• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

New-look England test team

Mersey86

Unknown
When we next line up for a test in June against Sri Lanka, what sort of team do you expect? Obviously June is a long way off and player form will come into it. Maybe Moeen will force his way in based on efforts with the one-day squad. But injuries and form aside, how do you think we'll shape up?

My effort:
Cook
Robson
Root
Bell
Ballance
Stokes
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Kerrigan
Anderson

I'd like Kerrigan to have another go. I think he's the best spinner we have and we don't really need a spinner-batsman. If Kerrigan fails again, try Borthwick or maybe Moeen. I can also see Compton for Robson,Taylor for Balance and Onions for Bresnan.

Moeen's a good all-round player and arguably deserves a batting place already. I definitely think he should be tried at some stage.

Moeen's a good all-round player and arguably deserves a batting place already. I definitely think he should be tried at some stage.

He is in the squad for the tour to the WI it will be interesting to see how he gets on.

I really hope we can add Steve Finn to that side once he regains his mojo. He can bowl 90mph plus, is still only 24 and is the youngest Englishmen to 50 test wickets. I think Priors days are numbered as Buttler is earmarked to replace him as keeper. He's moving to Lancashire specifically to keep wicket and he looked much improved in the one dayers. Hard to get past Onions unless the older players are being discarded, if so Barker from Warwickshire could be worth looking at. After he got taken apart by the Aussies will Kerrigan get another chance.
If not here's a leftfield name for you Zafir Ansari from Surrey. Not ready yet but a fast improving young player with real balls.

Yes - good calls. I'd hate England to take Buttler so soon. Would like Lancashire to get use of him for a while. I agree that Ansari is not ready yet and think Kerrigan should be tried again. One bad test shouldn't be the end for him. Get him back in there.

Yes - good calls. I'd hate England to take Buttler so soon. Would like Lancashire to get use of him for a while. I agree that Ansari is not ready yet and think Kerrigan should be tried again. One bad test shouldn't be the end for him. Get him back in there.

I agree, one more year for Prior for me, with Buttler saved for the onedayers and lots of county cricket. I have a feeling though that he may be dropped into the side ahead of Bairstow with Prior retired.

When we next line up for a test in June against Sri Lanka, what sort of team do you expect? Obviously June is a long way off and player form will come into it. Maybe Moeen will force his way in based on efforts with the one-day squad. But injuries and form aside, how do you think we'll shape up?

My effort:
Cook
Robson
Root
Bell
Ballance
Stokes
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Kerrigan
Anderson

I'd like Kerrigan to have another go. I think he's the best spinner we have and we don't really need a spinner-batsman. If Kerrigan fails again, try Borthwick or maybe Moeen. I can also see Compton for Robson,Taylor for Balance and Onions for Bresnan.

Worth the wait. England test team.

Cook
Compton
Bell
Taylor
Morgan
Stokes
Prior
Borthwick
Broad
Onions
Anderson

It could be anything really, as mentioned, form in the CC should massively come into it.

Onions is well overdue a shot, Taylor just had a 240* odd for the Lions so if it is on pure form then hes put himself in a good position, Ballance needs runs in CC like them all, really would like to see Morgan in there, we need something unorthadox, a bit of x factor, hes a class player , hopefully he can show it in the longer form.

Not convinced Taylor and Comptons faces fit, would be nice to see Compton get another shot, doubt it though unless he scores a bucket load in the CC, wouldn't mind Carberry getting another go either.

Just please no Bairstow and Bresnan, time to move on, same with Root but he won't be getting ditched just yet.

Prior should still have some credit in the bank, spinner fuck knows, Borthwick is the man with the shirt, stick with him i guess unless anyone else sticks out in the CC, agree about Kerrigan having another go at some point though i don't fancy his chances of doing well under Cook.

Cooks handling of Monty and Kerrigan in the last 6/7 months leaves a lot to be desired, he doesn't have any confidence in them, it shows and they know it, obviously can't be a good situation to be in as a player when you know your captain doesn't rate you, Monty is presumably gone now anyway so it doesn't matter with him.

Kerrigan should have gotton a chance to redeem himself in the Aus 2nd innings once Watson was out, gee him up, give him a bit of confidence with some well chosen words and let him have a few overs, something a good captain would do, there was nothing to lose, a wicket would of worked wonders for his confidence short and long term, instead he will always be under a cloud until he gets that chance again, that can't be good for Kerrigan, its shit like this why Cook is a shite captain.

Damn its turning into a rant now.

I'd go:

Cook
Vince (He reminds me very much of Vaughan)
Bell
Morgan (I've got my doubts, but i'd like to see him have another crack at test level)
Root
Stokes
Prior (Buttler has moved to lancs in order to get the full time WK duties, i'd have him as back up)
Rashid (Many people have given up on this lad, but i'm still backing him to make it as a genuine allrounder)
Broad
Anderson
Mills (I love proper fast bowlers and this lad is quick)

Interesting team. I'm not against Rashid or Morgan, but I think its a year too early for Mills, and Vince has failed to impress whenever picked for England 'A'.

Interesting team. I'm not against Rashid or Morgan, but I think its a year too early for Mills, and Vince has failed to impress whenever picked for England 'A'.

I'm sure they will want to get Taylor into the side after his 242 no for England A, especially if he gets some county runs early season.

I like Rashid just what we would need with lower order runs but he's had his problems and didn't take too many wickets last season

Some years back we used to have a mentalist called Rashid on Koptalk and then SCM. It always feels a bit weird to see that name mentioned here.

Trott wants back, that changes things.

Not sure it if will work out tbh, depends how serious his condition is i suppose, also what will happen when Johnson is bowling bouncers at his throat again in 15 months time?

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. If Trott *is* over it - and let's hope he is, particularly for his own sake - he may get a new lease of life and be well up for the fray. The original problem didn't sound as if it was cricket-related anyway, more an excess of homesickness a la Trescothick.

If hes fit enough he must play really - we badly missed a firing Trotty last year. Another name to chuck into the mix is Chris Woakes who has done well on the lions tour with runs and wickets on very flat pitches, maybe vying with Stokes for the all rounders' spot.

I've never really fancied Woakes as a test match player, he just looks to be slightly off the pace with both bat and ball to make it imo.

Back
Top Bottom