• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Darwin evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is you don't actually need to be a great finisher to score a decent number of goal. Sterling is an atrocious finisher, always has been, and yet he scores a pretty decent number of goals. Heskey wasn't a great finisher either. What players who are average finishers need is lots of chances, because they will inevitably miss quite a few. On all the evidence so far he will get a fair number of chances so I don't doubt he will score goals. If you are going to play up front and you aren't an elite level finisher you will need some other attributes to compensate. I don't know what that is with Nunez but he and Klopp need to figure it out quickly.

Fwiw, his stats from last season showed that he overperformed his expected goal return. He's an elite finisher when given chances. That will hopefully come to show for us as well when he has settled in.

Not exactly, plenty of people were concerned about his technical ability before he signed. The fact that he's continued to look sub par in terms of first touch and technique is in no way a knee jerk reaction based on yesterday. It's a consistently observable issue he's got.

I'm with Sean on this. The prevailing view on here, the one I saw anyway, was "Sign sign sign" and Nunez' technique didn't look under par in the Community Shield game. The odd rough edge has been apparent in the two league games so far this season but that's a tiny sample, besides which he's still young and still fitting in. His scoring record (in an admittedly weaker league, but the same one Luis Diaz came from) is excellent and, in answer to your implied question above, he brings height and pace to the party as well. Is he the finished article? No - few players are at 22 years old, but I'm very glad we and not our competitors have got him.

Last edited:
Rightly or wrongly, 65M strikers don't really get bedding in periods... he needed to hit the ground running. We needed him to hit the ground running.

Hmm, you'd think 2 goals and 1 assist in 127 minutes of football would be quite a good start though.
The red card fucks up a lot for both him and us in terms of adapting to the team, and getting results.

I'm hopeful that most of the lads being hysterical on here are taking the piss.
He's played two games, and has already got a goal and an assist. And a red card.
He's young and he'll learn. He's got the best manager to help him.

I've noticed that our default when he's on is to ping crosses in, is he that dominant with head? Most of the goals I saw from his Benfica compilations were scored with his feet. Seems a bit of a lazy approach to a new striker, and a lot of attacking opportunities wasted by just whipping the ball into the box.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/08/james-milner-urges-liverpool-to-rally-around-darwin-nunez/

JAmes Milner has noted Darwin Nunez‘s red card as a learning experience after Liverpool drew 1-1 with Crystal Palace, urging his team-mates to “get round him.”
Milner and Nunez both came into the side for the visit of Palace on Monday night, but after 57 minutes the striker walked having headbutted Joachim Andersen.

it was a moment of stupidity from Nunez, who Jurgen Klopp claims was “provoked” but failed to produce “the reaction you want to see,” and leaves Liverpool desperately short of options up front.
For the trip to Man United on August 22, there is a chance the Reds are without Roberto Firmino and Diogo Jota along with Nunez, which hammers home the blow of an avoidable suspension.
But speaking to Sky Sports after the game, Milner backed his new team-mate and insisted it is “down to us” to support him.
“I didn’t see the incident. Obviously, he’s going to be disappointed with that,” the vice-captain said.
“It’s just down to us to get round him and rally. I’m sure he’ll learn from it.
“I think the reaction was the most important thing. The team reacted very, very well and the ground reacted very well, as they always do.
“They got right behind us and we could have nicked a winner. It wasn’t to be but we move on.”

That was certainly the case as Luis Diaz picked up responsibility and struck a stunning equaliser just minutes after Nunez left the field, with Liverpool’s “team spirit” shining through.
“That’s what good teams do. You get together in disappointments and you stick together,” Milner continued.
“We’ve got a great team spirit at the club, and you don’t have to say too much about the fans here.
“They’re obviously incredible and they always get behind us, especially when things are tough. They did that and we rallied.
“It was disappointing not to get the winner, but I think the reaction was incredible from the boys, 10 men and kept pushing.

“Like I said, it’s not the ideal start [with two draws from two games], but you see the readiness for the season.
“It’s obviously a long, long season. It’s not the start we would want, but you see the fight there.
“We’ve had a week of tough things that have gone on and preparations haven’t been ideal.
“So I think it’s disappointing, but you see the fighting spirit was there and no one can deny that we fought until the end.”

Its funny how a teams start to the season can influence the perspective of a new player.

City have won 2 league games and lost the Community shield and Haaland has score 2 goals and 1 assist in 242 mins.
He had 2 completed passes and 8 touches of the ball against Bournemouth in 75 mins. But thats fine. Its a bedding in period. He'll be immense for them.

We have drawn 2 games and won the Community shield. Nunez has scored 2 goals and 1 assist in 127 mins.
But thats not fine. He cant be bedded in and its already a signing we should be worried about.

So about the same stats although Nunez have played about half the minutes.

He’s scored and assist so far may as well be blah blah fucking blah. His assist wasn’t meant and was a fluke. His Fulham goal was a weird series of deflections back onto himself. The pen he got against City was because the header was going wide. His goal against city looked awkward as fuck.

He doesn’t look like he’s in control of his body or emotions.

I’m putting him lower than Thiago on my favourite players list.

I've noticed that our default when he's on is to ping crosses in, is he that dominant with head? Most of the goals I saw from his Benfica compilations were scored with his feet. Seems a bit of a lazy approach to a new striker, and a lot of attacking opportunities wasted by just whipping the ball into the box.
Especially when they either didn't reach him (TAA) or went 5m above him (Robbo).

How lucky was he the season before? Luck runs out. Players have these purple patches and never repeat them again. I’ve not seen anything to suggest he’s going to be quality.

There's a long way to go yet, but it's clear at the moment he's not as technically on point as our players generally are. He made a great pass to Salah last night, but the rest of the time was fairly awkward and lacking in control generally. His positioning is excellent, but we generally don't play with goal hangers. His touch and anticipation was awful.

It's funny really that the same people who predicted that an out and out striker would disrupt City, can't (or refuse to) see the same issue with us and Nunez. Haaland is technically gifted and has so far fit them effortlessly, Nunez looks like a bit of a donkey by comparison. Let's hope it's rustiness and being over eager. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit concerned though.

haaland isn´t very technical, but one thing that really sets him apart is how clinical he is
he is so decisive in front of goal, apart from his excellent movement too ofc

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit concerned though.

He looked ridiculously good against us last season but after we were linked / bought him out came out all the compilations and analysis videos to convince us that elements of his game (notably link up play) are not particularly great and that he's by no means the finished article.

So I guess we can't say we weren't warned.

Unfortunately, he's come into a team that expects / needs the finished article. And to make matters worse, he's arrived at the same time as Haaland, who is a generational talent in a better team.

I'm fine with giving him time. The circumstances and price tag are not his fault.

The problem is that we've neglected our succession planning. But again, we all knew that already.

I did give him man of the match against Fulham because he had an impact and fucked shit up. It was slim pickings from that game.

But you need and want more for £65 million.

This is what I mean by he played into the trap. Anderson was looking for it all night. He finally got the reaction. But that fall.. what an dick.

There's a long way to go yet, but it's clear at the moment he's not as technically on point as our players generally are. He made a great pass to Salah last night, but the rest of the time was fairly awkward and lacking in control generally. His positioning is excellent, but we generally don't play with goal hangers. His touch and anticipation was awful.

It's funny really that the same people who predicted that an out and out striker would disrupt City, can't (or refuse to) see the same issue with us and Nunez. Haaland is technically gifted and has so far fit them effortlessly, Nunez looks like a bit of a donkey by comparison. Let's hope it's rustiness and being over eager. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit concerned though.

This was my point btw. Haaland isnt technically gifted nor has he fit them effortlessly so far. He made two passes at home to Bournemouth and touched the ball 8 times in 75 mins. They dont know how to play him or play with him yet.
But seeing as they've won both games nobody will be worried or talk about it.

We've drawn two games and now the end is near already for Nunez.

Klopp said that we have to learn to play with him and he has to adapt to playing for Liverpool.
We seem to have forgotten that it might take more than 14 days of league football.

If Darwin has a 3 match ban, then his next game will be Everton at Goodison - and you can be sure he’ll get sone special treatment from that lot.

Mind you, it’s as good an opportunity to get back on our good side as he’ll get.

Am I alone in thinking it wasn't a red card. But Anderson's theatrics made it so. It wasn't even a deliberate head butt.

As for Nunez, he talks too emotionally. Needs to be officially made of steel and get those goals in. Don't be exposing your emotional vulnerability so easily.

I'm getting stick (not on here or TAN) for explaining why people would decide to post these threats and abuse....I.e people that have societal problems maybe with losing a lot of money betting, severe depression etc...understanding what drives people to this....whilst also saying it's inhumane and should be dealth with in same way as racism like we saw at the Euro's.

& I'm being labelled as "justifying" people sending death threats.

Like what?

His meltdown? Fucking hell the meltdown on here is worse than his (fully deserved and stupid) red card ! Ridiculous. Anyone who saw him in the two games against us, or even just the compilation of his goals last season, knows what he is capable of. Most of the forum was drooling.

He's done well so far as an inexperienced player under a lot of pressure, we've seen some high quality play as well as the snatching at opportunities. He's learning and yesterday will have been a huge learning experience for him, he has clearly been trying to impress, especially on his home debut where the pressure told and he just lost it.

So often we read on here ... "what Klopp could do with this or that player given time" ... and yet, after what isn't a slow start by any means - in fact there have been very promising signs in a change of direction for how we play - half the forum is angst ridden, has given up in him, and is showing greater loss of control than Nunez !

We have a bunch of old Gen-Zs at SCM, for sure.

Am I alone in thinking it wasn't a red card. But Anderson's theatrics made it so. It wasn't even a deliberate head butt.

As for Nunez, he talks too emotionally. Needs to be officially made of steel and get those goals in. Don't be exposing your emotional vulnerability so easily.
No, @Buddha also agrees with you.

Both in the wrong but not everyone in life will agree on any given thing....some will say the earth is round, others will say it's flat....some will say Liverpool are bigger than Utd, others will say Utd are bigger than Liverpool, some will say I'm the sexiest man alive, others will say I'm the 2nd sexiest man alive (both of which I'm ok with btw)

Is this how you normally go up to someone to have a word?

Nunez.jpg

w7cc1rBT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom