• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The 6 Nations

Shite. There's my Fantasy Rugby team fucked. Is he out of the starting lineup, or out altogether?

[quote author=bryndaloo link=topic=31054.msg804064#msg804064 date=1234535976]
Powell fit. Shane Williams out.

Bugger.
[/quote]

At least one of them was passed fit i guess + Jones isn't a bad replacement to have come in.

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=31054.msg804087#msg804087 date=1234540556]
Shite. There's my Fantasy Rugby team fucked. Is he out of the starting lineup, or out altogether?
[/quote]

Out altogether I'm afraid.
Mark 'Hands Like Feet' Jones is adequate at best unfortunately.

Whereas England will be strengthened, especially in defence ( which I accept they may need to be), with the addition of Worsley and Tindall. But overall Martin Johnson's selectorial abilities are beginning to worry me TBH.  He's backed the wrong skipper for a start.  Wouldn't want to tell him personally, mind. ;D

It looks like England are in damage limitation mode for this one.

Defend, kick for position, then try to work some set piece moves will probably be the order of the day.

Undoubtedly, and not unreasonably in current circumstances. If we bring the right players on that will change over time, but they and we aren't ready yet.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=31054.msg804164#msg804164 date=1234557456]

Defend, kick for position, then try to work some set piece moves will probably be the order of the day.
[/quote]
It was ever thus.

[/quote]

Have they ever played any different to that?

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=31054.msg804176#msg804176 date=1234559349]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They did try to play a bit in the Autumn internationals, but by and large that has been their gameplan for as long as I've been watching rugby.

Tomorrow is going to a massive clash of styles, it'll be interesting to watch. If Wales' click they'll win by a good margin, but if England's defence holds out and they get a bit of luck they could be right in it at the end.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=31054.msg804178#msg804178 date=1234559675]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They did try to play a bit in the Autumn internationals, but by and large that has been their gameplan for as long as I've been watching rugby.

Tomorrow is going to a massive clash of styles, it'll be interesting to watch. If Wales' click they'll win by a good margin, but if England's defence holds out and they get a bit of luck they could be right in it at the end.
[/quote]

I've gone from hugely confident through to having quite a few nagging doubts about the game, in the space of a few days. Every article I've read or every interview given on the match has written England off, and i can't help but think they might just turn in one of those typical english performances (no i don't mean mind numbingly boring).

If we can come out and front up early doors and keep our discipline we should have to much for them. Please please please let this be the case.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=31054.msg804185#msg804185 date=1234562457]
[quote author=Rosco link=topic=31054.msg804178#msg804178 date=1234559675]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've gone from hugely confident through to having quite a few nagging doubts about the game, in the space of a few days. Every article I've read or every interview given on the match has written England off, and i can't help but think they might just turn in one of those typical english performances (no i don't mean mind numbingly boring).

If we can come out and front up early doors and keep our discipline we should have to much for them. Please please please let this be the case.
[/quote]

Williams is a big loss for you this weekend. Given how much England are likely to kick he probably would have had a great time running in open field situations.

If England do kick as much as expected then you'll have the Lions share of possession and to be honest barring complete and utter disaster you've got the firepower to get past the English defence. In the pack,Ryan Jones and Powell are both very effective ball carriers, AW Jones isn't bad either. It looks like the England back row was picked to counter the ball carrying threat in the pack, but interestingly I think it gives Wales a better chance of turning over ruck ball. And turnover ball is often the best ball to attack with.

In the backline I'm looking forward to seeing Roberts play again, he was very impressive against the Scots and seems to benefit from Jones' ability to play fairly flat at 10.

If he sounds French, he is French in my book.

Incidentally his brother was a clubmate of mine for a while.

Wales will murder England. I think 'damage limitation' is right, but not in the sense you seem to mean. We really will be looking just to keep the scoreline respectable in this match, rather than genuinely trying to win it.

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=31054.msg804438#msg804438 date=1234616980]
Wales will murder England. I think 'damage limitation' is right, but not in the sense you seem to mean. We really will be looking just to keep the scoreline respectable in this match, rather than genuinely trying to win it.
[/quote]

People said that about the World Cup match against Australia too.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=31054.msg804439#msg804439 date=1234617295]
[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=31054.msg804438#msg804438 date=1234616980]
[/quote]

People said that about the World Cup match against Australia too.
[/quote]
Bunny's just saying that to put us off Ross. Have no doubt, England will be well up for it. Like Everton coming to Anfield. Underdogs maybe, but they say every dog has it's day.

Yes- if they turn the match into a game of slow ball, ponderous forward play, and tactical kicking then who knows?

More than anything, the lineout is crucial for England. If they hold their own and pressure the Welsh lineout then they have a slim chance of getting something.

IMO the forecasts before our World Cup match against Oz were remarkably short-sighted.  I don't think I've ever been more confident of a sporting outcome than I was that we'd win that game.  It was always obvious we were going to dismantle them in the front row, so where were they ever going to get enough ball from?  

I actually think this Wales team is a better all-round outfit than that Wallabies side, though losing Shane Williams (thank you God) will not help them.  They're deserved favourites and I expect them to win, though I disagree with Bunny to the extent that I don't believe it'll be the kind of walkover he seems to anticipate.

Wales need to get a few points on the board early. If they do that they'll force England to take a few more risks and then cut loose.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=31054.msg804452#msg804452 date=1234619433]
IMO the forecasts before our World Cup match against Oz were remarkably short-sighted. I don't think I've ever been more confident of a sporting outcome than I was that we'd win that game. It was always obvious we were going to dismantle them in the front row, so where were they ever going to get enough ball from?

I actually think this Wales team is a better all-round outfit than that Wallabies side, though losing Shane Williams (thank you God) will not help them. They're deserved favourites and I expect them to win, though I disagree with Bunny to the extent that I don't believe it'll be the kind of walkover he seems to anticipate.
[/quote]

[size=6pt]I'm just trying to jinx the Welsh, JJ.[/size]

What's the record score for a Wales-England match? Wales will beat it today.

Halftime - France 6 - 3 Scotland

Scotland have improved since last week, France haven't

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=31054.msg804477#msg804477 date=1234622201]
[size=6pt]I'm just trying to jinx the Welsh, JJ.[/size]

[/quote]
I know.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=31054.msg804502#msg804502 date=1234626780]
Halftime - France 6 - 3 Scotland

Scotland have improved since last week, France haven't
[/quote]

This is possibly the most boring match I've ever seen in my life. Don't think I'm going to bother watching the second half.

I feel dirty for doing it but it has to be said.............................
Come on England!!!

Back
Top Bottom