• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Best season by a LFC player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modo

A contentious scando
Maybe this has been asked before but I'm curious.
The best single season performance by a Liverpool FC player, which player and which season?

For me it has to be the 13/14 season and Suarez. It's a travesty that we didn't win anything.
We say that Gerrard carried us in certain games, but I've never seen a player carry us for an entire season. Despite Salah, Mane and the success we've had recently, the 13/14 season is still the best I've seen from a Liverpool player.

Barnes 87/88? We were unplayable and he was a revelation

Any one of Lucas Leiva’s 10 seasons at the club….unluckeeeeeee.

No but 3 standout straightaway. Suarez last season, Salah first season and Virgil season we won the Prem.

Probably Gerrard in 2004/05.

He probably had better individual seasons to be honest, but usually with better players around him, and without the success of that season.

Poor 'ol Gerrard. The shit he had to deal with was criminal.

Along with all his great moments I always remember him coming on as a sub against "Total Network Solutions" and scoring a couple.

We were really struggling in that game too ffs

Salah 17/18 season:
  • 44 Goals in all comps. (Liverpool Record - most goals in a season, and most goals in a debut season)
  • 32 Goals in the league. (League Record over 38 games)
  • Champions League finalist - first time in 11 years. Targeted and injured by Ramos during the game.
  • Golden boot winner.
  • Three time player of the month winner (Only Salah and Rashford have achieved this in a single season in PL history). He also received it in consecutive months and only 9 players have ever done this in PL history.
  • PFA player of the season

Poor 'ol Gerrard. The shit he had to deal with was criminal.

Along with all his great moments I always remember him coming on as a sub against "Total Network Solutions" and scoring a couple.
Hat trick wasn’t it? First game after trying to join Chelsea.

The only correct answer is Suarez 13/14.

Owen was decent in the treble season too.

Ali when we won big ears.

Virgil when we won the league.

What about the best single season by a manager?

I would’ve said Klopp 18/19, winning the CL and getting to 97 points only losing 1 game all season but then just realised Ange had that 1 season in Scotland where he won everything so….it’s a tough 1.

What about the best single season by a manager?

I would’ve said Klopp 18/19, winning the CL and getting to 97 points only losing 1 game all season but then just realised Ange had that 1 season in Scotland where he won everything so….it’s a tough 1.
Quad nearly season was better imo.

Can't believe I'm the only one saying Barnes!
Barnes was amazing that season but suarez was completely unplayable and Barnes played in one of the greatest ever Liverpool teams while that Rodgers side had a few real quality players but some bang average ones as well

It's really gotta be Luis, doesn't it..? All he really had with him was an aging Stevie G and a bunch of mediocrity, and he almost dragged us to the title all by himself.

Both Mo and Digger both had almost equally impressive seasons, but they also had far better teammates around them, so I have to give the edge to Luis.

Stevie G had a career of dragging us to wins and trophies, but never really did it for an entire season...

And both Ali and VVD are in the conversation, too. Especially Virgil, who was robbed of the Ballon D'Or that year.

VVD almost won the Ballon d'Or that year. Imperious.
Barnes in his prime.
Gerrard.
Suarez.
Rush in the 80s.

It's really gotta be Luis, doesn't it..? All he really had with him was an aging Stevie G and a bunch of mediocrity, and he almost dragged us to the title all by himself.

Both Mo and Digger both had almost equally impressive seasons, but they also had far better teammates around them, so I have to give the edge to Luis.

Stevie G had a career of dragging us to wins and trophies, but never really did it for an entire season...

And both Ali and VVD are in the conversation, too. Especially Virgil, who was robbed of the Ballon D'Or that year.

Didn't we have Suarez, Sterling, Sturridge and Gerrard then?
Quite som firepower that.

Not sure that's quite true, to be fair.

Along with Gerrard, we also had Sturridge scoring a lot of goals, as well as Sterling, Coutinho and Henderson.

The defence was shit, granted.

Fair - I may have understated some of Luis' teammates ability, but also, how many of them would make the team that won number 6 or number 19..? Not Stuge or that bloke who faked injury to get a transfer... And Hendo did, of course, but we're not talking about the same player back when Luis ruled the league.

Not sure that's quite true, to be fair.

Along with Gerrard, we also had Sturridge scoring a lot of goals, as well as Sterling, Coutinho and Henderson.

The defence was shit, granted.

Yeah this is the thing that annoys me about the revisionist 'Suarez nearly won the league single handedly' view. That team was immense going forward, we scored 16 more goals that year than the team that actually won the title. Now if you wanted to argue that defensively we were much worse then yeah you'd be right and that probably cost us the title.

But the idea that it was a scrub team Suarez carried on his back is just not backed up at all by the facts. He was the best player in that side, but the attacking talent around him was excellent.

Don't forget, we started that Suarez season with him on an extended suspension and the Sturridge drove us to a series of 1-0 wins while Luiz watched from the stands

Don't forget, we started that Suarez season with him on an extended suspension and the Sturridge drove us to a series of 1-0 wins while Luiz watched from the stands
3 games hardly extended. Same as you’d get for a straight red.

Fair - I may have understated some of Luis' teammates ability, but also, how many of them would make the team that won number 6 or number 19..? Not Stuge or that bloke who faked injury to get a transfer... And Hendo did, of course, but we're not talking about the same player back when Luis ruled the league.

The 2014 versions of Coutinho, Sterling, Gerrard and Sturridge would have made the squad in both 2019 and 2020, and I suspect some of them would have been starters too.

I liked Suarez as much as anyone. He was a great player and I wish he had stayed. But he didn't do it all alone and he didn't do it every week.

The 2014 versions of Coutinho, Sterling, Gerrard and Sturridge would have made the squad in both 2019 and 2020, and I suspect some of them would have been starters too.

I liked Suarez as much as anyone. He was a great player and I wish he had stayed. But he didn't do it all alone and he didn't do it every week.

Yes he was fantastic, but to be honest I think if we are honest, and in terms of recognition and records I think the post by @Dirty Sanchez - sums it up - it has to be Salah's debut season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom