• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Club World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogfish

Gone to Redcafe
Time to start this thread. Personally I really want us to win it, it's important that we win and get our name on a trophy we never have before and one that will only grow in importance over time.

It feels like the beginning of the European Cup but this time will soon involve far more than just cup winners. It's been a long time coming but 10 years from South America's best teams will soon regularly be taking on Europe's in what will be the global club trophy, whether we like it or not.

Of course this is only part of the story for us .... with a huge fixture pile-up as well :

December
  • 04/12/2019 20:00 Everton (h)
  • 07/12/2019 15:00 A.F.C. Bournemouth (a)
  • 10/12/2019 17.55 RB Salzburg (a) UCL
  • 14/12/2019 15:00 Watford (h)
  • 17/12/2019 19.45 Aston Villa (a) LC
  • 18/12/2019 17.30 TBD 👎 FIFA CWC : Semi
  • 21/12/2019 --.-- Flamengo (?) 👎 FIFA CWC : Final or 3rd Place Play-off.
  • 26/12/2019 15:00 Leicester City (a)
  • 28/12/2019 15:00 Wolverhampton (h)
January
  • 01/01/2020 15:00 Sheffield United (h)

Echo
The Reds will enter at the semi-final stage of the competition on December 17, with the final and third-place playoff set to take place four days later.
Their opponents are, therefore, yet to be decided with first and second-round matches due to take place on December 11 and 14.
However, there have been results in other tournaments around the world involving teams set to play in the CWC which has in turn outlined everyone who Jurgen Klopp's side will face.

Al-Hilal's victory in AFC Champions League final on Sunday means they take the final spot in the competition with Flamengo confirming their own berth after winning the Copa Libertadores on Saturday.
The win for Al-Hilal means they will enter in the second round of the competition, while Flamengo will join at the semi-final stage alongside Liverpool, though both teams are in separate halves of the competition.

Al Sadd SC’s elimination from the AFC Champions League at the semi-final stage in late October means the Qatari side will enter the Club World Cup in the first round as the host country’s representative.
They host Hienghène Sport from the French Pacific island overseas territory of New Caledonia in the first round of the Club World Cup on December 11 and the winners of that will face Mexican side CF Monterrey with the victors in turn taking on Liverpool in the semi-final on December 18.

The other semi-final will be between Copa Libertadores winners Flamengo and the victors from the other second round tie between the Al-Hilal and ES Tunis of Tunisia on December 17.
Should they win their semi-final, Liverpool will then have the opportunity to become world champions of the club game for the first time in their history on December 21.

December 11
First round
Al Sadd SC v Hienghène Sport (Match 1)
December 14
Second round
CF Monterrey v Match 1 winners (Match 2)
Al-Hilal v ES Tunis (Match 3)
December 17
Fifth-place play-off
Semi-final

Flamengo v Match 3 winners

December 18
Semi-final
Match 2 winners v Liverpool
December 21

Third-place play-off
Final

Absolutely want us to take it seriously and win.

To be world champions as well as European champions will be massive for brand.

And for our local rivals, whether they admit it or not, seeing Henderson loft a trophy high above his head for the third time in 6 months would send a very strong message, leaving a large bulk of English teams beaten before they step on the pitch against us

If we beat Napoli then Id bin off the Red Bull game, obviously the Villa game in the cup will be an u21 team so thats not a concern either. Id be very tempted to play a 2nd string side against Monterey and keep our full team fresh for the final. They are 8th in a league thats not as good as the Championship.

We really should be able to beat Monterey with the likes of Adrian, Gomez, Lovren, Milner, Ox, Keita, Lallana, Brewster, Shaq and Origi coming into the team to take pressure off the first XI. The league is the most important thing and we have 3 tough games in a week when we return.

I wouldnt play anybody who is struggling or carrying a knock even if we made the final.

There's an unusually interestng Blood Red podcast from the Echo's Ian Doyle about the place and the competition. Well worth a listen. The temperature-controlled stadia sound amazing. I assumed we'd be playing in really hot conditions but it sounds as though it will be pretty cool - certainly far cooler than it was in Madrid for the CL final.

Must try and catch that, not least because TBH the whole thing seems to me, as it always has, a meaningless cash cow for FIFA to milk.

Links:

ESPN
Soccerway

Recent results/future fixures

[xtable=skin1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}un{/td}
{td=nowrap}03/11/19{/td}
{td}LIM{/td}
{td}Monterrey{/td}
{td}1 - 1{/td}
{td}Veracruz{/td}
{td}View events{/td}
{td}More info{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Wed{/td}
{td=nowrap}06/11/19{/td}
{td}COM{/td}
{td}Monterrey{/td}
{td}6 - 0{/td}
{td}Cafetaleros d…{/td}
{td}View events{/td}
{td}More info{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sat{/td}
{td=nowrap}09/11/19{/td}
{td}LIM{/td}
{td}Tijuana{/td}
{td}0 - 4{/td}
{td}Monterrey{/td}
{td}View events{/td}
{td}More info{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sun{/td}
{td=nowrap}17/11/19{/td}
{td}CLF{/td}
{td}América{/td}
{td}1 - 2{/td}
{td}Monterrey{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}More info{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sun{/td}
{td=nowrap}24/11/19{/td}
{td}LIM{/td}
{td}Monterrey{/td}
{td}2 - 0{/td}
{td}Atlas{/td}
{td}View events{/td}
{td}More info{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Tue{/td}
{td=nowrap}26/11/19{/td}
{td}LIM{/td}
{td}Santos Laguna{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}Monterrey{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}More info{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Fri{/td}
{td=nowrap}29/11/19{/td}
{td}LIM{/td}
{td}Monterrey{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}Santos Laguna{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}More info{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sat{/td}
{td=nowrap}14/12/19{/td}
{td}FCW{/td}
{td}Monterrey{/td}
{td}17 : 30{/td}
{td}Al Sadd / Hienghène Sport{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
Goal Scorers (League)

[xtable=skin1|cellpadding:0|cellspacing:0]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}1{/td}
{td}Rogelio Funes Mori{/td}
{td}18{/td}
{td}10{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2{/td}
{td}Nicolás Sánchez{/td}
{td}18{/td}
{td}6{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
No-one else has scored more than 2 in the squad

There's a spurs player called Vinny Janssen who is there on loan and has scored several in friendlies and cup games but only 2 in the league

Last edited:
Links:

ESPN
Soccerway

Recent results/future fixures

[xtable=skin1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}un{/td}
{td=nowrap}03/11/19{/td}
{td}LIM{/td}
{td}Monterrey{/td}
{td}1 - 1{/td}
{td}Veracruz{/td}
{td}View events{/td}
{td}More info{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Wed{/td}
{td=nowrap}06/11/19{/td}
{td}COM{/td}
{td}Monterrey{/td}
{td}6 - 0{/td}
{td}Cafetaleros d…{/td}
{td}View events{/td}
{td}More info{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sat{/td}
{td=nowrap}09/11/19{/td}
{td}LIM{/td}
{td}Tijuana{/td}
{td}0 - 4{/td}
{td}Monterrey{/td}
{td}View events{/td}
{td}More info{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sun{/td}
{td=nowrap}17/11/19{/td}
{td}CLF{/td}
{td}América{/td}
{td}1 - 2{/td}
{td}Monterrey{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}More info{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sun{/td}
{td=nowrap}24/11/19{/td}
{td}LIM{/td}
{td}Monterrey{/td}
{td}2 - 0{/td}
{td}Atlas{/td}
{td}View events{/td}
{td}More info{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Tue{/td}
{td=nowrap}26/11/19{/td}
{td}LIM{/td}
{td}Santos Laguna{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}Monterrey{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}More info{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Fri{/td}
{td=nowrap}29/11/19{/td}
{td}LIM{/td}
{td}Monterrey{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}Santos Laguna{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}More info{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sat{/td}
{td=nowrap}14/12/19{/td}
{td}FCW{/td}
{td}Monterrey{/td}
{td}17 : 30{/td}
{td}Al Sadd / Hienghène Sport{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
Goal Scorers (League)

[xtable=skin1|cellpadding:0|cellspacing:0]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}1{/td}
{td}Rogelio Funes Mori{/td}
{td}18{/td}
{td}10{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2{/td}
{td}Nicolás Sánchez{/td}
{td}18{/td}
{td}6{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
No-one else has scored more than 2 in the squad

There's a spurs player called Vinny Janssen who is there on loan and has scored several in friendlies and cup games but only 2 in the league
Vinny?

Yeah it's Vincent Janssen, used to score goals for fun in Holland. For AZ I believe.

I don't even know which continent Monterrey was on.

Well I googled it, and improved my general knowledge as a result. So, this competition isn't entirely useless after all.

We got history with Flamengo, they beat us 3-0 in 1981 final.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom