• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match Man City (H) - Sun 15:45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having watched the game highlights on motd and listened to the analysis the obvious outstanding thing is. ……

Shay Given …, crikey
He’s getting paid for this absolute shit of an ‘analysis’…is there a more clueless and partisan twat on tv?

What a useless cunt.

I honestly feel like I must be missing something here, having listened to pundits and even some of our own fans bleating on about whether Doku played the ball first or not - does the high foot rule just not exist anymore?

And if it does exist, how high does a foot have to be??!

I mean sure, I know Macca ain't exactly Peter Crouch, but he's been kicked in the chest - how is that not a high foot? And a high foot is dangerous play, and therefore at the very least a foul - and in this case a penalty, probably a card to boot...

Am I living on a different fucking planet or something? I can't even believe this is a debate

I know, I said the same. It's mad.

Imagine a tired Nunez for that last 20 minutes. imagine danns coming on.

Gakpo is a waste of a shirt when we're under the cosh

Yeah it's getting harder to defend him. I'm struggling to think why you'd possibly want him ahead of Danns right now.

Yeah it's getting harder to defend him. I'm struggling to think why you'd possibly want him ahead of Danns right now.
Mostly because Danns is injured.

I mean, he'd probably still offer more than Gakpo, but don't wanna ruin the kid's career before it's even properly got started...

For perspective - only two of our current team started this game last year. Only four from the game in the fall at their place

Yes we could have won. But we are playing with a team made of cello tape at the moment. It’s fecking the best cellotape around mind.

But for that reason I’m ok with the draw.

As for the peno, feck it. We will get decisions in our favor. That ball off the post from Doku was a massive get of jail card.

Who on this board would have thought we would be joint top with 10 games left. We’re in a great position.

We win the next 10 we win the league. Let’s not forget that

A truly coming of age performance for a number of players. Such a shame Klopp needs a break.

“Liverpool’s 1-1 draw against Arsenal in December was the most-watched Premier League match in U.S. history, with an average of 1.96million viewers across traditional broadcaster NBC, plus its Peacock and NBC Sports digital platforms, along with an additional 328,000 on Spanish-language station Telemundo.“

“Liverpool’s 1-1 draw against Arsenal in December was the most-watched Premier League match in U.S. history, with an average of 1.96million viewers across traditional broadcaster NBC, plus its Peacock and NBC Sports digital platforms, along with an additional 328,000 on Spanish-language station Telemundo.“

I was invited by another dad to see the "big game" but advised they'd be wearing their haaland shirts. He's incredible apparently. His kid is really into him, as of this year.

I told them that it probably would be best if I didn't watch the game with them. Now they have correctly assessed that I don't like them, but they haven't really figured out why. It is just a complete moral failing of theirs, not caring enough.

Last edited:
He's basically the only player who hasn't really stepped up in some way when we've needed him. It's insane when you think of the others, jota putting form together, Nunez blossoming, quansah, Bradley, Endo, macallister god mode, etc. etc.

Diaz isn't playing beyond himself, I've given up on that, but is a massive focus of our play, and works like a fucking dog.

Gakpo is just not finding himself. It's the complete opposite of last season. Doesn't mean we need to hate him though. I think he needs some vices. If he were to hail Satan hed be more useful.

After having had some time to calm down, i can only think of much positives if i'm being honest (obv still feel we were robbed of a penalty but trying my best to be objective)....

2nd half was probably one of the most dominating displays i've seen us play against City in quite awhile.

We make them look very ordinary.

They were pinned back in their half and struggled to get out - something i'd never thought i'd say about the EPL champions. Simply because Endo was a one-man great wall of Japan throughout. Kept City's midfielders in his pocket all day. Rodri ? Hardly heard the commentators mention his name in the 2nd half. KDB was subbed midway cos he was becoming peripheral. Imagine subbing your Stevie G, Jude or Zidane in any match, let alone a title deciding one.

Haaland ? Ha ha. Except for one instance where VDV schooled him, he was largely anonymous. Nunez didn't score, but it's safe to say it's Nunez 1 0 Haaland for now. He was immense btw until he tired.

Some of our passing in the 2nd half made me almost cry with joy. It was like watching the Liverpool of masterful old - pass and move. Simple, effective and devastating. Tiki taka would bow down in full admiration. All that was lacking was the finishing, which was a huge shame cos Diaz played his heart out yesterday. Didn't deserve all the rollicking.

If we had our big guns yesterday, we'd have easily humiliated City.

It's not over. There's still lots to play for this season and knowing us, we'll probably not do it the easy way but the Liverpool Way - full of rollercoaster emotions. I'm fully strapped in for this heck of a ride. #QUAD.

Last edited:
And look at where we are and we still have 5 or so lads coming back into the squad as well. It’s a miracle we are where we are and much of the last few weeks is down to the youff program

On sky they were saying the VAR stated that Doku touched the ball first, which now I’m properly watching wasn’t correct. I wonder if we’ll be told what the rationale was.
But does that even matter? Is it an actual rule that no matter what if you touch the ball first then everything is fine and dandy? We see FKs given every other game when a player touched the ball first but his follow through was considered dangerous. How can a high kick to the chest (Macca wasn't bending over) not be dangerous? It could easily have been his head and his foot should never have been that high.

In addition to being kicked in the chest its studs first and putting your opponent in danger. Its reckless and its 100% a penalty. Its not even a debate and a story were you can see two sides. Its a free kick and a yellow card in all other areas on the pitch. Macca gets the ball first and Doku plants his studs in his chest. Its so obvious a penalty that its insane that VAR doesnt tell Oliver to take a second look. If VAR sends him to the screen I can guarantee that Oliver changes his mind when looking at it again.

Whats the point in having VAR when you cant give the ref a second chance to have a look at that type of incident.

View: https://twitter.com/SamMcGuire90/status/1766909987534536900

View: https://twitter.com/PhilBlundell/status/1766960076500226347
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Just doesn't look interested. Like he would rather be in IKEA picking out some new taps.

He has the same ‘cool’ demeanour as Gravenberch.

The least we should expect from our players is effort.

The second Gakpo came on our pressing from the front died a death. He was also slow to get in position on attacks. There was one where Salah was at the byline and Gakpo was still casually jogging towards the box. That was poor. I think watching Koumas & Danns score recently has damaged his confidence. It’s a shame Danns wasn’t fit enough to be that sub at the end.

First thing I said to my mate on the final whistle was Harvey and Diaz would need carrying into the ice bath. It's why I can't be angry at Diaz for missing. He gave his all, he did his absolute best. If he could add those goals to the way he played he'd be worth a trillion quid.

In addition to being kicked in the chest its studs first and putting your opponent in danger. Its reckless and its 100% a penalty. Its not even a debate and a story were you can see two sides. Its a free kick and a yellow card in all other areas on the pitch. Macca gets the ball first and Doku plants his studs in his chest. Its so obvious a penalty that its insane that VAR doesnt tell Oliver to take a second look. If VAR sends him to the screen I can guarantee that Oliver changes his mind when looking at it again.

Whats the point in having VAR when you cant give the ref a second chance to have a look at that type of incident.
I heard on the radio that Oliver was 'strong' and firmly told VAR he had a clear view of the incident and didn't need to go to the monitor. I don't know where the correspondent got that from.

One thing I don't think has been mentioned yet is the amount of time the defence spent titting around at the edge of the box playing difficult balls to each other. I'm a big fan of Colin eventually wellying it to the halfway line, effective when Nunez attacks the header, less so when Gakpo is stretching into an imaginary mirror - but the point is it's pretty obvious that at some point one of those defensive passes is going to cause a howler, not if but when.

They do that to shift the positions of the City attackers and the midfielders to create passing lanes though. At the start of the game we hoofed it 10/10 times and were chasing the game without any possession.
After we took more control and kept the ball at the back we largely outplayed them. First time this season that a team has the ball more than City in a game I think. 100% the right approach to beating City.
Its a risk you have to take and we did so exceptionally well bar a few hick ups.

I don't mind when there's plenty of space, but it's a numbers game when they've just finished an attack and are pressing high.

Hate to be the maybe you didn't see this on telly guy, but when four of them are all over our penalty area there's usually an obvious chip to an outlet in the space left by their midfield pressing high, and we're hitting it ten yards sideways in dangerous areas instead.

I heard on the radio that Oliver was 'strong' and firmly told VAR he had a clear view of the incident and didn't need to go to the monitor. I don't know where the correspondent got that from.

I don't like conspiracy theories, so help nip it in the bud - Oliver wasn't in referring in UAE for their owners last year, was he?

If they release the audio for this one we'll probably get to hear just how incompetent Oliver is then.

He also didnt send off Kovacic at the Emirates and was the referee when we lost 3-2 to Arsenal with the soft pen given to Jesus and the Gabriel handball that wasnt given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom