• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Anti Kneejerk Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I sound like a broken record, but if you can say that City isn't the same "City" from last season, despite the treble, are we the same team or better than the ones who finished 2nd twice?

Interesting question, player for player we are actually more technically gifted, and have a larger squad than those seasons when we came 2nd. We find ourselves in this position because we have an entirely new midfield, and an attack that is adjusting itself to life without Bobby. We have both a front line and a midfield that can create those match winning moments now.

When you look at City, they have actually lost clutch players that have contributed to many goals, and life without Gundo who has been the consistent presence in their midfield since Pep started winning the PL. They don't have a single player in midfield that matches what he did for them. Also on the right - they don't have a Mahrez but Foden is doing well. Also, I know they won a treble last season and its silly for me to say they did not play well, but that was a fucking easy treble for them. They had no challengers in the league - it was Arsenal's Rodgers season to use a comparison but they bottled it big time. I think the biggest problem Pep faces is:

1) more ball playing less afraid teams in the PL
2) the quality of players to replace the likes of Gundo, Mahrez is just not available on the market for him. Therefore I don't expect the same level of consistency.
3) KDB - he's what 32 now ? the way he plays, I have doubts he is going to be the same type of player he has been in previous seasons.

Interesting question, player for player we are actually more technically gifted, and have a larger squad than those seasons when we came 2nd. We find ourselves in this position because we have an entirely new midfield, and an attack that is adjusting itself to life without Bobby. We have both a front line and a midfield that can create those match winning moments now.

When you look at City, they have actually lost clutch players that have contributed to many goals, and life without Gundo who has been the consistent presence in their midfield since Pep started winning the PL. They don't have a single player in midfield that matches what he did for them. Also on the right - they don't have a Mahrez but Foden is doing well. Also, I know they won a treble last season and its silly for me to say they did not play well, but that was a fucking easy treble for them. They had no challengers in the league - it was Arsenal's Rodgers season to use a comparison but they bottled it big time. I think the biggest problem Pep faces is:

1) more ball playing less afraid teams in the PL
2) the quality of players to replace the likes of Gundo, Mahrez is just not available on the market for him. Therefore I don't expect the same level of consistency.
3) KDB - he's what 32 now ? the way he plays, I have doubts he is going to be the same type of player he has been in previous seasons.
Better squad possibly, but at the moment we're missing about 1/3 of our squad.
I'm not ready to say that this team is better than the one with Fabs at DM, prime Mane, Van Dijk, Salah and Firmino. Not yet.

I'm not ready to say that this team is better than the one with Fabs at DM, prime Mane, Van Dijk, Salah and Firmino. Not yet.

The forwards are nowhere near. The midfield, whilst stronger on paper, doesn't have the cohesion the old one did.
The defence is arguably the same, it just depends if you think ibou is better than matip

I know I sound like a broken record, but if you can say that City isn't the same "City" from last season, despite the treble, are we the same team or better than the ones who finished 2nd twice?
I meant I was the broken record :D

I'm not sure what us being the 'not being same as the one that finished 2nd twice' has to do with the here and now? City - not as good as previous seasons. That's a fact, the personnel are not as good or are past their prime time, not the players they were last season (we've seen how players can drop off a cliff in just 6 months).

Us - look at where we stand, how we are winning (and improving) and yet this is a 'new' team that still has a lot of improvement to come. With players coming back and the team beginning to gel surely that means we should get better?
I'm not the only one who has noticed this by a long way - see the video from a City fan I posted earlier and look at the videos from United fans such as Goldbridge and that girl who's always posting, they see the same (never mind the plethora of LFC YT posters).

The forwards are nowhere near. The midfield, whilst stronger on paper, doesn't have the cohesion the old one did.
The defence is arguably the same, it just depends if you think ibou is better than matip
This midfield is better. The big gap is attack.

If we win a treble this season, any combination, for me it'll have been our best season of the Klopp era.

Even if that treble comes without the big 1, we'd have still had an incredible league campaign.

It’s definitely not a better team for sure, but we’ve got more creativity and attacking variety now than back then.

In personnel it's better, but at the moment it's like it's 3 individuals rather than a unit.

It'll come, but the cohesion of hendo, fab and gini can't be emulated within 6 months
The Klopp 2.0 midfield is like our attack and our defence. We have a number of quality players for each sector, that's probably better than Klopp LFC 1.0 where we had a better, more cohesive, first XI but not as good or deep a squad.

I feel this squad is filled with very good players making it deeper and the cohesiveness will come - hopefully in the second part of the season as the players becomes more and more accustomed to their new team mates.

Jota, Nunez, Mo, Gakpo and Diaz : man that's a deep pool which is, as we saw yesterday, going to help get us through injuries and the off-form or multi-match periods. Obviously not as good as Mo, Mane and Firmino but then there was a substantial drop off.

Szobo, Mac, Jones, Endo, Gravy, Elliott, Thiago, Bajcetic : again deeper than Klopp LFC v1.0 even if not yet as cohesive. As we've seen this helps a lot in time of injuries or during matches when Klopp needs to sub off-form players or requires something different.

Ali, VvD, Matip, Konate, Quansah, Robbo, Gomez, Tsimikas, Kelleher - that is a very strong defence with good backup. I'd even add Bradley to that list (as I've said numerous times before last night, I really like him).

And it should be mentioned that at least 4 of our players (probably it was 5 but Thiago maybe now a little past that level) are genuinely and indisputably world class : Ali, VvD, Trent and Mo. Not even City can say that (arguably only KdB, Rodri, Haaland) or Arsenal (maybe Rice and Saliba, no-one else)?

So maybe Klopp 2.0's first XI isn't there yet ... but overall the squad is, and we still have Klopp.

Last edited:
If we win a treble this season, any combination, for me it'll have been our best season of the Klopp era.

Even if that treble comes without the big 1, we'd have still had an incredible league campaign.
I can’t see three lesser cups topping the end of 30 years!

In personnel it's better, but at the moment it's like it's 3 individuals rather than a unit.

It'll come, but the cohesion of hendo, fab and gini can't be emulated within 6 months
Maybe but more goal too.

Can you imagine how much of an arsehole tearing Klopp 1.0 would give Klopp 2.0 on the counter? My word.

It’s all down to our forwards now - Alisson, Virgil, Endo are all doing their bit to keep us solid through the middle -we’re creating loads, if we finish off a little more of what we create - we’ll do this.

Jota is going to be essential - his fitness will determine a lot unless Donkey & Gakpo can hit a rich vein of form.

I think we’d got good stretch depth all over the squad now.

Abd City aren’t quite as good - although of course they’re still very good - they’re a Rodri injury away from relative mediocrity and it remains to be seen how de Bruyne looks on his return - he’s becoming Thiago-like in his injuries.

It’s all down to our forwards now - Alisson, Virgil, Endo are all doing their bit to keep us solid through the middle -we’re creating loads, if we finish off a little more of what we create - we’ll do this.

Jota is going to be essential - his fitness will determine a lot unless Donkey & Gakpo can hit a rich vein of form.

I think we’d got good stretch depth all over the squad now.

Abd City aren’t quite as good - although of course they’re still very good - they’re a Rodri injury away from relative mediocrity and it remains to be seen how de Bruyne looks on his return - he’s becoming Thiago-like in his injuries.
De Bruyne scares me. He’s so bloody good.

Goldbridge has a better perspective about were we are as a team right now compared to some of our own fans, and I find that very weird. Some always look for weakness instead of strength.

Goldbridge actually likes our team – basically Klopp represents everything he wants in a manager. I think he likes Klopp's football a lot better than Pep's or Arteta's too. If anything, sometimes he's too positive about LFC.

Goldbridge actually likes our team – basically Klopp represents everything he wants in a manager. I think he likes Klopp's football a lot better than Pep's or Arteta's too. If anything, sometimes he's too positive about LFC.

It's also easier to praise a team that's not your own club, especially if they're run well. Some of us are just waiting for the rain, whereas goldbridge can see the rainbows.

I'm getting slightly concerned that Liverpool fans are .... warming? (not sure if that's the right word) to a spawny little man child like Goldbridge. Maybe even moreso than Utd fans that have to put up with his over the top melodramatic antics in order to gain a few views.

I'm getting slightly concerned that Liverpool fans are .... warming? (not sure if that's the right word) to a spawny little man child like Goldbridge. Maybe even moreso than Utd fans that have to put up with his over the top melodramatic antics in order to gain a few views.

It's all an act to get views. Every time we win I see a new video from him pop up in my youtube recommendations and it's always "Liverpool can win the league" or something like that. If Arsenal or some other big team loses, it's "Arsenal in disarray" or something else negative. He's clearly expanding, he's doing "watchalong's" for basically every game involving one of the big teams.
So he's moving away from the Man U "superfan" tag and going into regular punditry and imo, it's a smart move.

It's all an act to get views. Every time we win I see a new video from him pop up in my youtube recommendations and it's always "Liverpool can win the league" or something like that. If Arsenal or some other big team loses, it's "Arsenal in disarray" or something else negative. He's clearly expanding, he's doing "watchalong's" for basically every game involving one of the big teams.
So he's moving away from the Man U "superfan" tag and going into regular punditry and imo, it's a smart move.

His analysis of our team and the job Klopp has done this summer is pretty spot on, to be fair.
Its just a bit head scratching that part of our fan base are looking for weaknesses or the right time to say I told you so if we lose a game.
We need to enjoy this era and Klopp more imho, because when he leaves we could be going through some meh times again before the next up.

His analysis of our team and the job Klopp has done this summer is pretty spot on, to be fair.
Its just a bit head scratching that part of our fan base are looking for weaknesses or the right time to say I told you so if we lose a game.
We need to enjoy this era and Klopp more imho, because when he leaves we could be going through some meh times again before the next up.
Not if we get Xabi after Klopp.

Goldbridge is money. He's partridge and it's great.

I like him as his bias is minimal (still there, but not too much), and he at least seems genuine.

He's better than 90% of YouTube fan channel stuff. Rory Jennings, buvey, mccola, true Geordie, AFTV; all blinkered fucking weirdos

Still don't think we will.

I can see klopp extending, xabi going to real or Bayern. Then we're potentially head scratching for someone.
I don't doubt it, but we're Xabi's preferred choice. I love Klopp, I really do, but sometimes and especially during a transition period it might be a good idea to bring in someone new.
Before it's too late and you're stuck with a squad of 34 year olds.

I like him as his bias is minimal (still there, but not too much), and he at least seems genuine.

He's better than 90% of YouTube fan channel stuff. Rory Jennings, buvey, mccola, true Geordie, AFTV; all blinkered fucking weirdos

You're almost selling the idea to me Fabio.

I'll be honest other than a few clips I've seen floating about on forums I've never actively searched him up and seen his contact or any of these other names you mentioned other than AFTV which I used to love for a few years but stopped watching after Claude passed and DT ended up behind bars.

Not if Alonso takes over!

I tell you what it’ll be super annoying when we do the quad and the only defeat we had all season is the fucking Spurs match!

Yeah, I think he's alright / kinda funny too.

I tell you what it’ll be super annoying when we do the quad and the only defeat we had all season is the fucking Spurs match!

For me, that would be the greatest tragedy, as then we might have finally shut arsenal up about their previous invincibles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom