• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Top four.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Utd do look pretty good now, sadly.
If they get Bale as well, I'd move them up AS favourites.

Arsenal still lack a spine in midfield and defense for me. But if they keep Sanchez they've got a good chance of making the top 4.

Spurs will regress I think. Chelsea might regress a bit, dependent on how Morata settles and how they cope with CL footy and a small squad.

City look very good but still lack a top CB. They're attacking options are insane and now also have two very attacking FBs.

We? I think we have improved with the signing of Salah. That and keeping every player and the team from last season that Klopp wants to work with.
Dont underestimate that.
Need 1-2 more Quality signings to be challenging. If not we'll be around top 4-6.
VVD is essential and then a midfielder is a huge bonus. But maybe not a neccesity if Henderson stays fit.

Surprised almost no one has Arsenal in their top 4. If they keep Sanchez, they have will have a well-balanced and experienced team with attacking quality that matches that of Man City. I also think Xhaka will show he's a better player than what he showed in his first season. I wouldn't be surprised if they won the whole thing. The biggest question mark, as always with Arsenal, are injuries.

Last summer I predicted United would struggle to fit their best players into a coherent system. Well, unfortunately this season the situation is completely different – the system is there, the spine of the team is evident and for that reason I think they will be very good this time around. Lukaku will give them the counter-attacking edge they've badly missed before and Matic will help them find the right balance in midfield to get the best out of Pogba. The defense will be solid, as Jose's teams always are. I think United, as they stand at the moment, are only a great winger away from matching some of Mourinho's best teams.

Man City seem to be the popular pick for champions. They have an incredible array of (mostly attacking) talent, but for me too many question marks – new GK is an unknown quantity, solidity of central defence will largely depend on whether Kompany stays fit (wouldn't bet on it), Aguero has been misfiring at times last season, which makes me think he might be approaching the end of his prime, while Gabriel Jesus is not experienced enough to carry a team to the title on his own. Their attacking midfield is unbeatable, of course, and Guardiola will hope it will compensate for all the weaknesses.

Chelsea will probably regress somewhat compared to last season as teams figure out how to cope with Conte's 3-4-3 system and some Chelsea players possibly suffer "second season syndrome" once again and also shift their focus on the CL. Still, let's not forget that Conte has won Serie A for 3 seasons in a row, and each time was more impressive than the last – so he won't let them regress very far, that's just not his personality. The biggest loss will be Diego Costa as I'm not sure either Morata or Batsuyahi can fully replace him.

Not sure what to make of Spurs yet as Levy is probably keeping most of his business for the transfer deadline day.

As for us, I don't see LFC finishing in top 4 at the moment. VVD is the big if – if we do get him (and he gets quickly up to speed after missing a whole pre-season of team training), then we will have upgraded our defense, which was our biggest weakness last season, and we should be right in the thick of it. If not, I'm afraid the defensive solidity will have likely have regressed with Clyne missing the pre-season and Moreno/Robertson far less solid than Milner at LB. United, City and Arsenal will all be stronger this season then the last, so unless both Chelsea and Spurs self-destruct we're likely to miss out.

Yeah a bit hard on us (as is 6Cm's wont. See last season's forecast thread) ! A lot of imponderables at this moment still need clarification for all the clubs so until then the picture is going to be rather opaque. However :

United : Matic is, very disappointingly, exactly what they need. That will make a difference in that he will free up Pogba and Herrera for more offensive work. Pulisic is a key transfer for them though, get him and it may transform their attack, without him Lukaku alone isn't that big an improvement on Ibra to make a massive attacking difference. They will also have CL where Mourinho will play his best teams, he'll want to do well there. An improvement over last season but they'll fall well short again. Top 4.

City : Attack is awesome, anyone who's seen them in pre-season will know they are going to blow many teams away. I hope the City fan who said they are not after VVD is right because he would be the final piece after massive strengthening of their fullbacks. They've already spent over £200m though and maybe another £50-70m is a step too far for FFP. I could even see them challenging for the CL. They, literally, have a squad that could put out two Top 6 teams. Clear, clear favourites for me.

Chelsea : Missing Hazard and Bakayoko could see lost points early on. They haven't looked cohesive or threatening enough in attack over pre-season. I thought they would be stronger but the loss of Costa is massive and, as I stated earlier, I have my doubts over Morata adjusting this first season, maybe Batshuayi will even be first choice. Top 4.

Spurs : Defensively weaker than last season with the sale of Walker (and Trippier currently injured, Dier may have to fill in at RB). Did they peak last season ? A lot went right for them. Can't drop the CL the way they did the EL last year, that undoubtedly aided a small squad with it's cause. Even late transfers are likely not going to be of first team standard. Then there's the' Wembley Factor'. Drop to 5th.

Arsenal : Midfield is weak. Defense has issues. Attack is relying on Sanchez remaining and staying motivated. An injury prone squad. With Sanchez and Lacazette they have the ability to win games at the drop of a hat, but over a season with the potential for 18 EL games it will be too little. Stay 6th.

Liverpool : Let's start by saying this is a slightly improved squad on that that finished 4th last season after suffering a huge injury/confidence crisis in January / February. It definitely had the potential to finish runners-up last season.
In the Summer people seem to forget how we played with a full complement (and in pre-season that trend generally continued) and focus on names and transfers rather than tactics and performance. Other teams' transfers don't always pan out (nor our own) but integration looks good for us as it stands.
A lot hinges on the potential VVD transfer, and if not him then another CB, over 4 comps that position is going to be critical. I'd like another strong CM too. With those we could go Top 2. Without we'll still finish Top 4 bar another injury crisis akin to last season. Last 16, mayber quarters in the CL.

Hendo doesn't seem to be able to last a season anymore, lallana out for 2-3 months, Still no main striker who will get 20+ goals, more games as we are in europe and a shit defence. Our chance of top 4 is slim at best currently.

Hendo doesn't seem to be able to last a season anymore, lallana out for 2-3 months, Still no main striker who will get 20+ goals, more games as we are in europe and a shit defence. Our chance of top 4 is slim at best currently.
Yep, that's unless we fuck off every competition bar the league. Then we might have a chance at getting 4th.

Can some one point me towards the same thread before the start of last season?
I can't seem to find it.

Yup.

And VVD won't make us a top 4 team either.
I think people underestimate the effect that not having European football had on our league position last season.

I think we need too many things to go our way to get top four.

No, getting the best CB in the League obviously wont help our defence. At all.

No, getting the best CB in the League obviously wont help our defence. At all.

It won't have as much of an effect as you might think.

And i'm not so certain he's the best CB in the league. Even if he returns to his pre-injury form

According to football manager:

17-18-Premier-League-sim.jpg

Apparently we'll concede the fewest amount of goals... Guess Hendo is a DM after all.
That goals conceded column tells you all you need to know about that table.

Whilst the points tally & position may not be a million miles off, to think that we'll concede the least goals in the league is utter insanity.

Everton finishing 12 points behind 6th placed Tottenham after all the spendings. I like. :p

Absolutely no idea. I will tip us to win it if we hold onto Coutinho and somehow resurrect both the Keita and Van Dijk deals. As I think we will sell Coutinho and probably only add Van Dijk I'll go for.............................

Man City
Man Utd
Liverpool
Chelsea

Yeah not happening at the minute, and definitely not if we sell Coutinho.

Absolutely no idea. I will tip us to win it if we hold onto Coutinho and somehow resurrect both the Keita and Van Dijk deals. As I think we will sell Coutinho and probably only add Van Dijk I'll go for.............................

Man City
Man Utd
Liverpool
Chelsea

Arsenal don't have champions league (the only reason we managed last year). They're not selling Sanchez. They're fucking nailed on.

Liverpool : Let's start by saying this is a slightly improved squad on that that finished 4th last season after suffering a huge injury/confidence crisis in January / February. It definitely had the potential to finish runners-up last season.
In the Summer people seem to forget how we played with a full complement (and in pre-season that trend generally continued) and focus on names and transfers rather than tactics and performance. Other teams' transfers don't always pan out (nor our own) but integration looks good for us as it stands.
A lot hinges on the potential VVD transfer, and if not him then another CB, over 4 comps that position is going to be critical. I'd like another strong CM too. With those we could go Top 2. Without we'll still finish Top 4 bar another injury crisis akin to last season. Last 16, mayber quarters in the CL.
--

It's a squad game and it will be a scrap for us to finish top four as things stand. There's an argument to be made that Arsenal and Man Utd have both done enough to close the gap from last year, whereas City have certainly done enough to pull further away.

We'll have to see how Morata for Costa pans out, but at the moment us and Spurs look the most vulnerable in the top four - and Spurs less so than us.

Right now our squad is definitely top six, top four possibly if we have an early exit from CL/EL.

Arsenal don't have champions league (the only reason we managed last year). They're not selling Sanchez. They're fucking nailed on.
They're in the Europa League though, which will tire them out the longer they stay in that competition, just as Mourinho found out last season.

And I doubt Wenger has the nous to win it.

Arsenal still have European games to play (we didn't) and the Europa League is more of a hindrance to league prospects than the Champions league is. Add to that that Arsenal still don't have a decent DM'er and still only have one (Koscielny) decent CB. Lacazette might improve them but I suspect he won't.

As things stand I see Arsenal missing out on top 4 but won't be surprised if they focus on the Europa League by Spring once it becomes clear it's their best route to next season CL. Also it would enable Wenger to claim his first European trophy.

That goals conceded column tells you all you need to know about that table.

Whilst the points tally & position may not be a million miles off, to think that we'll concede the least goals in the league is utter insanity.
The table is completely valid and I am shocked at your insinuation. It is a collaboration between Quinn and Lawrenson.

Last edited:
Arsenal still have European games to play (we didn't) and the Europa League is more of a hindrance to league prospects than the Champions league is. Add to that that Arsenal still don't have a decent DM'er and still only have one (Koscielny) decent CB. Lacazette might improve them but I suspect he won't.

As things stand I see Arsenal missing out on top 4 but won't be surprised if they focus on the Europa League by Spring once it becomes clear it's their best route to next season CL. Also it would enable Wenger to claim his first European trophy.

I think they'll play their second team for much of it

We might have a better starting XI than some of our opponents but as we all know it doesn't mean shit. I agree with those saying it's a squad game and at the moment our squad is pretty inferior to at least 4 of our opponents.

We lose Firmino, we play Sturridge, great!

We lose Salah or Mané, we move Coutinho to the wing and play Lallana or Wijnaldum in midfield. No problem there.

We lose Coutinho, we play Lallana, Grujic, Milner or Wijnaldum. Not ideal but OK.

We lose, Can or Hendo in he defensive role, sitting back role, we can replace one of them with Wijnaldum or Milner (not my idea). Not ideal imo but OK.

We lose Clyne, we play TAA. Risky but OK.

We lose Moreno or Milner. Edit I forgot Robertson. Guess we're OK.

We lose Matip. We're fucked.

We lose Mignolet. Meh. Not sure about Ward and Karius.

So basically, we are at least 1 player from being OK, we need a new CB.
But ideally, we'd sign a midfielder as well.

Last edited:
They will get to play 19 games in the EL if they make the final. We would play 15 by including qualifying vs. Hoffenheim and making it to the CL final. Needless to say which is the more likely .. and draining since many of those teams in the EL involve travel to Inner Kazahrovia.

I think they'll play their second team for much of it
I really doubt it. In fact I'd go as far as to say that in what is likely to be Wenger's last season there would be nothing more he'd like than a CL slot via winning his first European Trophy.

We might have a better starting XI than some of our opponents but as we all know it doesn't mean shit. I agree with those saying it's a squad game and at the moment our squad is pretty inferior to at least 4 of our opponents.

We lose Salah or Mané, we move Coutinho to the wing and play Lallana or Wijnaldum in midfield. No problem there.

We lose Coutinho, we play Lallana, Grujic, Milner or Wijnaldum. Not ideal but OK.

We lose, Can or Hendo in he defensive role, sittinf back role, we can replace one of them with Wijnaldum or Milner (not me idea). Not ideal imo but OK.

So after all that you actually think we'll be OK squad-wise if we just sign a CB :D

So after all that you actually think we'll be OK squad-wise if we just sign a CB :D
But OK doesn't mean that we'll win the league or anything. OK means we might just make 4th and compete in the domestic cups. That's not enough for me.

We lose, Can or Hendo in he defensive role, sitting back role, we can replace one of them with Wijnaldum or Milner (not my idea). Not ideal imo but OK.

I think you're being very generous on your appraisal there. With all the games we are HOPING to play we need a good 4 players still IMO.

I think you're being very generous on your appraisal there. With all the games we are HOPING to play we need a good 4 players still IMO.
Yeah, very generous. But I'm talking about the bear minimum here.
Ideally we'd sign a defensive minded CM, a CB and a winger.
So, Keita, Van Dijk and Ox and we're sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom