• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Darwin evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair point, but in the end we have to let Darwin be Darwin and take things at his own pace. He's also a good bit younger than they were when they arrived.

He is a very likable guy but that statement also makes me a wee bit nervous. Some of the best ones - Torres, Suarez - strutted onto the Anfield pitch on day one like they owned it.
So was I until he played against City and contributed to two goals. He was obviously reading about and watching the mocking clips about his performances against the skanks and Salzburg.
Now, I’m not nervous anymore.

He is a very likable guy but that statement also makes me a wee bit nervous. Some of the best ones - Torres, Suarez - strutted onto the Anfield pitch on day one like they owned it.

Yeah, but we were pure shit.

It's like the "Gerrard wasn't a good Captain" talk. I mean, sure, maybe he wasn't, I think the whole captain thing is a bit of an irrelevancy, and I think Klopp agrees, but of course it was harder for Gerrard to appear lead a team that was almost all well beneath him, than it is for Henderson to appear to lead a bunch of winners.

Torres came into a team that had previously fielded Sinama-Pongolle, Crouch, and Fowler, no? Nunez comes into a team at the same time that one of our best forwards of all time left. The expectations are so, so different.

Last edited:
He seems like he's just admitted he's the sensitive sort, which means he's now declared himself wide open to the mind games of defenders everywhere. Just keep the trap shut and play the game. Thanks - Kind Regards, Vlad

It's like the "Gerrard wasn't a good Captain" talk. I mean, sure, maybe he wasn't, I think the whole captain thing is a bit of an irrelevancy, and I think Klopp agrees, but of course it was harder for Gerrard to appear lead a team that was almost all well beneath him, than it is for Henderson to appear to lead a bunch of winners.

Torres came into a team that had previously fielded Sinama-Pongolle, Crouch, and Fowler, no? Nunez comes into a team at the same time that one of our best forwards of all time left. The expectations are so, so different.

Pure shit is a bit of an exaggeration for the state of the team when Torres came in. We had just reached two CL finals in three years. We paid big money for him. There was this air of talented but not quite fulfilled his potential with him. Then he started against Chelsea, made Ben Haim look like a Championship defender and told John Terry to stop yapping with his hands in his first twenty minutes of Anfield debut. You could feel the adrenaline shot he gave the entire LFC fanbase within the first 30 minutes of his Anfield debut.

We could win the quad this season and if we sign a 23 year old Suarez next summer, I bet first game he starts complaining at Salah and Nunez if the pass is not to his liking.

Nunez seems to be wired a bit differently. More of the humble variety. I am not saying thats necessarily a bad thing. Having taught thousands of students, some talented kids are confident, ready to rub their quality in your face given the chance; some are quite, shy types and may require hand holding and prodding. I prefer the strikers to be of the cocky, minimal self doubt variety but not saying being in the other category is a bad thing.

That's a great point.

Pure shit is a bit of an exaggeration for the state of the team when Torres came in. We had just reached two CL finals in three years. We paid big money for him. There was this air of talented but not quite fulfilled his potential with him. Then he started against Chelsea, made Ben Haim look like a Championship defender and told John Terry to stop yapping with his hands in his first twenty minutes of Anfield debut. You could feel the adrenaline shot he gave the entire LFC fanbase within the first 30 minutes of his Anfield debut.

We could win the quad this season and if we sign a 23 year old Suarez next summer, I bet first game he starts complaining at Salah and Nunez if the pass is not to his liking.

Nunez seems to be wired a bit differently. More of the humble variety. I am not saying thats necessarily a bad thing. Having taught thousands of students, some talented kids are confident, ready to rub their quality in your face given the chance; some are quite, shy types and may require hand holding and prodding. I prefer the strikers to be of the cocky, minimal self doubt variety but not saying being in the other category is a bad thing.

I meant mostly up front. Who was our best forward? Kuyt? My memory is dim. Both those forwards had zero competition and were one of the best players on teams bereft of attacking talent.

I agree that both of those talents were far far more developed than Nunez is now. We're buying Nunez for his ceiling. He's definitely not worth his price tag just on his current ability. But what sort of attitude do you want of someone who you are hoping to shape?

He'll get a massive fucking ego if he hits a run of form, like they all do.

Torres and Suarez had loads more experience when they were 23/24 aswell though. Torres had played 6 years in La Liga and 35 caps for Spain including the Euros and WC.
Suarez had 5 seasons in Holland before he joined and loads of international games including a WC.

Both were signed as star players with another pedigree.

Last edited:
Torres and Suarez had loads more experience when they were 23/24 aswell though. Torres had played 6 years in La Liga and 35 caps for Spain including the Euros and WC.
Suarez had 5 seasons in Holland before he joined.

It’s still amazing how we managed to get Suarez so cheap.

7ae9371265fee19ac06578c91d852d22.jpg
Sooie.. Sooie... Here piggy, fish pig

Suarez had 5 seasons in Holland before he joined and loads of international games including a WC.

Yes, and Torres had been carrying Athletico for years, and had been under huge pressure as their star player and home boy talisman. Kind of like Stevie G for us. I think moving to Liverpool was actually a release of pressure rather than adding to it.

Darwin, no doubt, is arriving with a ramping up of pressure, but he's clearly in the most supportive environment one could imagine. He'll be fine.

Didn't see the second half but another game changing performance and another goal.

Thought there would be more excitement about Darwin...

There might well have been if we'd won, but the result put paid to that. Bit difficult to get excited when we've piddled two points away.

He's not really done anything to warrant this.
Except for score & assist goals in the 3 matches he's had any real game time in (a 'serious' friendly and two competitive matches, as undoubtedly the game vs City was).

I am absolutely in the 'let's not get ahead of ourselves' boat but his influence and affect can not be denied. As I've pointed out numerous times he's a player that gets into the 6 yd box and scores a lot of goals there, something we've not had a for a long time.
Ally that with his pace and strength and, despite his relative lack of technical skills, he's not just a hard working donkey. I'm excited to see where that can take us this season - he saved us a point at Fulham for starters and undoubtedly could be a tie-breaker when up against the low block (or any other block).

I'm a skeptical but I've been reasonably impressed with him so far. He did well after coming on v Fulham but he messed up a couple of decent chances too. He's going to be a handful for opposing defenders, that much is clear but I think anybody expecting Suarez mk2 is going to be disappointed.

39 mins in the league. 1 goal and 1 assist and had about 4 shots and just added another dimension.
He’s gonna be some player.

He creates so much space for us. Just the exact opposite of Bobby who keeps dropping into the most congested areas of the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom