play LB because we have 2 other LB’s and Bradley has had his game time managed recently, so he’s good for 60 minutes.

Gomez could replace Virgil at CB or slot into DM for 60 mins.

Depends what you thinks important I guess - rest for Gomez vs rest for Endo, vs letting Virgil have a gentle stroll around the pitch.

I'd go with this line up:

----------------------Kelleher

Bradley---Gomez----Quansah---Robbo

------Szobo----McConnell-----Clark

Salah-----------Danns----------Gakpo

Last edited:
----------------------------Kelleher
---Bradley - - Quansah - - Gomez - - Tsimikas
--------------------------McConnell
---------- -Szoboszlai-----------Clarke
---------Salah - - - - - - Danns - - - - - - -Gakpo

I'm fine with something like this. Get minutes into Salah and Dom and then ease more kids in when the game is won. Elliott deserves a week off.
Great minds

Which one of your stupid ideas do you prefer - the one where we give a 16 yo CB his debut alongside another kid or play Endo out of position.
Both.

Much rather see Endo at CB than Gomez at DM, Endo has actually played CB more than twice.

Also much rather see a 17 year old debutise over our only other fit senior CB in a dead rubber game. Gomez doesn’t need to be involved at all and needs the rest anyway.

I cannot see a world where we lose a 4 goal lead at home. Even if it meant bringing on the big guns after 30 mins if we were 2 or 3 down.

Risk him in a match in which we are already 5-1 up? What are you smoking Stevie.

Yes Froggie - playing a 17 year old at CB alongside a pile of other u21 yo players even though we’re 5-1 up is a risk.

Don’t go all Tarkin on me… it hurts when you get a torpedo up the thermal exhaust port.

The right thing to do is play a reasonably strong team - similar to the first leg and sub off players as the games goes on - not go all gung ho Endo Vs the world from the start, find ourselves wobbling and have to bring people on early to make sure we don’t do a Barca.

Gomez will likely play and captain the side if Virgil isn’t playing, given who else is available.

I’m a fan of Gomez and he’s been great - but right now, Endo is more important and needs a rest - because we can likely rest Gomez against Utd in the Cup.

If we are going to play Nallo - I’d rather Virgil breaks him in gently.

Yes Froggie - playing a 17 year old at CB alongside a pile of other u21 yo players even though we’re 5-1 up is a risk.

Don’t go all Tarkin on me… it hurts when you get a torpedo up the thermal exhaust port.

The right thing to do is play a reasonably strong team - similar to the first leg and sub off players as the games goes on - not go all gung ho Endo Vs the world from the start, find ourselves wobbling and have to bring people on early to make sure we don’t do a Barca.

Gomez will likely play and captain the side if Virgil isn’t playing, given who else is available.

I’m a fan of Gomez and he’s been great - but right now, Endo is more important and needs a rest - because we can likely rest Gomez against Utd in the Cup.

But we shouldn't be starting a 16 year that has never even come on as a sub for 10-15 mins ! So don't need VvD. And my team is exactly that mix :

Obviously we need a strong enough team not to lose at Anfield. Whilst resting all those players that desperately need resting to be ready for United (A) in the FAC at the weekend. This means minutes for Szobo and Mo but not starts (or maybe 50 mins and then subbed).

Deffo go along with resting Kelleher. He's played every game recently and although fitness isn't an issue mental acuity could be with the deep concentration required of keepers. Quansah plays again assuming Konate is back for United.

I'm not starting Nallo or Nyoni ... both 16 yr olds. Musialowski to come on.

--------------------------- Adrian

Bradley ------ Quansah ------ Gomez ----- Tsimikas

------------------------- McConnell

------------- Clark --------------------- Gakpo

---- Salah ----------- Danns --------- Koumas

I agree with you.. shorten the game before putting in the kindergarten.

But we shouldn't be starting a 16 year that has never even come on as a sub for 10-15 mins ! So don't need VvD. And my team is exactly that mix :

That midfield is problematic though - you’re relying on Gakpo to lead and organise it - @Fabio will have a fit.

I’d at least play Dom - I’d and push Gakpo up front.

Anyway… Binomial is arguing that he’d play Endo or Nallo at CB instead of Gomez along with the rest of that back four and a young midfield.

That’s the stupid risky part.

GK - Kelleher - none of this resting bollocks. It's at home, he's on a roll and is unlikely to be too disturbed by SP
FBs - Bradders & Tsimikas nailed on
CBs - Quansah & VVD - nice and solid - sub on a kid in the 2nd half if were still out of sight

DM - Gomez until we are deffo safe, then McConnell
RM - Szobo
LM - Clark (although he prefers right)

Upfront - Diaz, Gakpo and Danns (if his head is ok)

Van dijks going to play. We all know this, right?

Like I said - he could play in his slippers while sitting in a comfy chair sipping on a cup of tea with about as much chance of getting injured stirring his tea - he barely broke sweat against City.

Like I said - he could play in his slippers while sitting in a comfy chair sipping on a cup of tea with about as much chance of getting injured stirring his tea - he barely broke sweat against City.
exactly. The Lord is a Sheppard

GK - Kelleher - none of this resting bollocks. It's at home, he's on a roll and is unlikely to be too disturbed by SP
FBs - Bradders & Tsimikas nailed on
CBs - Quansah & VVD - nice and solid - sub on a kid in the 2nd half if were still out of sight

DM - Gomez until we are deffo safe, then McConnell
RM - Szobo
LM - Clark (although he prefers right)

Upfront - Diaz, Gakpo and Danns (if his head is ok)

This… apart from Diaz - he ran himself into the ground - I’d give Koumas a start.

Surely this is about game management - decent side, control possession, knock the ball around, draw them out cause they have to have a crack, pick ‘em off, stroll about a bit in first gear and give the kids a platform to come in a enjoy themselves for the last half hour.

Momentum is important.

That midfield is problematic though - you’re relying on Gakpo to lead and organise it - @Fabio will have a fit.

I’d at least play Dom - I’d and push Gakpo up front.

Anyway… Binomial is arguing that he’d play Endo or Nallo at CB instead of Gomez along with the rest of that back four and a young midfield.

That’s the stupid risky part.
I haven't wanted to see Gomez at CB for a long time now, I don't forgot the trauma he put me through most weeks in the last 3 years so yes. He needs the rest as much as Endo, played 90mins in each of the last 3 league games + the 90 v Soton + had to come on early in the cup final and play 60+30 and also played 45 in the away leg. That's a lot of football recently.

Whoever we play is a risk unfortunately, Gomez plays and picks up an injury....risk. Virgil plays and picks up a knock, risk. Play a teenager at the back and if he looks shit......risk, but he comes out unscathed, then what? A genius move. There is a risk attached whichever way you want to spin it.

We played a strong team in the first leg with the view to wrapping up the tie there and then, a 5-1 away win does that for me. It's Sparta Prague not Barca.

I've seen about 10 different line ups people want to see, so fucking what?

I haven't wanted to see Gomez at CB for a long time now, I don't forgot the trauma he put me through most weeks in the last 3 years so yes. He needs the rest as much as Endo, played 90mins in each of the last 3 league games + the 90 v Soton + had to come on early in the cup final and play 60+30 and also played 45 in the away leg. That's a lot of football recently.

Whoever we play is a risk unfortunately, Gomez plays and picks up an injury....risk. Virgil plays and picks up a knock, risk. Play a teenager at the back and if he looks shit......risk, but he comes out unscathed, then what? A genius move. There is a risk attached whichever way you want to spin it.

We played a strong team in the first leg with the view to wrapping up the tie there and then, a 5-1 away win does that for me. It's Sparta Prague not Barca.

I've seen about 10 different line ups people want to see, so fucking what?

How many lineups have Nallo or Endo at CB?

How many lineups have Nallo or Endo at CB?
Just me and Brizzle. So what? How many line ups have Gomez at DM?

Didn't we hand a 17 year old Koumetio his debut away to Midtylland in the CL? We came away with a 1-1.....we also lost Jota needlessly. Nallo has been on the bench a few times now, I don't see this game being a Lovren v Spurs first half for him. If Klopp has faith to put these guys on the bench then for me that's a good enough indicator they can start in games like these, no harm seeing what he's about.

We've already lost Konate for a few weeks, I'd rather wait until he's fully back.

Last edited:
Just me and Brizzle. So what? How many line ups have Gomez at DM?

Didn't we hand a 17 year old Koumetio his debut away to Midtylland in the CL? We came away with a 1-1.....we also lost Jota needlessly. Nallo has been on the bench a few times now, I don't see this game being a Lovren v Spurs first half for him. If Klopp have faith to put these guys on the bench then for me that's a good enough indicator they can start in games like these, no harm seeing what he's about.

We've already lost Konate for a few weeks, I'd rather wait until he's fully back.

Koumeto is an interesting one - he’s never really recovered from getting hooked at half time in, was it a League Cup game, when he had an absolute ’mare.m - when he played in a weak team.

Also - this isn’t a dead rubber in the sense that the Midtyland game was - because we can still lose this game - however unlikely.

If you’re going to chuck Nallo in at the deep end - then Virgil is beside him - and when was the last time or how often any one of the kids played a full 90 mins at senior level.

Besides - I don’t think Nallo can play in Europe - he hasn’t been at tge club long enough.

Yeah.. neither Nallo or Nyoni qualify for the B list because you need to be registered with the club for 3 years.

I think folk need to realise that resting a player (ie. Elliott) and keeping a player out (ie. VVD) of the line up are two separate things.

We’re 5-1 up at home against the weakest side left in the 2nd tier euro comp. Why on earth would anyone want to risk a random injury to any of our key players in a tie we’ve put to bed already?

Anyone who wants Virgil, Kelleher, Endo, Nunez or Macca on the pitch is mental. Szobo, Salah etc might need some minutes for sharpness but otherwise play the second string and kids for fucks sake.

Lets not kid ourselves that we can play the U18s in this game. Yes, we have a 4 goal lead but its important to keep going and continuing with the momentum we've got.

Klopp will set us up to win this game. But resting the likes of Virgil is a must, obvs.

Koumeto is an interesting one - he’s never really recovered from getting hooked at half time in, was it a League Cup game, when he had an absolute ’mare.m - when he played in a weak team.

Also - this isn’t a dead rubber in the sense that the Midtyland game was - because we can still lose this game - however unlikely.

If you’re going to chuck Nallo in at the deep end - then Virgil is beside him - and when was the last time or how often any one of the kids played a full 90 mins at senior level.

Besides - I don’t think Nallo can play in Europe - he hasn’t been at tge club long enough.
That's fine. A back 5 of Kelleher Bradley Endo Quansah and Kostas for me then. What's wrong with letting Endo show off his versatility too? CB isn't a new position for him. All the confidence he can perform there in these games. With him being far more robust over someone like Gomez, I'd be resting Gomez for this one. Mix of youth and experience like how it should be in these games.

I think folk need to realise that resting a player (ie. Elliott) and keeping a player out (ie. VVD) of the line up are two separate things.

We’re 5-1 up at home against the weakest side left in the 2nd tier euro comp. Why on earth would anyone want to risk a random injury to any of our key players in a tie we’ve put to bed already?

Anyone who wants Virgil, Kelleher, Endo, Nunez or Macca on the pitch is mental. Szobo, Salah etc might need some minutes for sharpness but otherwise play the second string and kids for fucks sake.

You can’t play with fear about injuries.

i don’t see the risk in playing Kelleher - it’ll keep him sharp.

Virgil - only because he’ll cruise through it - and even then I’d probably play Gomez - just a question of where.

The others I agree with resting.

Back
Top Bottom