• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Konate Kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need 5 senior CBS next season (instead of the normal 4): Van Dijk is coming off a serious injury and might have set-backs or his playing time might be needed to be managed and other CBs have potential injury concerns as well. If we sign Konate, then one of Matip, Gomez or Kabak will probably need to leave (I assume Phillips will stay as a back-up).

If the medical team thinks Matip is likely to fully recover and not be permanently crippled by his back issues, then I would actually consider selling Gomez. If he loses just a bit of pace due to the accumulation of all these serious injuries and age, he will become a very average defender very quickly. And as the England international and home-grown player, he will command the best selling fee compared to any of the others.

Oh, and I completely forgot about Davies. No idea how he figures in all this. Maybe goes out on loan?

Appaz there are some Premier League clubs and Celtic that are looking at Davies should we consider to sell him.
So I'm guessing this could be one were we make a profit but with the player not even starting a game for us..

It's impressive though, happy we are also picking up Konate and not Upamecano who looked subpar against us

If we do get this guy, I would think we would not be buying Kabak?

That would not be the best for morale when we play in the CL finals this year.

Didn't GKMacca say that Gomez's agent would demand to move to a London club if he's no longer first choice, or something along those lines?

I'd be amazed if we let Gomez go, TBH. Complete non-starter. The only caveat is if he starts acting a dick behind the scenes, but I can't see that happening. Matip is the one who needs to go.

We were unaffected by the VVD injury. It was when Gomez went down everything went to shit. The lad stepped up in his absence and proved himself in his own right.

This is like Origi is a goal game striker, if you only look at the five games in a row he scored in and forget the rest.

He's 21 and he's already had hip surgery. I haven't been able to find what the exact cause was but it seems it's either a labral tear or a hip flexor tear.

Problems with your hip and hip flexor often cause problems higher up and lower down. It's no surprise one of the other injuries is a thigh muscle. It's very possible the two are related, and the fact the hip was bad enough to require surgery is a red flag.

I don't know how many players have suffered similar injuries and returned to their best. I do know Harry Kewell had similar hip problems.

According to Raj Chohan: Konate's hip flexor injury gave him recurrent issues until he had surgery in July - an iliopsoas release. This surgery has a high success rate & the fact he’s not had any hip issues 9 months down the line from that, is a good sign.

Erik Lamela is another one that has had hip surgery.

I'm sure there's a few more but it's already alarming looking at how they all were post hip surgery

Lamela had double hip surgery though. But either way, his injury record since is dire:

Screenshot 2021-03-29 214749.png

It's a risk alright. And when we're coming from a situation where we have two really injury prone centre halves (one who should leave) and another who has had a heavy injury, then it's a big worry.

It's also really odd timing, when Kabak and Phillips need to play their arses off for the rest of the season, it's sort of a "what's the fucking point" situation for them.

It's very odd.

It makes me wonder about VVD's future

Well it's possible that both Phillips and Matip will go, so that would leave us with VVD, Gomez, Kabak and this lad. Which on paper is the same as this season really. Potential for 2-3 centre halves to spend most of the season in the treatment room.

There is a simple rule with Klopps signings, either they have next to no injuries:

Salah
VVD
TAA
Robbo
Bobby
Gini
Mane

And above is your reliable list, the others are fucked and have been for long periods. Also I am not talking about game induced Pickford rapes on our players.

Also, has anybody considered the impact this news will have on Kabaks performances for the rest of the season ?

Well it's possible that both Phillips and Matip will go, so that would leave us with VVD, Gomez, Kabak and this lad. Which on paper is the same as this season really. Potential for 2-3 centre halves to spend most of the season in the treatment room.

I think it is going to be difficult to sell Matip. Long contract with wages over 100k. Would other clubs be willing to take on such a contract given his injury record?

I kinda hope Phillips sticks around. There will always be a role for a defender with his aerial prowess in our squad. But given the number of first-team starts he has had this season, I will be surprised if he accepts a squad role with us. I can see him moving to other clubs and being a solid premier league defender with experience.

It is very odd that we are spending money on someone with such an injury record. Just the names being discussed in the last two pages who had similar surgeries - Kewell, Sturridge - makes me even more pessimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom