• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool face Gini Wijnaldum transfer decision as contract ticks down

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Binny

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/foot...verpool-face-gini-wijnaldum-transfer-21223072
[article]Liverpool are weighing up the possibility of letting midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum leave for free.

The Dutchman has 18 months left on his current deal at Anfield, but there has been no talk of an extension.

The Reds have handed out several new deals recently with Jurgen Klopp committing his long-term future to the club.

But Liverpool are yet to make a decision on Wijnaldum with several avenues being explored, reports the Athletic .

The Premier League leaders are open to the idea of offering the 29-year-old a new deal which could see him extend his stay on Merseyside.

Wijnaldum moved from Newcastle for £25m in 2016 and has been a huge part of their upward trajectory since then, so much so that Liverpool feel as if they've got value for money.

They would therefore be happy to retain his services until his contract runs out in the summer of 2021 and let him seek pastures new.

But the midfielder does have several admirers around the continent meaning a potential bidding war could ensue were Liverpool to put the player on the market this summer.

Despite his age he would likely command a fee exceeding the £25m it took to bring him to Anfield.

Wijnaldum has made 166 appearances for the Reds, but their willingness to sell is not to raise funds for potential new signings.

Liverpool have been linked with big money deals for either Jadon Sancho or Kylian Mbappe, but internally they do not feel like they have major gaps in their squad that need filling.

Klopp chose not to make any major need additions in the summer which has paid off with Liverpool clear at the top of the league.

The German may be forced to act if one of his leading lights leaves Anfield with Sadio Mane reportedly a target for Real Madrid .[/article]

Gini will probably sign a new contract soon, but I think he wants guarantees. Like being first choice.

He’s pretty much first choice already when fit. He fabs and Hendo
Exactly. But there can be no guarantees. He needs to fight for his place, same as the others, and TBH, as much as he was angry for being left out of the Barca semi, I don't believe he'd think that he should be a guaranteed starter. Hendo has been visibly pissed off at not starting or being subbed, same as most of them. They should be devastated about not playing.

Ahhh ,silly me - I knew there had to be a reason for his sudden consistency.

Exactly. But there can be no guarantees. He needs to fight for his place, same as the others, and TBH, as much as he was angry for being left out of the Barca semi, I don't believe he'd think that he should be a guaranteed starter. Hendo has been visibly pissed off at not starting or being subbed, same as most of them. They should be devastated about not playing.
It's a difficult one because at times Gini has been our best midfielder especially last season. He just turned 29 in November and this is probably his last big contract, if it's not guarantees he wants it's definitely more money. He's on 75k p/w at the moment, he deserves more considering what Lallana and some others are getting.

Yeah why the fuck do we have Gini and Henderson when we can get DeBruyne?!
Jokes aside, imagine having him in our team, we'd be unstoppable.

Still trying to work out if you are being serious when you say that about one of our players

Haven't been serious since Lucas left

Having said that I think with the nature of the way we play all of our midfielders are more replaceable than any of the other departments. Fitness over technique seems to be the thing.

Haven't been serious since Lucas left

Having said that I think with the nature of the way we play all of our midfielders are more replaceable than any of the other departments. Fitness over technique seems to be the thing.

Klopp at Liverpool does not appear to be a huge fan of too many tippy-tappy bellends in his midfield.

Or indeed, any at all.

Lallana even looked the part yesterday. And that other one who I can't remember the name of.

Still can't quite accept we've no major gaps in the squad when we've got no cover at left back and no decent backup for any of the front 3.

Yeah, could be I suppose. Not totally convinced he fits our forward line tbh but fingers crossed.

He can't be that hard to replace in world football can he surely? It's not like you have to train the new guy to have all sorts of exquisite skills. The new guys to do list would be:
Be physically fit so you can do our press like a mad man for 90mins
Work hard
Pass simple/square every ball
If you shoot make sure it's way off target

He's a part of our team, but it wouldn't exactly be like losing Alisson/Virgil/Trent/Robbo/Mane/Salah/Bobby

He can't be that hard to replace in world football can he surely? It's not like you have to train the new guy to have all sorts of exquisite skills. The new guys to do list would be:
Be physically fit so you can do our press like a mad man for 90mins
Work hard
Pass simple/square every ball
If you shoot make sure it's way off target

He's a part of our team, but it wouldn't exactly be like losing Alisson/Virgil/Trent/Robbo/Mane/Salah/Bobby
You forgot a biggie .... score two superb goals against Barcelona.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom