• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Chelsea Fucked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone explain how Usmanov can own 2 Premier Leagues clubs? That goes completely against the spirit of competition. Are they really turning a blind eye to this?
He sold his 30% share in Arsenal.

Or does he own something else?

I’d suggest the government seize Everton and distribute their assets to everyone, but it’d be a bigger sanction to make them keep everything.

While Ukranians worry about their lives Tuchel worries about his pay check, even with possible sanctions presume they will get paid

I think there’s a few ways of looking at it. Everton’s stadium issues are not really (overall) capacity related but re hospitality. They have no real space at Goodison. If you look at the business proposition for our Main Stand, we more than doubled our hospitality proposition and add higher-priced offerings - the quality of offering in the Main Stand is way above the Kenny. So a new ground for Everton makes sense in that respect, but I’m not sure they have as much demand for it as they might think. Contrast with Tottenham, for example, where that aspect of the proposition works. Plus the new build will have better comfort standards and won’t be largely made of wood.
The second aspect is maintenance. A lot of stadia in England are old and will need a lot of work doing to keep them shipshape, so although you’ve got a big outlay on build costs, you’ll also save on future maintenance (and I’m talking fairly costly structural stuff, not just cosmetics)..
Finally, if you can borrow at a decent rate, the overall proposition makes sense. You only really need to deliver a return which services your debt. I’ve done some back of the envelop figures on what I think the Annie Road will offer us and it’s not great, but it’s probably more than enough to service the debt. And it’s a much less risky proposition than spending £50-60m on a player who might not have improved our level all that much. I also think, being cynical, that it makes the club more attractive to a buyer as the capacity problem comes already solved, so it’s one less headache. For a buyer focused on sports washing (so interested in the sporting “project” to distract attention from their human rights record or whatever) it’s one fewer headache.
Finally, as a fan, I’d rather stand a better chance of getting a ticket to watch my team as it is than have the club spend a wad of cash on another player we might manage without (and who might turn out to be the next Timo Werner).
Although obviously I’d prefer we expand AND buy more boss players AND pay Mo etc.
I think I saw an article written a a few years back that calculated average spend per PL fan attending a Prem match is about £55 which over 18 PL brings in around £8m. I think in the US the average fan spends well over a $100. A family ticket to an NFL game for 4 is just under $600.

Mirror:

Interested parties are reportedly on "high alert" over the possible sale of Chelsea.

Labour MP Chris Bryant used parliamentary privilege to question Roman Abramovich's ownership of the Blues after Russian president Vladimir Putin launched an invasion of Ukraine earlier this week. Abramovich has repeatedly denied any links between him and Putin. There is no suggestion Abramovich has been involved in any wrongdoing. According to Bloomberg, however, potential suitors - including some based in the US - have begun drawing up takeover bids amid the uncertainty. These alleged individuals interested in buying Chelsea remain anonymous.

Might go to goodison today. They let you in if you say you left your season ticket at home and they could do with at least one person cheering them on

The proposal was bought up by a Labour MP and the Tories have way too much involvements with Oligarchs to screw them. Any sanctions are for show only

I think I saw an article written a a few years back that calculated average spend per PL fan attending a Prem match is about £55 which over 18 PL brings in around £8m. I think in the US the average fan spends well over a $100. A family ticket to an NFL game for 4 is just under $600.
Pretty sure that £55 will include the ticket (and if it doesn't, a lot of the £55 won't be spent with the club - it'll go on hotels / meals / retail spend / taxi fares etc). Additional match day income from food and beverages / merchandising is not big numbers in the grand scheme of things, and although the prices in the stands are high, a lot of that is to cover staffing - the bar staff will work a 7 hour day but will only be generating serious income for about and hour and a half of that. Club's are probably only making a standard-level catering margin when that's all totted up.
Then you need to deduct 20% VAT (pretty much everything a fan spends on is VATable) so your £8m becomes £6.6m (although probably back around £8m net when you take cups / European games into account). Then you've got overheads to cover (stewarding, maintenance, utilities, rates, cost of sale for food and beverage / merchandising etc). Finally, if you've made a profit, you might even pay tax on it (although most clubs have taxable losses from writing off player contracts), but you won't get tax relief for a lot of the spend on the land and buildings.
The uplift in retail from having more fans on site won't be that big either as the retail store is already more or less at full capacity on a match day (and I imagine we only built the larger store we have now because the old one in the Kop wouldn't cope with the extra footfall from the Main Stand).
That's why my broad brush numbers didn't look massively attractive, and I'd guess that's why the club is funding the Annie Road themselves (or at least that's what seems to be happening). The return isn't attractive enough for FSG to get their ownership group to put in more money when they could get a better return from the ice hockey team, or whatever it was they bought last year.

Pretty sure that £55 will include the ticket (and if it doesn't, a lot of the £55 won't be spent with the club - it'll go on hotels / meals / retail spend / taxi fares etc). Additional match day income from food and beverages / merchandising is not big numbers in the grand scheme of things, and although the prices in the stands are high, a lot of that is to cover staffing - the bar staff will work a 7 hour day but will only be generating serious income for about and hour and a half of that. Club's are probably only making a standard-level catering margin when that's all totted up.
Then you need to deduct 20% VAT (pretty much everything a fan spends on is VATable) so your £8m becomes £6.6m (although probably back around £8m net when you take cups / European games into account). Then you've got overheads to cover (stewarding, maintenance, utilities, rates, cost of sale for food and beverage / merchandising etc). Finally, if you've made a profit, you might even pay tax on it (although most clubs have taxable losses from writing off player contracts), but you won't get tax relief for a lot of the spend on the land and buildings.
The uplift in retail from having more fans on site won't be that big either as the retail store is already more or less at full capacity on a match day (and I imagine we only built the larger store we have now because the old one in the Kop wouldn't cope with the extra footfall from the Main Stand).
That's why my broad brush numbers didn't look massively attractive, and I'd guess that's why the club is funding the Annie Road themselves (or at least that's what seems to be happening). The return isn't attractive enough for FSG to get their ownership group to put in more money when they could get a better return from the ice hockey team, or whatever it was they bought last year.
The stadium expansion will now cost £80m an extra £20m.
The hope is it will add an extra £40m in rev per year as they will host 6 concerts per year along with other events

The stadium expansion will now cost £80m an extra £20m.
The hope is it will add an extra £40m in rev per year as they will host 6 concerts per year along with other events
They could host the concerts without the new stand but I think the argument is they will build the new stand to allow access to the pitch for all the stage gear. The entrance they have at the moment (Kpp end I think) is too low to allow big trucks to access so it’s more labour intensive getting stuff in.
£40m annual revenue is a load of bollocks though, they won’t earn anything like that (or if they do, most of it will go to the performers for the concerts so net profit won’t be anywhere near that kind of number). Most likely they’ll rent the ground out to promoters for a fixed fee - less risk that way if tickets don’t sell.

They do rent the ground out. Callum Smith looked into it for his world title defence and was quoted the same price as Wembley!

I think it means Roman and his financial support is off.
Funnily enough, if he wants his loan back Chelsea are bankrupt.

I think it means Roman and his financial support is off.
Funnily enough, if he wants his loan back Chelsea are bankrupt.
Its still Abramovich's in name. So if Chelsea sell, he will get the proceeds. Assuming there are no asset freezes. Otherwise he may try and wait it out.

Yeah, I think it’s like a dealer telling someone to look after his supplies until the bizzies have finished sniffing around. But I think it also means he’s been tipped off that he’s going to be on a sanctions list very soon.

Interestingly, my reading of Chelsea’s accounts (admittedly from about a year ago, last time I looked) is that they don’t seem to have their own banking arrangements (they appear to use a central treasury function elsewhere in Abramovich’s group of companies and borrow from those other companies). If they haven’t already done so, they’ll need to sort that out pronto or their cash flow will dry up.

Apparently the six trustees have concerns and not keen on this setup according to SSN. Since they effectively are running a charity anf not the club. Rumours Tom Moore’s daughter is interested in taking over.

Apparently the six trustees have concerns and not keen on this setup according to SSN. Since they effectively are running a charity anf not the club. Rumours Tom Moore’s daughter is interested in taking over.
The one under investigation for fraud?

Sounds about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom