• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The 6 Nations

Brilliant game of rugby.

France really pulled it out and I thought they deserved to hold on at the end. That turnover they forced in the 77th minute was absolutely huge for them. Some of the offloading the French managed to do was breathtaking, but there was a bit of steel about them tonight as well. They were a lot more aggressive tonight than they were against us, particularly in defence. They really rattled the Welsh.

Harry Ordinary put in another MOTM performance tonight, he is the complete number eight. Excellent in tight, ridiculously comfortable in the loose, he's a great ball carrier and he really showed up Powell tonight. Powell's carrying was good, but I have to say Bryndaloo's summary of him was spot on. I think he'd be a great league player.

Lee Byrne's try was superb, he took a beautiful line and hit the ball full on. It didn't look like a try was on (not with one flat pass anyway) so for him to finish the way he did was breathtaking. He was poor under the high ball tonight though.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if 3 teams ended up with four wins now.

If we beat England and Scotland, I'll be in Cardiff for a grand slam decider.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=31054.msg813259#msg813259 date=1235775300]
Brilliant game of rugby.

France really pulled it out and I thought they deserved to hold on at the end. That turnover they forced in the 77th minute was absolutely huge for them. Some of the offloading the French managed to do was breathtaking, but there was a bit of steel about them tonight as well. They were a lot more aggressive tonight than they were against us, particularly in defence. They really rattled the Welsh.

Harry Ordinary put in another MOTM performance tonight, he is the complete number eight. Excellent in tight, ridiculously comfortable in the loose, he's a great ball carrier and he really showed up Powell tonight. Powell's carrying was good, but I have to say Bryndaloo's summary of him was spot on. I think he'd be a great league player.

Lee Byrne's try was superb, he took a beautiful line and hit the ball full on. It didn't look like a try was on (not with one flat pass anyway) so for him to finish the way he did was breathtaking. He was poor under the high ball tonight though.

[/quote]

Like i said earlier France fully deserved the win, but if we hadn't made so many unforced errors maybe we'd have had a better chance. 6 basic catches from deep kicks were put to ground is one example of this, and it just seemed that we were under constant pressure for long periods partly due to these types of errors.

Not Powells greatest game tonight, but you still vastly underate him Rosco IMO. MOTM performances against the worlds best along with the same in Europe + So many leading figures in the game are suggesting that he will be a lion as well, yet you seem to think that his only ability is to catch and run???

Has your opinion of Byrne changed at all?

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=31054.msg813267#msg813267 date=1235775861]
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if 3 teams ended up with four wins now.

If we beat England and Scotland, I'll be in Cardiff for a grand slam decider.
[/quote]
If England can put up a performance like they did against Wales last week, that will be an interesting game.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=31054.msg813272#msg813272 date=1235776699]
Brilliant game of rugby.

[/quote]

Like i said earlier France fully deserved the win, but if we hadn't made so many unforced errors maybe we'd have had a better chance. 6 basic catches from deep kicks were put to ground is one example of this, and it just seemed that we were under constant pressure for long periods partly due to these types of errors.

Not Powells greatest game tonight, but you still vastly underate him Rosco IMO. MOTM performances against the worlds best along with the same in Europe + So many leading figures in the game are suggesting that he will be a lion as well, yet you seem to think that his only ability is to catch and run???

[/quote]

Yeah, the thing with Byrne is he hasn't got outstanding pace or strength. He has looked like a solid fullback to me thus far. That line he took tonight for the try suggests there's more to him than just that, but at the same time I didn't think he was particularly solid defensively tonight. (I'd still take Kearney over him)

I've only seen Powell three times Rafa, so there may be more to him but for me he was the third best number eight on that pitch tonight. He lacks too much in tight and in defence to be a top class back rower, no matter how good a ball carrier he is. I'll be amazed if he starts for the Lions, he's got impact player written all over him.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=31054.msg813276#msg813276 date=1235777210]
Brilliant game of rugby.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, the thing with Byrne is he hasn't got outstanding pace or strength. He has looked like a solid fullback to me thus far. That line he took tonight for the try suggests there's more to him than just that, but at the same time I didn't think he was particularly solid tonight.

I've only seen Powell three times Rafa, so there may be more to him but for me he was the third best number eight on that pitch tonight. He lacks too much in tight and in defence to be a top class back rower, no matter how good a ball carrier he is. I'll be amazed if he starts for the Lions, he's got impact player written all over him.
[/quote]

Yeah Byrne was unusually dodgy under the high ball tonight on occasions, but if fit he's nailed on for the lions 15 jersey IMO.

If you can (or have the inclination) watch a bit more of Powell. He's certainly not in M Williams class in regards to work rate, but what he lacks in that department he more than makes up for in other areas such as: Ball carrying, tackling, Line out and linking play. In the games against the All Blacks, South Africa and the Aussies recently he was truly outstanding and if you can perform to such a high level against those boys, then i think its safe to say that he has what it takes to be a success.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=31054.msg813282#msg813282 date=1235778289]
Brilliant game of rugby.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, the thing with Byrne is he hasn't got outstanding pace or strength. He has looked like a solid fullback to me thus far. That line he took tonight for the try suggests there's more to him than just that, but at the same time I didn't think he was particularly solid tonight.

[/quote]

Yeah Byrne was unusually dodgy under the high ball tonight on occasions, but if fit he's nailed on for the lions 15 jersey IMO.

If you can (or have the inclination) watch a bit more of Powell. He's certainly not in M Williams class in regards to work rate, but what he lacks in that department he more than makes up for in other areas such as: Ball carrying, tackling, Line out and linking play. In the games against the All Blacks, South Africa and the Aussies recently he was truly outstanding and if you can perform to such a high level against those boys, then i think its safe to say that he has what it takes to be a success.

[/quote]

I rate Powell, but I wonder whether Heaslip might already be ordering his Lions number 8 jersey. So far he's been the best number 8 in the tournament by a distance.

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=31054.msg813320#msg813320 date=1235781017]
[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=31054.msg813282#msg813282 date=1235778289]
Brilliant game of rugby.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I rate Powell, but I wonder whether Heaslip might already be ordering his Lions number 8 jersey. So far he's been the best number 8 in the tournament by a distance.
[/quote]

I think i posted 2 weeks ago that IMO it was between these 2 for the 8 jersey Doc. They are both dynamic 8's and it should be a good contest (I'm looking forward to seeing how they match up come the last game of the tournament).

Ireland-England is 3-3 at HT. We really are playing anti-rugby here - incredibly boring to watch, and I find it hard to believe that we can actually win like this.

Well, we lost - and deservedly so. Ireland were poor, but at least showed some ambition. England didn't start attacking till the last fucking minute. Depressingly reminiscent of a certain football team I love.

Ireland were deffo there for the taking today.

England were gash though.

haha it was dreadful. Mainly because England defended so bloody well, but also because we lacked any real incisiveness until Stringer came on. He's just a little bit quicker than O'Leary at getting the ball away from the breakdown and it's no coincidence that we looked a little more fluid when he came on.

I have to say O'Driscoll was great today, I've been critical of him for a while now but his leadership abilities came to the fore today. He took a battering but was still the one that wanted the ball when we got close to the English line and he fully deserved his try. He was brave to turn down the easy three points (although they weren't that easy the way ROG was kicking), and go for the lineout to wear down England and force them into giving away penalties which led to Vickery going in the bin. We scored directly after it.

There aren't many who can hold their head up and say they did well for us today, yet we pulled out a result so I've got to be happy about it.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=31054.msg814248#msg814248 date=1235851537]
I actually fell asleep watching that game.
[/quote]

Wrong Forum mate.

[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=31054.msg814288#msg814288 date=1235854569]
[/quote]

Wrong Forum mate.
[/quote]

Ha.

I know it dents my "super fan" image, but i can't be arsed to watch our games on the streams (it does my head in), Was it as bad as i suspect?

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=31054.msg814281#msg814281 date=1235853452]
haha it was dreadful. Mainly because England defended so bloody well, but also because we lacked any real incisiveness until Stringer came on. He's just a little bit quicker than O'Leary at getting the ball away from the breakdown and it's no coincidence that we looked a little more fluid when he came on.

I have to say O'Driscoll was great today, I've been critical of him for a while now but his leadership abilities came to the fore today. He took a battering but was still the one that wanted the ball when we got close to the English line and he fully deserved his try. He was brave to turn down the easy three points (although they weren't that easy the way ROG was kicking), and go for the lineout to wear down England and force them into giving away penalties which led to Vickery going in the bin. We scored directly after it.

There aren't many who can hold their head up and say they did well for us today, yet we pulled out a result so I've got to be happy about it.
[/quote]

Ferris played well i thought and O'Connell was his normal dependable self, but like you said BOD was miles ahead of everyone on the pitch today. How he managed to get up after Fluty (sp) hit him I'll never know.

Looks like your boys will be coming to Cardiff playing for the GS then, fancy your chances?

If we keep everyone fit and tinker a little bit with the team (drop O'Leary , possibly Wallace) then I think we'll have a good chance. We'll need ROG to kick his goals though

BOD took a few big hits today, I was surprised to see him stay on after the second big hit. It really makes you look at footballers as the big girls they are when you see BOD doing that doesn't it ?

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=31054.msg814303#msg814303 date=1235855861]
If we keep everyone fit and tinker a little bit with the team (drop O'Leary , possibly Wallace) then I think we'll have a good chance. We'll need ROG to kick his goals though

BOD took a few big hits today, I was surprised to see him stay on after the second big hit. It really makes you look at footballers as the big girls they are when you see BOD doing that doesn't it ?
[/quote]

It should be a great game regardless hopefully. We should still be in with a good chance of winning the title which will add a little extra spice to the occasion.

A lot of it is gamesmanship in football, but yeah it does piss me off when you almost see some of them crying when they get a tap. It still amazes though when you see some of the punishment that rugby players take and they simply get up and carry on time after time.

On a side note did you see that the new bruiser for France in the centre (all 18stone of him) is related to William Gallas?

Yeah he bursted Roberts at one stage didn't he ? I didn't realise he was 18 stone, but i did think he looked strong enough to play in the back row. I don't remember much of him going forward, was he any use ?

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=31054.msg814316#msg814316 date=1235856549]
Yeah he bursted Roberts at one stage didn't he ? I didn't realise he was 18 stone, but i did think he looked strong enough to play in the back row. I don't remember much of him going forward, was he any use ?
[/quote]

He had his moments (smashing Roberts being one of them). It was said that he was the 3rd heaviest French player in that team yesterday, and i think he's still only 20.

[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=31054.msg814288#msg814288 date=1235854569]
[/quote]

Wrong Forum mate.
[/quote]
Yeah, I actually fell asleep just before the 30 minute mark in our (LFC) game and wwas woken at about 65 mins. Mind numbingly crap.

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=31054.msg815045#msg815045 date=1235929200]
I think Wales will destroy the Oirish.

I also have a (perverse) feeling that England will beat France.

[/quote]
So it will come down to points difference then Bunny?

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=31054.msg815045#msg815045 date=1235929200]
I think Wales will destroy the Oirish.

I also have a (perverse) feeling that England will beat France.

[/quote]

Wales will be favourites but the Irish are never better than when the bookies reckon they're up against it.  England have it in them to beat the French, but Johnno's going to have to read them the riot act over their discipline - and find a new captain, which he won't do as Borthwick's his personal choice - for me to pick them.

Rumours circulating of a rather interesting Wales team to be announced for the Italy game:

Byrne
Halfpenny
Roberts
Henson
Williams
Hook
Peel

Jenkins
Rees
A Jones
Charteris
AWJ (capt.)
D Jones
Powell
J Thomas

Unsubstantiated at the mo, but very interesting to say the least...

[quote author=bryndaloo link=topic=31054.msg818139#msg818139 date=1236250352]
Rumours circulating of a rather interesting Wales team to be announced for the Italy game:

Byrne
Halfpenny
Roberts
Henson
Williams
Hook
Peel

Jenkins
Rees
A Jones
Charteris
AWJ (capt.)
D Jones
Powell
J Thomas

[/quote]

Cheers mate.

Gatland said that he'd make some changes for this game.

Do you rate Charteris?

Good choice of skipper if this is the case.

Amended in line with corrected (?!) information...

[quote author=bryndaloo link=topic=31054.msg818139#msg818139 date=1236250352]

Byrne
M Jones
Roberts
Henson
Williams
Hook
Peel

Yapp
Rees
A Jones
Charteris
AWJ (capt.)
D Jones
Powell
J Thomas

[/quote]

Wales:
Lee Byrne
Mark Jones
Jamie Roberts
Gavin Henson
Shane Williams
James Hook
Dwayne Peel
John Yapp
Huw Bennett
Rhys Thomas
Luke Charteris
Alun Wyn Jones (capt)
Jonathan Thomas
Dafydd Jones
Andy Powell

Replacements: Matthew Rees, Gethin Jenkins, Bradley Davies, Ryan Jones, Mike Phillips, Stephen Jones, Tom Shanklin.

I didn't think they'd make so many changes. I expected Peel, Hook and Henson to play but I wouldn't have thought they'd shake up the pack so much.

Back
Top Bottom