• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The 2009 Andy Murray - Praise and Abuse Thread

The Nomad

Very Well-Known
Well... Since Mr Murray has stated he wants to win a Grand Slam this year, and has started like a steam train... Thought we might as well have 1 thread for all his ups and downs, rather than opening up a new thread for all his tournaments he may win or crash and burn in... whichever side of the fence your on.

Started off with a World Challenge win in Abu Dhabi, and is now in the Semis of the Qatar Open v Federer.

Predictions for the year?

There'll be nothing but praise from me. He'll win a slam within the next two years, most likely the Aus or US Open.

[quote author=Mr_V link=topic=30303.msg772767#msg772767 date=1231460129]
Well... Since Mr Murray has stated he wants to win a Grand Slam this year, and has started like a steam train... Thought we might as well have 1 thread for all his ups and downs, rather than opening up a new thread for all his tournaments he may win or crash and burn in... whichever side of the fence your on.

Started off with a World Challenge win in Abu Dhabi, and is now in the Semis of the Qatar Open v Federer.

Predictions for the year?
[/quote]

Although i think the guy is a true arse, i believe he is going to be a huge sucess this season. I belive he could potentially win 2 slams this season the aus and us open.

edit: But what world beater isn't usually an arse or arrogant its part of there makeup.

He's a fucking brilliant player.

He's *almost* as good as Nadal. Not quite, but nearly. Despite him beating him recently Nadal will still have the edge when he really kicks into gear.

I reckon that slam'll come this year though.

Next year would be my guess. This year may just be a mite too soon.

And yes, he's a cnut, but not being one is what stopped Henman - who was world no.4 himself at one stage - from taking the last step up to greatness.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=30303.msg773082#msg773082 date=1231506909]

And yes, he's a cnut, but not being one is what stopped Henman - who was world no.4 himself at one stage - from taking the last step up to greatness.
[/quote]

Henmans problem he needed to grow a huge set of balls.. and didn't look Physical enough athlete wise to take that next step up..

He was too much Mr nice guy...

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=30303.msg773203#msg773203 date=1231514629]
Is he British now that he has started winning ?
[/quote]

Of course.

He'll probably remain that way until he goes out of Wimbledon, cos the great unwashed think Wimbledon's the only tennis event in the world, & the fact that grass is Murray's least favourite service escapes the press, conveniently.

Then he'll be 'that fucking useless jock' again.

And he again beats Federer.

Neither player hitting top gear but Murray beat him fairly comprehensively.

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=30303.msg773349#msg773349 date=1231522534]
And he again beats Federer.

Neither player hitting top gear but Murray beat him fairly comprehensively.
[/quote]

:eek: amazing

He'll never win anything. Not even a fcuking cereal cornflake toy.

Nadal will continue his domination, pulverization and obliteration, once he gets his groove into gear.

Although Murray and Djokovic will prove to be constant nuisances throughout...I'll give you that.

Roger = Shape up or ship out. No longer the force.

[quote author=Redshrek link=topic=30303.msg772770#msg772770 date=1231460370]edit: But what world beater isn't usually an arse or arrogant its part of there makeup.
[/quote]

Fernando Torres.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=30303.msg773203#msg773203 date=1231514629]
Is he British now that he has started winning ?
[/quote]

Fuck no. Never fucking ever.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=30303.msg773082#msg773082 date=1231506909]

[/quote]

Hold the bus!

Henman is a massive cunt. And his daddy is one of the most cunty looking chaps I've ever *met.

(*I mean seen on the telly)

I'll have to take your word for it, but I'd have expected that to put a bit more lead in his pencil when he was on court.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=30303.msg773581#msg773581 date=1231538376]
I'll have to take your word for it, but I'd have expected that to put a bit more lead in his pencil when he was on court.
[/quote]

He just wasn't good enough. He was aggressive in his own ineffectual way. 'Tiger' was the most unfitting epithet for the man.

Just battered Roddick in the Qatar final. 6-4, 6-2.

Roddick wasnt bad, Murray was just unplayable.

He will win a major this year, he just played some sublime tennis. From five minutes into the match there was no doubt who would win, he was that good.

Roddick has a pretty terrible record against Murray. Having said that, the same could be said about most players in the world just now.

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=30303.msg774276#msg774276 date=1231612008]
Roddick has a pretty terrible record against Murray. Having said that, the same could be said about most players in the world just now.
[/quote]

Roddick actually has a better record against Murray than Federer, 3-6 vs 2-5 respectively. Murray is just in red hot form at the moment.

However to have him instilled as bookies favourite for the Aussie open is stupid.

[quote author=Mr_V link=topic=30303.msg774477#msg774477 date=1231616278]
[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=30303.msg774276#msg774276 date=1231612008]
[/quote]

Roddick actually has a better record against Murray than Federer, 3-6 vs 2-5 respectively. Murray is just in red hot form at the moment.

However to have him instilled as bookies favourite for the Aussie open is stupid.
[/quote]

Christ on a bike. I didn't know he has been put down as favourite. He doesn't justify that yet, but you have to think that he'll be in with a sniff at all the majors this year, bar the French open perhaps.

Bear in mind that UK bookies though. Shitloads more people will be banging on Murray now so if he werent favourite they'd stand to lose a lot more, plus installing him as favourite generates more press & more bets, & therefore if he doesnt win, more profit.

[quote author=Roger REDerer link=topic=30303.msg773495#msg773495 date=1231530804]
Roger = Shape up or ship out. No longer the force.
[/quote]

Major irony alert!

I like Murray. He's a cocky little cunt and he gives it to the media when they are annoying him.
I find that refreshing.

As a player he is improving with every passing year and a slam is inevitable if he keeps it up.

What I find interesting is that Rafa, Novak and Andy are all within a year of each other, all 21/22... Roger is only 27 himself, it's exciting times to be a tennis fan, as the rivalry will be 4 way.

World number two Roger Federer says he is "surprised" Andy Murray has been installed as joint favourite for the Australian Open by some bookmakers.

Murray has had a superb start to the year, retaining his Qatar Open title a week after beating world number one Rafael Nadal and Federer in Abu Dhabi.

"He's playing well, finished strongly last year, but I'm surprised that the bookies say that," said Federer.

Murray responded that being favourite "doesn't make any difference" to him.

Federer will be attempting to win a record-equalling 14th Grand Slam title when the Australian Open starts next week in Melbourne.

And the Swiss star warned that Murray, who lost to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in round one last year, would not find it easy to add a first Grand Slam title to his list of successes.

I practised at one o'clock today and it was pretty grisly. Four hours in that heat is unbelievably tough

Andy Murray
"He's never won a Slam - winning a Slam is a different animal," said Federer. "Andy's shown for a year that he's knocking on the door. He's a good all-round player, has good tactics and he's full of confidence.

"But not many guys have been able to win Grand Slams over the last few years. Rafa [Nadal] and I have taken a lot of them. It doesn't happen that easily, but he has a chance like many other players."

Murray, who spent Tuesday practising in 37C heat in Melbourne, said he was comfortable with being tipped by many for the title.

"It doesn't make any difference whether people expect you to win or not. It doesn't change my mentality," said the Scot.

"You get used to being expected to win matches when you play at Wimbledon. The pressure that comes with that gets you used to these situations.

606: DEBATE
I am desperate for Federer to dominate this year like he has in past years and halt the Murray bandwagon

Mozzman88
"The older you get, the more matches you play, you realise what the bookies are saying doesn't make any difference once you get on court, whether they are saying good things or bad things. You just get on with your job."

And with five wins in seven ATP matches against Federer, the 21-year-old Briton admitted that the fear factor was no longer an issue against the Swiss.

"The more you play against him the less fearful you are, you're not scared to win the match," said Murray. "If you're young and you play against the top guys, once you get close to winning you get nervous.

"Now when I play him I don't get nervous and if I play my best tennis I can beat him."

As well as the likes of Federer, Nadal and Novak Djokovic, the searing Melbourne heat could prove one of the toughest obstacles to overcome for Murray.

"I've never minded heat too much but this temperature is a problem for everyone," he said.

"Your feet burn on court and it's tough to catch your breath, but if you play on the bigger courts you usually get a bit of shade from the stadium so it's not too bad.

"I practised at one o'clock today and it was pretty grisly. Four hours in that heat is unbelievably tough. That's why you have to put in the work in December.

"But my game's coming together nicely. Very few people reach their peak in whatever they are doing at 21. That could still be two years away, but physically I'm in the best shape I could be. And if I play like I have been I've got a chance."

I think murray will win a major this year.

He is physically in better shape as well as mentally, his allround game is solid. Plus he has inate belief in himself which is waht you needs to reach the top.

Having said that Nadal is awesome, I think one of two things will happen this season. Nadal will either win 3 majors or it will be one apiece for the top guys.

Back
Top Bottom