• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The 2009 Andy Murray - Praise and Abuse Thread

Raised in Scotland but moved to a training camp in Spain at 15 with an American accent.
Yeah go Great Britain!
The "raised in Scotland" bit should be disregarded right?
Just like Suso isn't Spanish any more.

Anyway, congrats to Andy. Didn't think he had it in him but I hoped he'd win it.

Delighted for Andy. He's been born in an era that contains 3 of the best players to ever play the game, and the only way he was ever going to win one of these, was to hone himself into someone with physical and mental strength on a par with them. He's done that now. That won't be his last Slam.

Fell asleep & woke up just before the end. Have to watch the end again today, but an incredible match.

Made up for Murray, always loved watching him play, & we'll happy he's proved the idiotic Wimbledon obsessed population wrong.

great match, thought he had fucked up after losing sets 3 and 4 but showed true grit and determination to win the last set. great match to watch, swung this way and that really enjoyed it.

did anyone else sky + it then cry this morning when the "end of recording" message popped up on the last game of the sodding match

why can't sky invent something on sky + that extends the recording when live sport over runs the scheduled time

why can't sky invent something on sky + that extends the recording when live sport over runs the scheduled time
When I set a football match to record on my Virgin Media Tivo box, it asks me if I want to extend the recording beyond the published end time, in case of extra time. However, I am not sure if the system could cope with a tennis match that runs to 5 hours.

When I set a football match to record on my Virgin Media Tivo box, it asks me if I want to extend the recording beyond the published end time, in case of extra time. However, I am not sure if the system could cope with a tennis match that runs to 5 hours.

I think you can set it on sky to do 30 mins past the scheduled time but lets face it there was a good chance the match would go to 5 sets so why not cater for it in the schedule. I got up at 6am this morning to watch it and was gutted.

Luckily its repeated today so I recorded that.

Fantastic game of tennis.
I love baseline players thats tennis at its finest for me. I hate the power and serve game.
I honestly thought Murray hadnt the mental strength to win when it counted but im happy to be proved wrong.

Maybe Leo is called Leopold and is from Russia.
Every English speaking person sounds American to our Russian friends.

Fair doos. Didn't see the match, but beating Djokovic is an achievement in itself, whether he builds on this or not, no-one will be able to take this away from him

Next time you see Andy in a Grand Slam final, take no notice when he starts feeling his legs. I have noticed that he always does this when things are going against him! :D

I saw the first 3 sets, and I think it is clear he's at a level now where he can beat these guys. He won't beat them every time, but I think he'll win his share. He'd be an excellent bet for the Australian Open.

Next time you see Andy in a Grand Slam final, take no notice when he starts feeling his legs. I have noticed that he always does this when things are going against him! :D

To be fair, Djok did precisely the same thing at the end of the second set, beginning of the 3rd and towards the end too.

My dm800 let's you specify an extended time. I choose til 6.30am! As such its all there.

I can't watch it til this evening, when I imagine it'll be repeated on at least one channel anyway!

Its part of his mental weakness, he looks for excuses & for so long he's had them, but now he's in top shape & think it's clicked.

He's a spoiled brat with zero personality.

His petulance and moaning is unbearable.
Sky has him blown out of all recognition to the point where it's impossible to actually enjoy a game of tennis when he's involved.
But look at the bare facts here.
He was lucky.
The extra day's rest saved him in the last set,the wind was always going to suit his defensive style of tennis and the fact that he didn't have to face Federer in the semis.
But hey he's a legend despite the fact that Novak is a week younger and won 4 more grand slams.
But he's British forever now anyway.
God save the queen,All soldiers should be paid footballers wages,Love Corgies,Drink tea,read the Daily mail etc etc.
The spoty should be great this year with a Somalian, an Aussie/Belgian and a Scot fighting for the title.

He's a spoiled brat with zero personality.

His petulance and moaning is unbearable.
Sky has him blown out of all recognition to the point where it's impossible to actually enjoy a game of tennis when he's involved.
But look at the bare facts here.
He was lucky.
The extra day's rest saved him in the last set,the wind was always going to suit his defensive style of tennis and the fact that he didn't have to face Federer in the semis.
But hey he's a legend despite the fact that Novak is a week younger and won 4 more grand slams.
But he's British forever now anyway.
God save the queen,All soldiers should be paid footballers wages,Love Corgies,Drink tea,read the Daily mail etc etc.
The spoty should be great this year with a Somalian, an Aussie/Belgian and a Scot fighting for the title.
*mouths the word*
Wow.

Im not a massive Murray fan but that post is so mental and biased its untrue.
Just as a kick off Murray has faced Federer 19 times won 10 and lost 9.
He has won three of their last 4 meetings.

I cant be arsed getting into a debate about it, but Murray is a very very good player.
Hes no Federer or Nadal for me but if his head is right hes as good as Djokavic and certainly as good as most players in the modern era.

I've always loved his style of play, he makes seemingly impossible shots on such a regular basis non tennis fans don't realise how difficult they are.

Only 3/4 other current players in the world make those shots regularly.

Personality wise, I doubt I'd be his mate if I knew him, but so many of the things he says are meant to be jokes but are completely misconstrued by people who hold him wearing that shirt against him.

He's Scottish, it was funny,I bet most scots laughed. You can be Scottish & play for Britain, & want England to lose. It seems in these days of pr trained sportsmen real opinions aren't allowed.

I've always loved his style of play, he makes seemingly impossible shots on such a regular basis non tennis fans don't realise how difficult they are.

Only 3/4 other current players in the world make those shots regularly.

Personality wise, I doubt I'd be his mate if I knew him, but so many of the things he says are meant to be jokes but are completely misconstrued by people who hold him wearing that shirt against him.

He's Scottish, it was funny,I bet most scots laughed. You can be Scottish & play for Britain, & want England to lose. It seems in these days of pr trained sportsmen real opinions aren't allowed.

He was about 19 and it was banter. But mentalists like Leo took it bad evidently.

And Leo is talking utter shite. Murray played over 5 hours more tennis in the tournament leading up to the final. Djok disposed of Ferrer in 3 sets the day before the final. There was little, if any, advantage to him.

Leo's just sick because I bet he's been telling all of his bored friends who pretend to listen that Murray is shite and will never win a slam.

He's never beaten Federer in a grand slam match so those stats are pie in the sky regarding important tennis matches.
In fact he's only ever taken one set off Federer in a grand slam match.
He has less grand slams than Gustavo Kurten,Lleyton Hewitt,Marat Safin,Sergi Brugerra and Kafenlikov.
Hardly legends of the game?
No doubt he's a very good defensive baseliner whom might win a few more but at the moment comparing him with the big 3 is laughable.

He was about 19 and it was banter. But mentalists like Leo took it bad evidently.

And Leo is talking utter shite. Murray played over 5 hours more tennis in the tournament leading up to the final. Djok disposed of Ferrer in 3 sets the day before the final. There was little, if any, advantage to him.

Leo's just sick because I bet he's been telling all of his bored friends who pretend to listen that Murray is shite and will never win a slam.
Did I touch a nerve within your anglo saxon pride?
Great way to barge into the argument making bullshite assumptions there at the end but hey you know best.

Shit.
Leo is Roger Rederer.

What a fucking pain.

I thought he was ok.

He's never beaten Federer in a grand slam match so those stats are pie in the sky regarding important tennis matches.
In fact he's only ever taken one set off Federer in a grand slam match.
He has less grand slams than Gustavo Kurten,Lleyton Hewitt,Marat Safin,Sergi Brugerra and Kafenlikov.
Hardly legends of the game?
No doubt he's a very good defensive baseliner whom might win a few more but at the moment comparing him with the big 3 is laughable.
Not many people have beaten Roger Federer in a grand slam final.
And No ONE is saying Murray is as good as federer or Nadal or Nastase or Becker or Sampras or fucking Edberg or whomever but the FACT is he has turned out to have a lot more about him than a lot of people though. Me certainly. I thought he was way out of his depth in this company. But to go through Wimbledon, the Olympics and the US open facing Djokovic three times and Federer twice and only losing ONE match and picking up two titles is fucking elite mate. And if you climbed down off your high horse for a second and admitted maybe (like me) you were wrong about him you might just accept that hes a very very good tennis player. Probably the 4th best of his era. But looking at his era, thats no shame at all.

Not many people have beaten Roger Federer in a grand slam final.
And No ONE is saying Murray is as good as federer or Nadal or Nastase or Becker or Sampras or fucking Edberg or whomever but the FACT is he has turned out to have a lot more about him than a lot of people though. Me certainly. I thought he was way out of his depth in this company. But to go through Wimbledon, the Olympics and the US open facing Djokovic three times and Federer twice and only losing ONE match and picking up two titles is fucking elite mate. And if you climbed down off your high horse for a second and admitted maybe (like me) you were wrong about him you might just accept that hes a very very good tennis player. Probably the 4th best of his era. But looking at his era, thats no shame at all.
He didn't play Djokovic at Wimbledon at all.
He beat journeymen in Ferrer and Tsonga in the qf and semis.
Not once in any of my posts have I said that Murray isn't a good player but my original point will still stand that he shouldn't be considered great until he reaches 5.
The commentary of the game last night was a fucking biased joke and made Murray out to be some sort of tennis god.
Maybe he can become that in the next 3 years but he has a long long way to go

Did I touch a nerve within your anglo saxon pride?
Great way to barge into the argument making bullshite assumptions there at the end but hey you know best.

Anglo-Saxon? I'm from Northern Ireland you stupid prick.

Back
Top Bottom