• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Top four.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. City
  2. Manure
  3. Spurs
  4. Liverpool
That's more hope more than belief TBH. That's on the premise that we actually buy a quality CB. If we don't then i don't think we have a chance in hell of top 4. I'm not convinced by our goalkeeper (karius is shit and mignolet is average at best), LB, or CB in the slightest. We look dodgy as fuck still defensively. It will be a major clusterfuck on Klopp's part if he doesn't buy a CM and CB.

Every club gets injuies and our style of play (high intensity) means we willl get more injuries than other clubs. big 4 weesk for the club.

On the club's part, not Klopp's. You can be sure he's pushing hard for us to do exactly that.
Yeah but i'm not liking the report of apparently its van dijk or no one. I get he wants his first choice, but its not like van dijk is the best CB in the world. There's plenty of other dominant CB's we could go after instead.

I know what you mean, but I see this as an important stage in our journey to get back into the absolute top rank of English football. For so many years we've "made do and mended", and it's got us nowhere fast. I think Klopp's signalling that he wants those days to be over and done with, and I support him in that.

I know what you mean, but I see this as an important stage in our journey to get back into the absolute top rank of English football. For so many years we've "made do and mended", and it's got us nowhere fast. I think Klopp's signalling that he wants those days to be over and done with, and I support him in that.

Yeah, being more picky is the right tactic, but we also need to be better at identifying the right targets that are also available to move. We've essentially only bought Salah in the last 12 months, so need to get better at it.

It's definitely better than the spread betting we used to do though.

But if Southampton are refusing to sell then we need alternatives. We can't go into the season hoping Southampton will change their mind.

We don't get van dijk, it'll be

"Mama has really matured when he was at crystal palace, and I believe he's ready to fight for a place"

I agree we can't base our future strategy just on vague hopes but, if Klopp takes the view that possible alternatives aren't worth the fees we'd be quoted for them and he'd rather stick with what we've got until we can do a deal he really wants, I'm prepared to trust his judgment. Yes, it might mean changing tack in respect of Mamadou Sakho, at least for now, but if Klopp reckons that's the appropriate short-term solution I'm not going to try and claim I know better.

We don't get van dijk, it'll be

"Mama has really matured when he was at crystal palace, and I believe he's ready to fight for a place"

That's probably preferable to having him train with the U23 while Klavan is playing in the Champions League.

I agree we can't base our future strategy just on vague hopes but, if Klopp takes the view that possible alternatives aren't worth the fees we'd be quoted for them and he'd rather stick with what we've got until we can do a deal he really wants, I'm prepared to trust his judgment. Yes, it might mean changing tack in respect of Mamadou Sakho, at least for now, but if Klopp reckons that's the appropriate short-term solution I'm not going to try and claim I know better.
The issue with that though is that we don't have an unlimited time to achieve it.

Firstly there is the issue that if we wait another season then those players' status may rise to levels that attract attention from more desirable clubs and we won't be able to sign them anyway. The second is that we would have given the likes of City and United three windows to create teams of superstars that would make winning the PL all the more difficult if not highly improbable (see Barca & RM).

Personally I see an opportunity this season to build on the exciting base Klopp has constructed, although City are almost beyond our reach already IMHO. The acquisition of VVD, Keita and Salah would have given us a really good shot. Currently we are now back to fighting for Top 3 or 4.

Liverpool to win Premier League if they sign Southampton ace Virgil van Dijk - Micky Quinn

LIVERPOOL can win the Premier League this season if they sign Southampton Virgil van Dijk, according to pundit Micky Quinn.

By DAVID WRIGHT
PUBLISHED: 12:39, Tue, Aug 1, 2017 | UPDATED: 13:02, Tue, Aug 1, 2017

Van Dijk is reportedly set for crunch talks with Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino this week to discuss his future.
The Dutch defender wants to work with Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp at Anfield and is keen to push through a move.
And former Newcastle player Quinn - a Liverpool supporter - reckons Van Dijk would transform Klopp's side into title winners, as long as Barcelona target Philippe Coutinho stays put.
Quinn told talkSPORT: “[Sadio] Mane’s back fit, they’ve signed [Mohamed] Salah, they’re playing lovely football where they left off last season.
Virgil-van-Dijk-835582.jpg
GETTY
Virgil van Dijk could make Liverpool title winners, claims Micky Quinn
“I think they’ll be a title challenger and I think if they get Van Dijk and keep [Philippe] Coutinho, they could even with the league.”​
Liverpool were publicly forced to end their pursuit of Van Dijk earlier in the window after Southampton accused the Reds of illegally tapping up the 26-year-old.
Klopp recently refused to comment on whether his side will renew their interest in Van Dijk, who is valued at £70million by Southampton.
Asked whether they could revive their interest in him, Klopp said: "Am I allowed to talk about this? I am not.
"Pretty much everything I could say would be a mistake - and not because it is an open case or something.
"You or your colleagues wrote everything about this a few weeks ago. I was in Iceland when someone told me it was all in the newspapers.
"Nothing happened since then. All good so far, so I can't say anything about this."

Surprised almost no one has Arsenal in their top 4. If they keep Sanchez, they have will have a well-balanced and experienced team with attacking quality that matches that of Man City. I also think Xhaka will show he's a better player than what he showed in his first season. I wouldn't be surprised if they won the whole thing. The biggest question mark, as always with Arsenal, are injuries.

Last summer I predicted United would struggle to fit their best players into a coherent system. Well, unfortunately this season the situation is completely different – the system is there, the spine of the team is evident and for that reason I think they will be very good this time around. Lukaku will give them the counter-attacking edge they've badly missed before and Matic will help them find the right balance in midfield to get the best out of Pogba. The defense will be solid, as Jose's teams always are. I think United, as they stand at the moment, are only a great winger away from matching some of Mourinho's best teams.

Man City seem to be the popular pick for champions. They have an incredible array of (mostly attacking) talent, but for me too many question marks – new GK is an unknown quantity, solidity of central defence will largely depend on whether Kompany stays fit (wouldn't bet on it), Aguero has been misfiring at times last season, which makes me think he might be approaching the end of his prime, while Gabriel Jesus is not experienced enough to carry a team to the title on his own. Their attacking midfield is unbeatable, of course, and Guardiola will hope it will compensate for all the weaknesses.

Chelsea will probably regress somewhat compared to last season as teams figure out how to cope with Conte's 3-4-3 system and some Chelsea players possibly suffer "second season syndrome" once again and also shift their focus on the CL. Still, let's not forget that Conte has won Serie A for 3 seasons in a row, and each time was more impressive than the last – so he won't let them regress very far, that's just not his personality. The biggest loss will be Diego Costa as I'm not sure either Morata or Batsuyahi can fully replace him.

Not sure what to make of Spurs yet as Levy is probably keeping most of his business for the transfer deadline day.

As for us, I don't see LFC finishing in top 4 at the moment. VVD is the big if – if we do get him (and he gets quickly up to speed after missing a whole pre-season of team training), then we will have upgraded our defense, which was our biggest weakness last season, and we should be right in the thick of it. If not, I'm afraid the defensive solidity will have likely have regressed with Clyne missing the pre-season and Moreno/Robertson far less solid than Milner at LB. United, City and Arsenal will all be stronger this season then the last, so unless both Chelsea and Spurs self-destruct we're likely to miss out.

Last edited:
Surprised almost no one has Arsenal in their top 4. If they keep Sanchez, they have will have a well-balanced and experienced team with attacking quality that matches that of Man City. I also think Xhaka will show he's a better player than what he showed in his first season. I wouldn't be surprised if they won the whole thing. The biggest question mark, as always with Arsenal, are injuries.

Last summer I predicted United would struggle to fit their best players into a coherent system. Well, unfortunately this season the situation is completely different – the system is there, the spine of the team is evident and for that reason I think they will be very good this time around. Lukaku will give them find the counter-attacking edge they've badly missed before and Matic will help them find the right balance in midfield to get the best out of Pogba. The defense will be solid, as Jose's teams always are. I think United as they stand at the moment are only a great winger away from matching some of Mourinho's best teams.

Man City seem to be the popular pick for champions. They have an incredible array of (mostly attacking) talent, but for me too many question marks – new GK is an unknown quantity, solidity of central defence will largely depend on whether Kompany stays fit (wouldn't bet on it), Aguero has been misfiring at times last season, which makes me think he might be approaching the end of his prime, while Gabriel Jesus is not experienced enough to carry a team to the title on his own. Their attacking midfield is unbeatable, of course, and Guardiola will hope it will compensate for all the weaknesses.

Chelsea will probably regress somewhat compared to last season as teams figure out how to cope with Conte's 3-4-3 system and some Chelsea players possibly suffer "second season syndrome" once again and also shift their focus on the CL. Still, let's not forget that Conte has won Serie A for 3 seasons in a row, and each time was more impressive than the last – so he won't let them regress very far, that's just not his personality. The biggest loss will be Diego Costa as I'm not sure either Morata or Batsuyahi can fully replace him.

Not sure what to make of Spurs yet as Levy is probably keeping most of his business for the transfer deadline day.

As for us, I don't see LFC finishing in top 4 at the moment. VVD is the big if – if we do get him (and he gets quickly up to speed after missing a whole pre-season of team training), then we will have upgraded our defense, which was our biggest weakness last season, and we should be right in the thick of it. If not, I'm afraid the defensive solidity will have likely have regressed with Clyne missing the pre-season and Moreno/Robertson far less solid than Milner at LB. United, City and Arsenal will all be stronger this season then the last, so unless both Chelsea and Spurs self-destruct we're likely to miss out.
That's a good summary rurik, but I feel you're a little hard on us, or rather not kind enough. Salah will make a huge difference for us, not only have we removed one of our biggest weaknesses, our reliance on Mane for speed, he'll also allow Phil to move to midfield which will strengthen that area, plus, he brings more goals to the team whilst not really effecting Phils output. Also whilst Robertson is an unknown quantity, him being a left footed left back with a good cross on him brings such good balance to the side, that improves us markedly in my books, and I'm not sure I agree with you on Milners solidity, he showed very much he wasn't a natural left back at times last season, especially during the second half.

I would agree we are still simply top four candidates at this point, favourites possibly, but still just candidates. I've already tipped Spurs to drop out because of Wembley, and I think you're underestimating the effect Thursday night games will have on Arsenal, they were already poor after Wednesday games, this will just exacerbate that, keeping Sanchez would be massive though.

The key for us becoming much more solid players in this league is VVD and an additional midfielder, even if that's Oxlaid, and injection of tenacity and ability to drive the ball forward from the middle of the park will greatly boost our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom