• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Lucas: Can he do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=keniget link=topic=35133.msg921178#msg921178 date=1249746791]
So it's come to this, eh?

What a fucking shit summer.
[/quote]

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=35133.msg921023#msg921023 date=1249739292]
I do think the booing he's received is an absolute fucking disgrace. I also think that when we watch him we're waiting for him to fuck up, so his poor passes inspire howls, when respect for other players means we indulge their errors, and notice them less. I think I saw a stat that his pass completion percentage was better than any of our midfielders. Whilst it is probably true that more of his passes were safe than the others, it still shows that our memories of his performances are perhaps, somewhat skewed, usually because an image of him being pushed off a 50/50 is burned into our recollections.

If he can fight for the ball, and hold his own physically, I think he has got the attributes to at least be decent for us.
[/quote]

Nail on head Doc.

I do have some hopes this year, he has been quite good in pre-season.

And it's not just desperation at Xabi leaving ;)

1. Physicality (getting shoved off the ball with ease) and 2. Getting caught in possession (and then see point 1) were Lucas's main problems. The second problem is down to adjusting to the pace of the prem, where nobody gets much time on the ball in midfield, indeed, and everybody, even seasoned players, gets caught in possession now and again. Xabi's worst attribute was also getting caught in possession, as if he thought he had all day to pick a pass (although last season I can barely remember it happening to him). Let's see if Lucas can improve in these two areas. If he can, I think most are in agreement that he is a good passer, and is probably inclined to support attacks more often than Xabi was.

I've got my fingers crossed for him, I do like an underdog.

I had a good look at Lucas yesteraday against Athleti. He's a fucking cracking player, we have nothing to worry about. He's so much improved already, he has so much more confidence and authority in his play, he wont let us down.

I like that he doesn't hide.
I like that he tries again and again.
But he just doesn't have enough quality in his game to make it here.

[quote author=KopKing link=topic=35133.msg921377#msg921377 date=1249807167]
I had a good look at Lucas yesteraday against Athleti. He's a fucking cracking player, we have nothing to worry about. He's so much improved already, he has so much more confidence and authority in his play, he wont let us down.
[/quote]
You must be smoking crack if you refer to Lucas as a 'cracking player'.

I'm looking forward to seeing Lucas play. I genuinely don't know how he'll do, but he's certainly working hard to improve and I hope he keeps going. The one who maddens me is Plessis. How he still has any role in the squad is beyond me. He's hopelessly left-footed, he signposts every pass and his attitiude stinks. It's an insult to all other reserves that he's still at the club.

[quote author=KopKing link=topic=35133.msg921377#msg921377 date=1249807167]
[/quote]

lol @ ^

GOALSCORER OUT TO PROVE HIMSELF

Lucas Leiva is determined to carry his excellent summer form into the new Barclays Premier League campaign.
The 22-year-old midfielder capped another shining display with a goal in Liverpool's 2-1 defeat to Atletico Madrid at Anfield on Saturday, leading Rafa Benitez to hail him as the Reds' star of pre-season.

Lucas admits he is satisfied with his recent performance levels - not that he's ready to rest on his laurels.

"Of course I was happy to score against Atletico, although I would rather the team have won the game instead of me getting the goal," the Brazilian told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"But it was good for me to start and end the pre-season well.

"Sometimes I hear things said about me, but to be honest I don't care too much. I only care about the team and the squad.

"Now I have to focus on the forthcoming season and continue to work hard and improve.

"I will try to prove I have the quality to be in the team and hopefully help Liverpool win the title."

First-half goals from Kun Aguero and Diego Forlan condemned Benitez's side to their third defeat of pre-season.

However, while acknowledging there is room for improvement, Lucas is confident Liverpool will be raring to go when they kick-off the new season against Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane next weekend.

"We still have to improve a lot, but we can feel our fitness is getting better," he said.

"Now, some players will go to play internationals, while the others will keep training at Melwood, but we will be ready for the beginning of the season.

"We will be looking to win at Tottenham. We know the first game is very important and we have to start the season well because our title rivals will not make it easy for us."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom