• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Our Rivals' summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you reckon they can make up 26 points on us and have an incredible improvement on losing 13 games last season ? Or we will drop off so much from losing 1 game and keeping the same team but with more squad support this time?

Well we don't start this season with those points. We all start on zero. I don't expect us to get 97 points again. 80s maybe. Let's be honest, there were games where we got a couple of fortunate last minute winners. Can't rely on that again. And we don't have more squad support, that's kinda my point?

Spurs have strengthened and look like they're keeping hold of a couple of strong players who looked set to leave. They won't lose that many games again.

I'd say it'll be a LOT closer between us two this season, and I think with our thin squad and extra games, Spurs will edge us in the league. City to run away with it.

So in other words the same as last season ... when we finished 1 point off the top with 1 defeat and 97 points ?

All it takes is one of the front 3 to be out for a few games and we're relying on Origi or Brewster. An injury to Trent or Robbo and fuck knows who fills in there, but it will seriously hamstring us.

Midfield I'm not too worried about because I expect Keita to be fitter and better, but you just don't know.

But as I said, extra games, threadbare squad, bit of an anomaly of a season (I don't want to say fluke because it sounds undeserved) and I think we're playing with fire.

Back to your 26 points thing. Something just came to me. We made 25 points on City in one year. Why couldn't Spurs do the ssme to us? They've added well, and clearly have a good side. I don't think overall we're 26 points better than them. The teams are a lot closer than that. Just look at the 3 games against them last season.

The chasing pack are certainly trying to close the gap.

A couple of big injuries and we’ll be goosed.

Dybala not going to Spurs is good though. Though I've never seen him play, he is highly rated.

People asking how Spurs are going to make up the 26 points on us, are the same as city fans who were asking last year how we were going to make up 25 points on them.

It can happen. Its a new season.

People asking how Spurs are going to make up the 26 points on us, are the same as city fans who were asking last year how we were going to make up 25 points on them.

Yep.

I like how you think any of those bar Citeh are a rival. We'll snot the shit out of them all.

Two years ago, City fans didn't see us as a rival in the league.
New season and bar Manure, any of those clubs can do what we did this past year.

They've signed 3 really good players - and if they find a way to get Dybala, you cannot tell me it's 'improved a bit'.

and that compares to us? So basically, they improved (as Canelo > Danilo) and Rodri is class ...

Let's be honest, every team has improved by adding talent ... we haven't as of yet.

Have we improved though? Sure - experience, Ox, Keita, Shaq, Lallana etc but as you say, we needed a LB back up and a player to give Salah/Mane a rest ...

They’re not getting Dybala

The same people should also think its a new season regarding us beating City to the title.

Why are people so optimistic about other teams new signings working out?

Anyone of them can do a Keita.

Sure they've all (bar Chelsea) made more signings than us.

But when you look at it in depth I'd say only Utd have improved.

Arsenal haven't addressed their problems, I don't think Tierney is better than Kolasinac personally...

I know City spent big on Rodri and Cancelo over Fernandinho and Walker but I see that as more like for like than upgrading....very difficult to make that City side stronger anyway.

Chelsea are in a transition period, best player gone and now new manage so will have to adapt to new style of play.

If Spurs manage to keep all their players (again) then they'd have improved slightly too.....all that changes if someone sign Eriksen.. Really like N'dombele and he'll play a big part for them this season.

So in other words the same as last season ... when we finished 1 point off the top with 1 defeat and 97 points ?

No. The same as last season minus luck = mid to low 80's in points.

Take a look at the advanced metrics

The same people should also think its a new season regarding us beating City to the title.

I think we can.

Alright we haven't bought anyone. We are the same team as last year, who were good enough to win a European Cup. So thats OK with me, even though I would have liked to see another attacking option. I think we are massively gambling on Mane and Salah staying fit for the whole season. When those two arent there, the quality drop off is evident.

But I don't think City have improved either. I dont know anything about the CM they bought. Fernandinho is a year older and his legs are on the way out. Same with Aguero, he looked like he was on a downturn last year, he's not the player he was. And Kompany has gone. The only plus for them is that De Bruyne is fit again (but for how long).

I do think we have to worry about Spurs though. They have bought well and were a pretty good team last season already. They wont be 26 points behind us this year. They are a danger.

I think we can.

Alright we haven't bought anyone. We are the same team as last year, who were good enough to win a European Cup. So thats OK with me, even though I would have liked to see another attacking option. I think we are massively gambling on Mane and Salah staying fit for the whole season. When those two arent there, the quality drop off is evident.

But I don't think City have improved either. I dont know anything about the CM they bought. Fernandinho is a year older and his legs are on the way out. Same with Aguero, he looked like he was on a downturn last year, he's not the player he was. And Kompany has gone. The only plus for them is that De Bruyne is fit again (but for how long).

I do think we have to worry about Spurs though. They have bought well and were a pretty good team last season already. They wont be 26 points behind us this year. They are a danger.

Agreed re City, but not sure about Spurs. If Eriksen leaves then thats a blow for them.

Not one of them has improved to be better than us.

That's not how football works. Our rivals collectively had a 3% chance of beating us last year, which resulted in one loss. Nobody is saying they need a collective 51% chance, that's beside the point. The point is their improvement and our stagnation gives them a 9% chance this time, which will now result in three losses, thus ending our title hopes.

That's not how football works. Our rivals collectively had a 3% chance of beating us last year, which resulted in one loss. Nobody is saying they need a collective 51% chance, that's beside the point. The point is their improvement and our stagnation gives them a 9% chance this time, which will now result in three losses, thus ending our title hopes.

We have not stagnated. If we finish 5th or something this season then we have. Right now we have the most coveted squad in Europe, the best manager we could possibly have, and are coming off the back of a record points haul and number 6.
Fuck the doomsayers.

We have not stagnated. If we finish 5th or something this season then we have. Right now we have the most coveted squad in Europe, the best manager we could possibly have, and are coming off the back of a record points haul and number 6.
Fuck the doomsayers.

I mean the squad has stagnated because it's the same as last year, aside from a couple of extra teenagers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom