• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Oh Jota night

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do expect people to moan about the final fee, though, when it's announced.

However, it is paid in installments and will be offset by Hoever's sale.

Just all make sure you all follow Gorst on Twitter.

£35M seems about right given age and record, If we get £25M for Origi and £10-15M for Hoever then I can't see the big fuss. Anybody who's seen a Wolves game or two knows he's a threat and he gets into good positions, he's a genuine left side player which we were lacking depth for and he's not even 24.
This is exactly the sort of signing we've been getting great results with in the last few years. If he beds well then he's another first team option rather than a bench option, which as much as I like Divock is what he was.

Edit - Ah, tad more then. I'm guessing upto about £45m with addons? Still market value, and he's not going to be on mega dosh. I bet he takes about £70k a week.

Post up Sarr's numbers if you have it.

I'm guessing he's a 1 in 5 player?

If we sign Jota, it makes perfect sense on so many levels. Michael Edwards and the committee are genuinely killing it.

1) He's not an out and out winger like Sarr, so we're not changing our style.
2) He predominantly plays on the left, meaning we have the option of him covering Mane, or Salah (moving Mane to the right again).
3) Can play CF
4) He scores goals and has a good assist record
5) The right age (before he explodes)
6) Two footed
7) Technical pacey player who knows how to strike a ball from all ranges
8) Speaks very good english unlike Sarr
9) Mature player
10) Used to being rotated in Nuno's set up
11) Can genuinely come in now and challenge the front three.
12) No Afcon worries
Quality post.. deserves every like it gets..

I nothing in the Sarr camp to support his signing over Jota..

Other than he is good mates with mane, and has electric pace..

Career stats

Games Played: 140 Goals and Assists 56

Watford Career: 30 Games, 12 Goals and Assists

He can play anywhere in the front three.. Can score goals and create assists from any position..

However he is strongest position is Right Wing.. Where he has played 62 times in his club carer scoring 18 goals with 16 assists

My impression of Jota* is that he's fast, got a great shot and somewhat explosive.

But not creative, not a team player, shoots when he should pass, and very inconsistent.

*watched him closely after placing him in my fantasy team.

41 mill inc add ons is the rumoured fee

Actually, take out the "inc" and add "plus"...

But maybe the payments are spread over the length of his contract, perhaps. While Watford wanted a bigger chunk of a similar amount up front for Sarr. Maybe.

Also, Hoever going has offset a fair chunk of it. Or maybe it hasn't. Who knows.

Post up Sarr's numbers if you have it.

I'm guessing he's a 1 in 5 player?

If we sign Jota, it makes perfect sense on so many levels. Michael Edwards and the committee are genuinely killing it.

1) He's not an out and out winger like Sarr, so we're not changing our style.
2) He predominantly plays on the left, meaning we have the option of him covering Mane, or Salah (moving Mane to the right again).
3) Can play CF
4) He scores goals and has a good assist record
5) The right age (before he explodes)
6) Two footed
7) Technical pacey player who knows how to strike a ball from all ranges
8) Speaks very good english unlike Sarr
9) Mature player
10) Used to being rotated in Nuno's set up
11) Can genuinely come in now and challenge the front three.
12) No Afcon worries

Was just looking at it before bed when the first Jota rumours surfaced – it just felt like this instantly makes sense. People sometimes automatically think of Sarr as a Sadio clone, based on them being from the same country. But like I wrote in the Sarr thread, they are actually quite different – Sarr is more of a winger than a wing-forward. Sarr has 29 goals in 140 games – 1 in 5, like you say, and a similar number of assists. Jota's numbers are a lot closer to Mane's pre-Liverpool: 44 goals in 131 games or 1 in 3. He already has 3 hat-tricks to his name, in comparison to Sarr who has scored more 2 goals in a game only twice in his career – against us and FC Asatana from Kazakhstan.

Jota probably won't be able to replicate the physical aspect of Mane's game, the winger who destroys his opposing full-back over 90 minutes and is able to be an outlet and progress the ball up the pitch regardless of pressure – this is where Sarr would have been useful. But in terms of stepping in for anyone in our front 3 and delivering comparable attacking output, level of intelligent interplay with teammates (this is where Origi is lacking), energy and work-rate, he seems like a perfect fit. And at 23 he's just the right age to take the next step and become more consistent at a higher level.

Last edited:
Was just looking at it before bed when the first Jota rumours surfaced – it just felt like this instantly makes sense. People sometimes automatically think of Sarr as a Sadio clone, based on them being from the same country. But like I wrote in the Sarr thread, they are actually quite different – Sarr is more of a winger than a wing-forward. Sarr has 29 goals in 140 games – 1 in 5, like you say, and a similar number of assists. Jota's numbers are a lot closer to Mane's pre-Liverpool: 44 goals in 131 games or 1 in 3. He already has 3 hat-tricks to his name, in comparison to Sarr who has scored more 2 goals in a game only twice in his career – against us and FC Asatana from Kazakhstan.

Jota probably won't be able to replace the physical aspect of Mane's game, the winger who destroys his opposing full-back over 90 minutes and is able to be an outlet and progress up the pitch regardless of pressure – this is where Sarr would have been useful. But in terms of stepping in for anyone in our front 3 and delivering similar attacking output, level of intelligent interplay with teammates (this is where Origi is lacking), energy and work-rate, he seems like a perfect fit.

Talking about goals, had a quick check. If (yes, big IF but at least shows that he got into those favourable positions/situations) he finished off those big chances and didn't hit the woodwork, that'll be 40 goals in 67 appearances.
jota.jpg

Not that I have seen much of him, but he has always seemed lively. Great alternative to Divock.

I do expect people to moan about the final fee, though, when it's announced.

Given it's a sort of a player + cash deal, even though it's officially not structured that way, I would expect that both Hoever and Jota are overvalued for accounting reasons. I think we'll be seeing a lot more of these type of deals as long as UEFA doesn't mind.

Jota probably won't be able to replicate the physical aspect of Mane's game, the winger who destroys his opposing full-back over 90 minutes and is able to be an outlet and progress the ball up the pitch regardless of pressure – this is where Sarr would have been useful. But in terms of stepping in for anyone in our front 3 and delivering comparable attacking output, level of intelligent interplay with teammates (this is where Origi is lacking), energy and work-rate, he seems like a perfect fit. And at 23 he's just the right age to take the next step and become more consistent at a higher level.

100% and don't get me wrong. I wouldn't mind if we signed Sarr to replace Origi (he can be the new long term "project" in our squad).

But he's not a good replacement for Mane and Salah. He barely scores and isn't on the same level technically or mentally.

Jota has the technical and mental attributes required. What he lacks is that raw physicality you speak of, but he's still very sharp over a distance and will allows us to use him as an outlet because technically he's very good.

The Jiminez goal against Spurs and his goals against United/Everton/Leicester on the counter, shows that he has this ability (to carry the ball and be an outlet), albeit, not to the same level as our current front 2.

This is odd. Bit I like better when a signing just arrives without weeks of speculation.

He has looked good when I saw him but I thought he was a bit too much of a workman and not explosive enough for us. Looking forward to being proven wrong.

Given it's a sort of a player + cash deal, even though it's officially not structured that way, I would expect that both Hoever and Jota are overvalued for accounting reasons. I think we'll be seeing a lot more of these type of deals as long as UEFA doesn't mind.

100%. No way we get 10 million-plus for Hoever, otherwise. I have liked him when he played against us but for the money, I am a wee bit underwhelmed by the transfer.

Having said that, I was slightly underwhelmed for the money paid when we bought Mane and Salah and terribly excited for Mark Gonzales. Hope my transfer success prediction strike rate continues.

100%. No way we get 10 million-plus for Hoever, otherwise. I have liked him when he played against us but for the money, I am a wee bit underwhelmed by the transfer.

Having said that, I was slightly underwhelmed for the money paid when we bought Mane and Salah and terribly excited for Mark Gonzales. Hope my transfer success prediction strike rate continues.

I guess we wanted a rotation player and nobody is cheap these days.

I know what you mean - I was hoping for a future superstar type signing - but as everyone says this makes a lot of sense on paper. Hope it translates on the pitch and he can improve under Klopp like others.

I’m just happy we’ve got someone other than Origi to bring off the bench now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom