• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Top 4 Rivals : Transfers and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogfish

Gone to Redcafe
United
I'm fascinated by what is happening at United - the churn is going to be huge, though I can't see a major shift in 1st XI quality happening. A fight for 4th - 6th still on the cards with such a turnover.

Pogba, Cavani, Matic, Mata, Grant and Lingard have all gone already. Greenwood absent for obvious reasons. What of v.d. Beek? Will his fellow Dutchman integrate him into his new look midfield?
Queries over these players potentially departing : Rashford, Mata, Telles, Diallo, Williams, Jones, Henderson, Martial, Wan-Bissaka, Pereira,Tuanzebe and Bailly with Shaw & Fred's contracts expiring next season so could also be sold for funds. They could have up to 12 players leaving (7 down from last season's starting squad already). I expect at the very least another 4-5 of them to be sold to generate funds.

There could be 7-8 inbound this Summer but rumours are only £120m plus sales has been made available and it seems De Jong at £50m is a big target. Timber (CB Ajax) & Malacia (LB Feyenoord) both look like sure signings. Nunez, Lewandowski, Gnabry, Tchouameni, Ekitike, Gvardiol, Dembele, Bellingham, Bastoni, neves, Spence, Nkunku, P Torres, Kante, are all in the rumour mill. The Mount rumours are bollocks - as if Chelsea would sell him and certainly not to United !

City
Haaland in but it will be interesting to see how that changes their setup / style of play. It's been a long time since they had a true CF, even Aguero wasn't this type of CF, a pure striker as opposed to a player that could integrate the midfield. Since they will lose a midfielder their chance creation could drop off even if goals per chance increases. It may not even make a difference in actual goals scored but weaken the midfield control? Or is that purely wishful thinking?
City are looking at CM and LB options too, a replacement for Fernandinho a near certainty.

Chelsea
I thought with the sale and potential debt that there would be little improvement and just CB transfers to cover the outbound Rudiger (massive loss), Christenson, Alonso (to Barca) and the aging Silva (38 in Sept.). However it seems that the new owners are giving them a £200m kitty.

I read Loftus-Cheek was looking at a move to Italy and Niguez will surely leave. Potentially Azpilicueta too. Drinkwater, Barclay, Lukaku to return to Inter (at a massive loss)? Kante to leave as he's in the last year of his contract (but why)? Werner and Pulisic also mentioned as possible departures.

Kounde inbound is a high probability. Declan Rice and Tchouameni potential signings with that budget. Lewandowski, Dembele and Neymar, Kimpembe, Josko Gvardiol, Jose Giminez and Marc Cucurella also mentioned.

Spurs
Perisic - I don't see what that is bringing bar a little squad depth. Certainly not an improvement to the first team.
As for the rest, meh it won't matter.

United will be miles off the pace for years.

Spurs have 150m to spend this summer and have recruited well under Conte. If they sign 3 or 4 quality players then I'd expect them to stay in the top four more comfortably next year.

Haaland will have to adjust to playing against the low block every single week. His outright pace will be largely irrelevant for much of time at City. He still has everything required to do well, so I suspect we'll have to pray for an injury curse. Not looking forward to seeing his goofy weird head each week. City will need a new DM.

Chelsea will be interesting. Their new owner will likely go on a splurge to get fans on board before tightening the purse strings. Lukaku seems likely to jump back on his transfer merry go round and I get the impression Tuchel would drive him to Milan. How he restructures the attack to get the best of Havertz and Werner and any new addition will be important.

I don't see any changes to the top four next season. Conte, Klopp, Tuchel and Pep are the four best managers with the biggest budgets. I'd expect the gap to widen to fifth and sixth.

Haaland isn’t the only not forward City have signed.

City are also after Kalvin Phillips and Cucurella.

That Timber lad doesnt look like a typical CB for the Premier League. Not sure about that one.

I think he was Argentinian? They were spunking everywhere last week as he bagged six goals against the Argentinian equivalent of Eastleigh.
Wasn't it in a copa Libertadores group game against a Peruvian side. They won 8-1. Has also got 8 in 12 league games so seems decent

Wasn't it in a copa Libertadores group game against a Peruvian side. They won 8-1. Has also got 8 in 12 league games so seems decent
Hope he's a weird underwhelming signing, but it would be funny if he was good and the Norwegian gack is shit. If they're both good that'll be sad.

Not sure if this is the right thread for it but I was just wondering earlier about this player.

What do you all think of Christian Eriksen ? I wouldn’t mind letting Keita go, move Milner into coaching and get Christian and Keita’s replacement in.

Not sure if this is the right thread for it but I was just wondering earlier about this player.

What do you all think of Christian Eriksen ? I wouldn’t mind letting Keita go, move Milner into coaching and get Christian and Keita’s replacement in.
The club are talking about giving him a new contract whilst SCM keep going on about implausible scenarios that simply won't ever come to pass. Time to suck it up.

Spurs have 150m to spend this summer and have recruited well under Conte. If they sign 3 or 4 quality players then I'd expect them to stay in the top four more comfortably next year.

Conte managed to get Kulusevski to perform and Perisic looks like as smart signing. They're linked with Bastoni too.

[article]Conte has always favoured attacking wing-backs and has a long history of converting wingers into this position, mainly because their ability to get forward and deliver crosses – providing all the width and most of the verticality within his 3-4-2-1 formation – is a more difficult skill than the defensive side.

It is therefore easier to train a winger to do the dirty work than it is to train a full-back to improve their attacking output.

Perisic is Conte’s biggest achievement in this regard and the results have continued through the 2021/22 season. He is now one of the most creative and attacking wing-backs in Europe.

5f528bd6-54d7-4d92-b561-13096efa5aa8.jpg

From a high starting position, and regularly bearing down on goal with runs attacking the post, Perisic amassed eight goals and seven assists in 35 Serie A games last season. The under-lying statistics make for even better reading:

Compared to all defenders across Europe over the last 365 days, FBRef ranks Perisic in the 99th percentile for non-penalty xG, the 99th percentile for shots, the 99th percentile for xA, the 99th percentile for touches in the opposition penalty area, and the 96th percentile for progressive passes received.

Perisic loves to run at defenders before cutting inside to shoot, ranking second among Serie A defenders for total shots (45) in 2021/22 and fourth among defenders for carries into the final third (67).

But most impressive is his creativity, either by crossing (he completed the second-most from open play into the box, with 29) or a clever threaded pass (he was eighth for completed open-play passes into the box, with 61).

He also had the 11th most touches in the attacking third in the division; Conte is signing an extremely advanced wing-back, one ready to throw himself into the final third like no current Spurs wing-back can.

Either as an attacking substitution from the bench or as a starter, Perisic can give Spurs the extra venom and directness they have craved.

Too often they seem a little flat or sideways in possession, struggling to implement Conte’s lower block without sacrificing creativity primarily because they have lacked penetrative runners in the wide areas to break a game open.

Clearly Perisic changes all that, and it is more than simply an added bonus that Perisic comes with so much experience.

Perisic has won the Champions League and three league titles, the most recent coming under the Spurs manager. Conte and Perisic work well together. Each will lift the other.

But as important for Tottenham supporters is what this says about the club’s transfer policy and the battle for power between Conte and Levy.[/article]

/I was speaking to my father in law about what Chelsea need to rebuild, and he thinks they'll go all out for a marquee forward. I told him I hope they do, as they have countless other areas of the pitch that need huge investment before they should consider a forward.

I don't think their new owner is going to spend huge amounts on individual players, as the squad needs a decent overhaul. Add in the fact he's an American businessman.

I don't think there are 'big losses' for them anymore - they can replace with great efficiency and have a system which will work 99/100 in getting results.
Because of the players they have not the system. We would have won the PL has they not had Gundogan last season.

I don't think there are 'big losses' for them anymore - they can replace with great efficiency and have a system which will work 99/100 in getting results.

Think they’ll miss the leaders like Gundogan and Fernandinho. Can you see Grealish and Foden stepping up as vocal points in that group?

I don't know mate ... I wish it were that simple, but his goals would have come from someone else.
Of course all speculation but let's not forget they removed Bernardo Silva who, after a brilliant season, was having a crap game vs Villa. They really have no-one else that could have come on and done what Gundogan did. Even the City players themselves waxed lyrical about his performance and the difference he made. I think they'll really miss him if he goes (and I pray he does) !

Think they’ll miss the leaders like Gundogan and Fernandinho. Can you see Grealish and Foden stepping up as vocal points in that group?
It really depends who they'll replace them with. For sure Gundogan, Jesus (who'll likely leave now - Haaland replacing him of course) and Fernandinho will be replaced but their influence won't be easy to replicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom