• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Next breakout star from the academy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebell

Well-Known
I had high hopes for Polish Matt and James Balagizi but I'm not so sure any more. Polish Matt has decent numbers but i don't think Klopp rates him
Kaide Gordon - injured and light weight, I don't think he has what it takes
Bobby Clark, looks very assured, again I think he is at best only making it to the bench and may be a League Cup game or two
Connor Bradley, I think he has potential, and a better option than Gomez
Young Oakley, unbelievable numbers, I'd like to see him be given games when its a dead rubber game. I think he could be a star, He has a John Aldridge vibe about him.

Ben Doak has already made the first team bench but he isn't really an academy product

Doak and possibly Bradley the only 2 you will ever hear about again. The others that have featured this summer will never be seen again.

Doak. 100%

Not sure anyone else is on the same level....pre-season alone has been a good indicator of this.

If we continue with this 3223 stuff then it's hard to see fullbacks breaking in unless they can adapt which is hard for young players.....have hope for Bradley mainly because of his successful loan but he's 20 now and this season really needs to be the make for him or it could be bust.

Doak. 100%

Not sure anyone else is on the same level....pre-season alone has been a good indicator of this.

If we continue with this 3223 stuff then it's hard to see fullbacks breaking in unless they can adapt which is hard for young players.....have hope for Bradley mainly because of his successful loan but he's 20 now and this season really needs to be the make for him or it could be bust.
He's got plenty of time. Not many 20 year olds break into a Top 4 team. I'd just like to see him given the opportunity whenever we're well ahead. How many subs are permitted on the bench this season? That may be an issue.

Doak, Clark and Bradley.
But Doak is the only one with a real shot of making the match day squad
I like McConnell too. How old is he? He's done well so far. Looks more of a DM (better tackler) than Jones!

I like McConnell too. How old is he? He's done well so far. Looks more of a DM (better tackler) than Jones!
Don't know much about him except that he's more of a attacking midfielder. I doubt that he'd be in the squad if Thiago and Bajcetic were fit.

He's got plenty of time. Not many 20 year olds break into a Top 4 team. I'd just like to see him given the opportunity whenever we're well ahead. How many subs are permitted on the bench this season? That may be an issue.
Yeah 20 years is no age and yes he's got plenty of time.....for him. As did Neco, Ibe, Solanke, Brewster etc. But if he's not at the required level by now we want him to be at and an offer comes in....we've shown we're prepared to let young players go and further their careers at a lower level.

Players trajectories can take off at anytime, look at Mikel San Jose.....only started to take off from 22/23 or even look at Kane.

If he's good enough and Klopp think he's good enough, he'll play. Foden, Rashford, Saka, Sterling, Trent, Alli, Sancho, Bellingham only a few examples of 20 years old or younger who have broken in at top 4 teams.

Yeah 20 years is no age and yes he's got plenty of time.....for him. As did Neco, Ibe, Solanke, Brewster etc. But if he's not at the required level by now we want him to be at and an offer comes in....we've shown we're prepared to let young players go and further their careers at a lower level.

Players trajectories can take off at anytime, look at Mikel San Jose.....only started to take off from 22/23 or even look at Kane.

If he's good enough and Klopp think he's good enough, he'll play. Foden, Rashford, Saka, Sterling, Trent, Alli, Sancho, Bellingham only a few examples of 20 years old or younger who have broken in at top 4 teams.
Now defenders. With the exception of Trent they are all attackers or ACM.

Now defenders. With the exception of Trent they are all attackers or ACM.
Haha Froggy, I shall not give in to your demands so damn chea.......actually yeah go on then, let's see who we got here to pick out.

Reece James.
Would John Stones get a pass? :whistle::whistle:

Can I name others across Europe or are you limiting it down to England only?

There aren't as many young defenders breaking out at top English clubs for sure, whether that's because they're not seen as good enough or whether those clubs just want to buy their way to glory is another discussion. We don't have the money to just go out and spend 100m on Varane or Martinez, or Fofana and Koulibaly or White and Saliba or Dias and Ake anytime we feel like it.....

Haha Froggy, I shall not give in to your demands so damn chea.......actually yeah go on then, let's see who we got here to pick out.

Reece James.
Would John Stones get a pass? :whistle::whistle:

Can I name others across Europe or are you limiting it down to England only?

There aren't as many young defenders breaking out at top English clubs for sure, whether that's because they're not seen as good enough or whether those clubs just want to buy their way to glory is another discussion. We don't have the money to just go out and spend 100m on Varane or Martinez, or Fofana and Koulibaly or White and Saliba or Dias and Ake anytime we feel like it.....
I think it's because we demand a higher standard in the PL and so home grown defenders are only considered good enough after they mature somewhat more, both in terms of physical stature and experience (gained at smaller clubs).

I'm trying not to get hyped by Quansah, but he could be very good indeed.

Doak is the obvious one. He's going to catch out many FBs this year. Final ball needs lots of work but he could be very effective.

Last edited:

I'm trying not to get hyped by Quansah, but he could be very good indeed.

Doak is the obvious one. He's going to catch out many FBs this year. Final ball needs lots of work but he could be very effective.

He does look very good in that clip tbf, his recovery pace looks pretty decent too....got a lot of things going in his favour, size and physical presence which he has and probably is the most important for a CB.

It's a shame he's 21 in 6 months and he only has a handful of games at league 1....if we sent him out earlier a few times he'd also have that much valued experience under his belt.

I think it's because we demand a higher standard in the PL and so home grown defenders are only considered good enough after they mature somewhat more, both in terms of physical stature and experience (gained at smaller clubs).

Yes, pretty much. Young players will always show their inexperience at times. Doesn't matter quite so much with forwards or midfielders. Costly for defenders, especially centre backs.

He does look very good in that clip tbf, his recovery pace looks pretty decent too....got a lot of things going in his favour, size and physical presence which he has and probably is the most important for a CB.

It's a shame he's 21 in 6 months and he only has a handful of games at league 1....if we sent him out earlier a few times he'd also have that much valued experience under his belt.
He needs a loan move to a championship side, needs to prove himself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom