• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Borini

Status
Not open for further replies.
We finally get an offer of a big profit on a player that we don't want or need, and the little bugger rejects the move. Have a word Brendan. I guess he imagines that a few injuries and he'll be playing up front in the CL. You won't Fabio, you won't.

He wants to stay and fight...how is that a shining example of being a mercenary bastard....are Sunderland asking him to drop his wages significantly?

Just because a decision made by a player is inconvinient for you doesnt mean you conclude that he is a mercenary bastard.

Have a closer look at the pronouns I used.

I don't blame him - bit player for one of the world's biggest clubs in the CL or big fish in the smallest, coldest pond.

I dont see why any player would just accept a move to any old club just because we want them to go there.
Why the fuck should he?

It's the smart option for him to have a decent career. Perhaps had he not been variously shit/injured in his first season then he'd have better options available to him today. As it is, he's better off dropping down to mid-table team whilst he has the chance. If he turns his nose up at Sunderland, his options next year will be much worse than Sunderland.

He is liked and rated in Italy. Some club will bring him home for about 10million. I know we want the profit on him but I do see his point. He is probably thinking, F**K going back to Sunderland, i'll hold out for a bit.

Borini is in a bit of a quandary. He wasn't good enough for Chelski, he wasn't good enough for Roma, he's not good enough for us. So when does he get the hint? I'm not saying he's not too good for sunderland, but he needs to find the right level for his career. Sitting on our bench never playing a game isn't going to do him any favours, and he's obviously behind Sturridge/Lambert/Remy in the pecking order.

Weird though.
He spent a year at Sunderland, the supporters love him, Poyet loves him, and he's young enough to get at least a couple of big moves in his career if he starts banging goals in.
He simply won't be given game time at Liverpool. If anything he would have had a better opportunity had he stayed last season.

He spent a year fighting relegation while his parent club almost clinched the title!

It struck me the other day just how much this squad is missing a hardworking Kuyt type upfront. A versatile, loyal, full-of-running man for the big occasions. Look at his three in the game against Man Utd when Suarez terrorised them - each one a scrappy tap-in born out of being in the right place at the right time. Sure, Henderson gives us all the work ethic but he's not scoring those important goals (yet?)

Borini has good, natural movement, he works hard and has that versatility and is willing to play across that front line without complaining. He scored some vital goals for Sunderland last year. For what it's worth I think he should move, if he wants a decent career then he can't be a bit-part player at his age, but if he stayed could he bring a bit of what Kuyt did?

It struck me the other day just how much this squad is missing a hardworking Kuyt type upfront. A versatile, loyal, full-of-running man for the big occasions. Look at his three in the game against Man Utd when Suarez terrorised them - each one a scrappy tap-in born out of being in the right place at the right time. Sure, Henderson gives us all the work ethic but he's not scoring those important goals (yet?)

Borini has good, natural movement, he works hard and has that versatility and is willing to play across that front line without complaining. He scored some vital goals for Sunderland last year. For what it's worth I think he should move, if he wants a decent career then he can't be a bit-part player at his age, but if he stayed could he bring a bit of what Kuyt did?

His shooting's simply shite.
When he first started playing for us, I remember constantly praising his movement off the ball, plus his work rate, while giving his bad shots and bad close control excuses by saying he's probably still nervous, getting used to the atmosphere, etc.
Two years on and his close ball control/trapping and shooting is still just as shite. He's not in Kuyt's league right now, and if he ever wants to get there he needs games, the same way Kuyt had for Feyenoord at that age in order to develop.
He won't get that at Liverpool, thus even if he has the potential will never realise it with us. So sell.

His shooting's simply shite.
When he first started playing for us, I remember constantly praising his movement off the ball, plus his work rate, while giving his bad shots and bad close control excuses

Sounds just like Kuyt!

Kuyt broke through at Utrecht not Feyenoord, he'd already scored 20 league goals in a season before his move.

As said, I would elect to sell as it's best for the player, my point was IF he decided to stay and fight for his place; could he offer us a bit of what we had with Kuyt. I agree that he's not in Kuyt's league yet hence why I said a bit of. As you said he has good movement and work rate which I think could create a bit of space for those around him and be very handy against tired legs.

Again, I'm not advocating keeping him; I'm just giving an opinion on what I think he could bring next season if he still finds himself here on September 1st (y)

Juve rumored to be interested now that Morata is out for ~50+ days.

They only want a loan though.

He wants to stay and fight...how is that a shining example of being a mercenary bastard....are Sunderland asking him to drop his wages significantly?

Just because a decision made by a player is inconvinient for you doesnt mean you conclude that he is a mercenary bastard.

I know, it's hypocritical shite really. We moan at players who want to leave and then a lad wants to stay and actually *fight* to wear the shirt, and he's getting called a mercenary for not allowing us to take the money instead. How dare he?!

Will anyone offer us £14 million for him?

I don't think anyone else will, though at least they've kind of set a high fee for him, so hopefully it's not going to be much less if anyone else does (an Italian side?). The problem is that, when we're that desperate to get someone off the books, you know they'll end up out on loan or whatever.

I don't think anyone else will, though at least they've kind of set a high fee for him, so hopefully it's not going to be much less if anyone else does (an Italian side?). The problem is that, when we're that desperate to get someone off the books, you know they'll end up out on loan or whatever.
Looks very likely...and I'll hate him for it

It struck me the other day just how much this squad is missing a hardworking Kuyt type upfront.

Hard work is great but only if it comes with quality as it did with Suarez.

I don't see the need to invent roles for Borini just because he doesn't appear to be particularly good at doing what he was brought in to do, i.e. scoring goals and contributing to the attack.

I don't see the need to invent roles for Borini just because he doesn't appear to be particularly good at doing what he was brought in to do, i.e. scoring goals and contributing to the attack.

Agreed, though I do see similarities with Kuyt. I was deadly's biggest fan, but you can see how we don't necessarily need someone like that right now, we need fight and determination because we lack it in certain areas, but right now, there's a massive gaping hole in the quality side of us, in terms of someone who can offer a bit of brilliance to open things up or grab a game back that's running away from us.

We've got a fair amount of players who get by on having a massive percentage of the right attitude and desire making up the majority of their game.

Agreed, though I do see similarities with Kuyt. I was deadly's biggest fan, but you can see how we don't necessarily need someone like that right now, we need fight and determination because we lack it in certain areas, but right now, there's a massive gaping hole in the quality side of us, in terms of someone who can offer a bit of brilliance to open things up or grab a game back that's running away from us.

We've got a fair amount of players who get by on having a massive percentage of the right attitude and desire making up the majority of their game.

I suppose there are similarities with Kuyt in that he also had to find a new role in the side after not really proving to be the goalscorer we'd hoped for up front.

I don't think it's clear cut that we lack fight and determination yet. We certainly had it up front with Suarez last season but the likes of Sterling are all willing to put in a shift (perhaps Sturridge excepted).

Ultimately players like Kuyt, as much as managers may love them and as much as they can be very useful, are employed to mask deficiencies in the side.

I wasn't doing that Keniget old bean. As I said in my last post, I was merely musing on what Borini could offer if he was still here in September - nothing more - I have already said that it would probably be best for all concerned if he leaves.

Kuyt in his last season or so was a bit-part player and it is extremely likely/a certainty that Borini will be too if he is still here. Both Kuyt and Borini share the same positive traits (in my opinion) - while the quality of each is debatable - you can surely see what I was thinking on this.

I suppose there are similarities with Kuyt in that he also had to find a new role in the side after not really proving to be the goalscorer we'd hoped for up front.

I don't think it's clear cut that we lack fight and determination yet. We certainly had it up front with Suarez last season but the likes of Sterling are all willing to put in a shift (perhaps Sturridge excepted).

Ultimately players like Kuyt, as much as managers may love them and as much as they can be very useful, are employed to mask deficiencies in the side.

I think there is a certain amount of fight lacking in the squad and it is clear that there is also a touch of mental fragility - some of that can be put down to lack of experience. If you look at the staff and players currently at Liverpool; there isn't an awful lot of silverware among them anymore.

I disagree with the bolded line with regards to Kuyt, whilst a limited player he had one important skill in his locker and that was scoring goals in big games (many in the league and not to mention one in a Champions League final). While limited, he played the games he played for Liverpool on merit.

Frankly, I'm actually disgusted with the way we are treating Borini.

He didn't do anything wrong except played decently well for Sunderland - enough for them to offer 14M for his services.

But when he was with us, he had a run of misfortune with injuries and lack of form. But you could never accuse him of not being a trier.

But here we are - "superfans" - wanting to get rid of him as though he's trash, simply because we want that 14M so we can pretend to be the club's accountants and perform a check and balance......that we can tell the world that we really care about every single penny that goes back into the club's coshers, even though it's not our money, oh because we love and show deep concern for the club's well-being...when in actual fact, we just secretly love being fantasy managers with our mates....

I'll tell you what showing love and concern for the club is.... i.e. not slagging off a decent, nice lad who seems to show that he sincerely wants to wear that red jersey....yes, that same red jersey that you, superfan, so passionately wears on match day...so much so that you even buy your young lad one and make him wear it too. Yes, that red jersey.

So come on, give Borini a break and try not to create threads like 'good riddance' when he eventually leaves the club okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom