• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Other games thread 30/4 to 4/5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking through BBC and some suggesting it’s a candidate for best two legged tie / best semi final ever?

It’ll definitely go down as a classic… what do you guys think? How does it rank?

All i know is that city will be remembered for blowing it and we will be remembered for winning it.

If Carlsberg did football weeks…if we now smash spurs 8-0, snap Kane’s tongue and City drop points this weekend, I never need watch another week of football ever again.

Looking through BBC and some suggesting it’s a candidate for best two legged tie / best semi final ever?

It’ll definitely go down as a classic… what do you guys think? How does it rank?

Yeah, it reminded me of that Man United-Real Madrid 1/4 final that also had crazy goals and twists, but this was somehow more serious and overall better quality and balance. Can't think of a better semi-final in the CL years, not involving Liverpool.

From the beeb

Carlo Ancelotti has become the first manager to reach five Champions League finals (Marcello Lippi and Alex Ferguson next on four).

Oooh they did Klopp dirty.

Yeah.

Could only be beaten by a hypotherical scenario like an up and coming european team getting whacked 3-0 in the first leg by one of european royalty with the greatest player of all time in their ranks, and then turning it around, with a depleted team, winning the return leg 4-0.

That would never happen though, so kudos to City for having the best semi final ever.... and fucking losing.

Yeah.

Could only be beaten by a hypotherical scenario like an up and coming european team getting whacked 3-0 in the first leg by one of european royalty with the greatest player of all time in their ranks, and then turning it around, with a depleted team, winning the return leg 4-0.

That would never happen though, so kudos to City for having the best semi final ever.... and fucking losing.

We were never an up an coming European team, we were in the fucking final the season before. We are never an up and coming European team, we are part of that European Royalty. But yeah that cannot be the best semi-final ever, can it, I think that same season - Spurs had brilliant games in the Quarter against City, and then a miracle game of their own against Ajax in the Semi-final with that Lucas Moura hatrick.

Not to jump ahead all the way to the end of May, but just some thoughts on Real Madrid while the game is still fresh in my mind:
  • Vinicius Jr. will beat Trent at will, so the key position will actually be Matip at RCB (definitely preferable to Konate for that reason) getting his timing and distance absolutely spot on every single time to swoop in/block the run. No need to change the way Trent plays because of Vinicius – we will need his contribution at the other end. Fabinho would need to be ready to drop in at CB whenever Matip is drawn to the right.
  • Kroos and Modric can only last for 60-70 minutes max at the level of intensity the likes of City or ourselves will offer – I would be surprised is either of them is on the pitch in the decisive last minutes of the final.
  • Fede Valverde is an Uruguayan Jordan Henderson of 5-7 years ago – his energy is the key ingredient in that aging midfield. The downside of playing him alongside Casemiro, Modric and Kroos is that it only leaves room for 2 genuine attackers and therefore Benzema can be isolated. If we can control the Vinicius threat and don't do anything stupid against the wily old Kareem, Real actually doesn't have much else to threaten with in attack in their first-choice 11.
  • Ancelotti will try to time the introduction of Camavinga to the moment the game loses shape and becomes stretched – this is where he's at his best, able to take the ball with his long strides from one penalty area to the other, run all the way back to defend and then do it all over again. In a structured game, he's far less useful.
  • Rodrygo has those Solskjaer/Origi vibes – not sure how to stop this, but we have to be very aware of what he can do.
  • Courtois is an incredible goalkeeper having possibly the best season of his career. He's a real match-winner and we would need a clear-cut chance or luck to beat him. Him and Alisson are probably the two best in the world this season and it's no coincidence they meet in the final.
  • Overall, Ancelotti has a large variety of tools in his toolbox in this Real Madrid team – there is a whole array of sparingly used attacking midfielders like Ascencio, Isco (remember him?), Dani Carvajal etc who can try to find a way against a defensive block if they need a goal in the last 15 minutes, they have Camavinga the ball-carrier, Valverde the energizer, Modric the genius old head, Rodrygo the super-sub, etc... They don't have a clear way of playing like City or Bayern, but that makes them almost more dangerous – and like a movie villain, you have to kill them again and again because they keep rising up and coming from an unexpected angle. And it's like fighting inside a house of mirrors, because there is no single "Real Madrid" to prepare for – every segment of the game they will show a different face. It will be a fascinating final, one for the ages.

Last edited:
Not to jump ahead all the way to the end of May, but just some thoughts on Real Madrid while the game is still fresh in my mind:
  • Vinicius Jr. will beat Trent at will, so the key position will actually be Matip at RCB (definitely preferable to Konate for that reason) getting his timing and distance absolutely spot on every single time to swoop in/block the run. No need to change the way Trent plays because of Vinicius – we will need his contribution at the other end. Fabinho would need to be ready to drop in at CB whenever Matip is drawn to the right.
  • Kroos and Modric can only last for 60-70 minutes max at the level of intensity the likes of City or ourselves will offer – I would be surprised is either of them is on the pitch in the decisive last minutes of the final.
  • Fede Valverde is an Uruguayan Jordan Henderson of 5-7 years ago – his energy is the key ingredient in that aging midfield. The downside of playing him alongside Casemiro, Modric and Kroos is that it only leaves room for 2 genuine attackers and therefore Benzema can be isolated. If we can control the Vinicius threat and don't do anything stupid against the wily old Kareem, Real actually doesn't have much else to threaten with in attack in their first-choice 11.
  • Ancelotti will try to time the introduction of Camavinga to the moment the game loses shape and becomes stretched – this is where he's at his best, able to take the ball with his long strides from one penalty area to the other, run all the way back to defend and then do it all over again. In a structured game, he's far less useful.
  • Rodrygo has those Solskjaer/Origi vibes – not sure how to stop this, but we have to be very aware of what he can do.
  • Courtois is an incredible goalkeeper having possibly the best season of his career. He's a real match-winner and we would need a clear-cut chance or luck to beat him.
  • Overall, Ancelotti has a large variety of tools in his toolbox in this Real Madrid team – there is a whole array of attacking midfielders like Ascencio, Isco (remember him?), Dani Carvajal etc who can try to find a way against a defensive block if they need a goal in the last 15 minutes, they have Camavinga the ball-carrier, Valverde the energizer, Modric the genius old head, Rodrygo the super-sub, etc... They don't have a clear way of playing like City or Bayern, but that makes them almost more dangerous – and like a movie villain, you have to kill them again and again because they keep rising up and coming from an unexpected angle. It will be a fascinating final, one for the ages.

All of this and we have to hope we have a decent referee assigned to the game to ensure we're not subject to more Real Madrid (Ramos-eque) shitehousery.

Even today, as much as I dislike City, have to admit they were somewhat cheated out of many decisions.

How the ref never gave Casemeiro a card is beggars belief!

And then only 3mins of injury time, despite all of Milatao's timewasting (which lasted about 4mins).

Then to add insult to injury, he blows up 10 seconds early! If I was a bluefumer I'd call it a UEFA-conspiracy against Citeh.

But really, these decisions are just the sort that always go for Madrid.

In 2018, Ramos should have seen 2 yellows for the foul on Salah and then the elbow on Karius, but Madrid have this sort absurd privilege to get away with shite in the CL.

All of this and we have to hope we have a decent referee assigned to the game to ensure we're not subject to more Real Madrid (Ramos-eque) shitehousery.

Even today, as much as I dislike City, have to admit they were somewhat cheated out of many decisions.

How the ref never gave Casemeiro a card is beggars belief!

And then only 3mins of injury time, despite all of Milatao's timewasting (which lasted about 4mins).

Then to add insult to injury, he blows up 10 seconds early! If I was a bluefumer I'd call it a UEFA-conspiracy against Citeh.

But really, these decisions are just the sort that always go for Madrid.

In 2018, Ramos should have seen 2 yellows for the foul on Salah and then the elbow on Karius, but Madrid have this sort absurd privilege to get away with shite in the CL.

Yeah, that could be a factor too. We almost have bake it into the expectations and not lose our heads when shit like that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom