• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Donkey

You had it coming. Carry on with the cheap jibes and you might be lucky enough to see more.

Helmet.
Oh no. One of the sites special people has taken offence to one of my posts. How terrifying.

I can't bear to be called another 80s insult.

Last edited:
I get that, but there's a reason he's had more chances than anyone else in the league this season. He's excellent at putting himself in the position to score, albeit he struggles when he gets there. We might swap him for someone who is more clinical, but who doesn't take up the same dangerous positions with such frequency. So we could end up with the same number of goals but fewer shots on goal. It feels to me that if Darwin were to find his shooting boots, we could have a potential world-beater on our hands. And I'm not sure that's really down to training - I think it's down to confidence. I don't think he's established himself as an integral part of the team yet. He's still looking over his shoulder at Jota and Gakpo, he's still struggling with the language, and aside from a handful of games around mid-season, he hasn't really found any consistent goal-scoring form. His second season at Benfica still gives me some hope that the goals will come once he feels settled. I think it's worth hanging onto him for another season to see if that materialises.

Agree with this. I have no idea if it will finally click for him but if it does then we're really onto something. Definitely warrants another season. If we're still shaking our heads by this time next year then it's time to cut our losses.

That shot against Palace that was saved..

I know it went straight to the keeper, but it was impressive how he could shape himself to generate that much force in a split second.

That shot against Palace that was saved..

I know it went straight to the keeper, but it was impressive how he could shape himself to generate that much force in a split second.

Yeah, but the problem with him is he tends to try to blast everything and regularly loses control of the attempt.

He’s not the only one in the team that does it - but if had a little more composure, he’d have just clipped it gently past the keeper.

Our attacking players have collectively shit the bed when in good positions lately.

When you try to put Solanke, Cole Palmer and Nunez into the same sentence, that's when it hits you and makes you either want to cry, laugh or swear. You can throw Isak into the mix too.

Yet 30 pages in, we're still unable to come to a general consensus that he's in fact still a donkey.

Last edited:
I still think Nunez is at worst useful. It really depends how the manager wants to play, and whether we can afford to use him as an option rather than a mainstay if he doesn't ever unlock the potential that is there. I think we'll recover a good amount of money on him regardless.

I still think Nunez is at worst useful. It really depends how the manager wants to play, and whether we can afford to use him as an option rather than a mainstay if he doesn't ever unlock the potential that is there. I think we'll recover a good amount of money on him regardless.
I wonder if like many strikers Nunez will be more effective playing alongside another striker rather than holding the line himself. It's a very rare breed who can lead the line for a top team with all the subtle tactical details this role entails while also scoring loads consistently – for every Drogba and Kane who can pull it off there are 3 Lukakus, Tammy Abrahams and Moratas who seem to have all the physical and technical tools, but maybe not quite the required football intelligence or coolness in front of goal. Take our recent tormentor Scamacca – he now thrives in the front 2 in Atalanta after flopping as the lone striker in the Premier League. It's simply not for everyone.

It's a bit like the lone #6 problem – far more midfielders are capable of playing in a double-pivot than as a lone 6; however those who can hold their own in that position definitely elevate their teams to a new level. But there are only 3-4 of those in the world at the very top level at any given time.

BTW do we have a buy-back option on Solanke?

Last edited:
I could go through all his misses and pick 3 where had he not been a complete numpty we’d be top with a healthy lead.
TBF you could do that for every match with other players. There’s a reason strikers only score from 1:4 on average.

TBF you could do that for every match with other players. There’s a reason strikers only score from 1:4 on average.
Sure you can. It’s just that Darwin has a lot more to choose from.

I still hate watching Salah get the ball on his left just inside the box. You just know he will curl it into the stands or right at the keeper. That’s worked about once in two seasons.

But back to the massive flop. He’s shite.

IMG-20240416-WA0001.jpg

He popped into the bar for a dump

If the midfield seeked out Nunez around the box as much as the do Salah I am sure that Nunez would have a lot more goals to his name

We need the opposition goalkeepers to hit him more in the back when they're kicking the ball out. That gives him a bigger chance of scoring goals than finishing himself.

I wonder if like many strikers Nunez will be more effective playing alongside another striker rather than holding the line himself. It's a very rare breed who can lead the line for a top team with all the subtle tactical details this role entails while also scoring loads consistently – for every Drogba and Kane who can pull it off there are 3 Lukakus, Tammy Abrahams and Moratas who seem to have all the physical and technical tools, but maybe not quite the required football intelligence or coolness in front of goal. Take our recent tormentor Scamacca – he now thrives in the front 2 in Atalanta after flopping as the lone striker in the Premier League. It's simply not for everyone.

It's a bit like the lone #6 problem – far more midfielders are capable of playing in a double-pivot than as a lone 6; however those who can hold their own in that position definitely elevate their teams to a new level. But there are only 3-4 of those in the world at the very top level at any given time.

BTW do we have a buy-back option on Solanke?

To be fair, Lukaku scored 15 goals or more in the Premier League 5 times annd Abraham managed it once. Morata’s best season (and he only play 1 full season) was 11 in 31 appearances - Nunez is currently on 11 from 30, although achieved in less minutes.

I don’t think Nunez could even be considered as good as Lukaku at the minute, he’s just been bang average.

If Amorim does get the job - Nunez is going to be leading the line and our entire season will likely rest on his ability, to score a bucket load more than 15 league goals - he’ll need to be over 20 for sure.

It’s possible, but he needs a lot of work to get there - he’ll be 25 in June - do he should really be hitting his prime and ironed out these issues.

You know what happens in a football team when someone is shite and can’t finish? People will prefer to pass to someone else.
The spazzy mong should’ve passed the ball to Salah at the weekend. First half a nice simple ball towards the pen spot was on. Instead he decided to hit it right foot at the keeper with the power of a 12 year old girl. I was fuming. Even though Salah probably would’ve missed.

Still on the fence. I was hoping Klopp could have some Lewandowski-style impact on Nunez's finishing and scoring, which has not materialised. It's unfair to dismiss his assists and overall impact on our game - it's largely why Firmino was loved, and he got shielded to some extent by having two hugely clinical wingers on either side of him. Nunez has a fading Salah and an unproductive Diaz. Combine that with the high price tag and he's dealing with a much brighter spotlight on his game and finishing in particular. The gut says we've overpaid (considerably), and we should have waited for a striker to have two decent years before paying out so much, especially in Portugal. There's enough there to carry on working with, but, and it's a big but, the next attacker we bring to this club, regardless of position, has to be a proven, resilient goal scorer.

Diaz and Nunez have not upped their productivity since Portugal, Salah is on the wane, nor is there a great deal of chemistry on the cards to indicate it's all going to click into gear. For all the praise our attack has received, I think the fans have known deep down there are issues there, and stats and decent moments have papered over some cracks. Klopp could have explored the Salah and Nunez partnership more, even with some version of a 4-4-2, but it's done now. How the new manager structures the attack will be interesting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom