• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The not confirmed, it's really only a rumour transfer thread ;Summer 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20120...ion-schalke-liverpool-novias_54341670432.html

A report in Spain this afternoon will excite both Tottenham and Liverpool fans as we head into the final days of the summer transfer window.

El Mundo Deportivo claim Spurs, Liverpool and Schalke have come to agreement with Barcelona on the loan signing of Dutch winger Ibrahim Afellay for the duration of the 2012/2013 season.

In truth the El Mundo Deportivo report is rather vague, also positioning Arsenal, Newcastle and Inter Milan in the race for Afellay who they expect to leave the Nou Camp before the end of the summer window.

Afellay’s agent Rob Jansen has told Dutch TV “we are talking to several clubs.” Whilst El Mundo Deportivo speculate that the money Tottenham received from Real Madrid for Luka Modric would “ironically” help Spurs chairman Daniel Levy push the deal through.

The decision now reportedly rests with the player. Spurs and Liverpool have already been in a similar situation this summer over the transfer of Gylfi Sigurdsson.

Ibrahim Afellay would undoubtedly be an asset to Spurs or Liverpool in the coming season. Despite injury last term, the 26-year-old winger is a quality player and would likely light up the Premier League. The fact Barcelona are not willing to sell Afellay permanently says plenty.

Andre Villas-Boas is reportedly eager to add more wide players to help the likes of Gareth Bale and Aaron Lennon at Spurs whilst Brendan Rodgers would be keen for an experienced talented wide man having fielded young starlet Raheem Sterling in the last two games.

A move to Arsenal had been mooted earlier this summer due to Afellay’s friendship with Robin van Persie. Presumably, Schalke can also not be ruled out having proved they can pay big wages to the likes of Raul and Klaas-Jan Huntelaar to lure players from Spain.

Now that we've signed Assaidi I'll be very surprised if Afellay (whom I rate) also arrives.

Both Sturridge and Defoe worry me a bit. They're clearly both talented players but neither of them, Defoe especially, seems to have made that talent count with enough consistency to become a regular choice elsewhere. I wouldn't be busting a gut to get either of them TBH.

Sturridge holds the ball far too long and tries to take on defenders with fancy dribbles anytime he can, he seems a very selfish player. Would Bren be able to break him of his bad habits?

Sturridge holds the ball far too long and tries to take on defenders with fancy dribbles anytime he can, he seems a very selfish player. Would Bren be able to break him of his bad habits?

That sounds just like Defoe. In fact most strikers ! Think Bren could do a job on him.

No probs. Didn't he get Raheem to stop saying "steady"? Sturridge would be like putty.

I've seen maybe half a dozen clips of him and was actually reasonably impressed. However, we don't need him *and* Assaidi.

Unbelievable scoring record. I just wonder why he's only at Schalke, not banging them in for one of the really top sides.

I'd take Huntelaar obviously, but 18 million is really big money for a 29 year old. I'd really rather someone like Damiao, if we have that much cash.

Not very moneyball and he's a bit slow, class finisher though, just watching a video of his goals from last season, they're all headers, and some tap ins and pens.

I'd take Huntelaar obviously, but 18 million is really big money for a 29 year old. I'd really rather someone like Damiao, if we have that much cash.

It's about 16 million that. Damiao would be very expensive surely ?

I'd be a bit wary. He is 29, and not really been a success at the two top sides he's played for. I also have always been more in favour of getting a more complete striker, who'd fit in well with our attack, and that IMO, isn't just someone who can finish, but someone who can lead the line as a quality off-the ball runner, and mesh well with Suarez and co's quality on-the-ball work. I'd thus prefer someone with a bit of pace and strength, and who can play off the defence's shoulder over someone who's a classic fox-in-the-box type, if you know what I mean.

Would you take Van Persie ?
Not entirely a fair comparison. van Persie's been banging them in England for years at the top level. Huntelaar, on the other hand, has only really done it in Holland and in Germany, while being sort of a failure at both Madrid and Milan - the two big clubs he's played for.

It's about 16 million that. Damiao would be very expensive surely ?
I suppose so. Spurs had 18 million rejected for him. But perhaps Damiao didn't really want to go there. Wishful thinking, but maybe Lucas can have a word?

Not entirely a fair comparison. van Persie's been banging them in England for years for a big club. Huntelaar, on the other hand, has done it in Holland and in Germany, but been sort of a failure at both Madrid and Milan - the two big clubs he's only really played for.

He scored 8 in 20 at Madrid, and most of his appearances - if I remember correctly - were sub appearances. He didn't do well at Milan though (7 in 25 league games).

RvP has not been banging 'em in for years - 2 seasons of 15+ league goals (his last two) ... Before that? 5,5,11,7*,11,9* ...

* - injury shortened seasons.

Huntelaar had 15 starts and 7 goals for Milan, and 15 starts and 8 goals for Real.
Not to bad for someone labelled as not a success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom