• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Our Signings - how do they make you feel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people need to look at it a bit more objectively. We wanted Remy and it fell through for whatever reasons, but we clearly identified a striker who would give us a chunk of the goals we were missing. People are acting like we've had no ideas as back up. Signings DO take time, they DO go down to the wire, not just for us but for most of the Premiership. If we've decided that an additional striker was necessary, then you can bet we'll still be looking for one. Rodgers plays the media well, if he said we were going all out for a big player and we failed, we'd get it from all corners.

On any other year, we'd be having a very good window, we've been more active than anyone else. We've signed strength in depth (Can, Lambert), first team quality (Lallana, Lovren), a starlet (Markovic) and one for the future (Origi). Suso and Ibe look ready to step up and add further depth to the squad. So we're not without promise in what we've already got, we just need to be patient. Remy was, as said, a shrewd option that would have come in on the cheap to do a job for a couple of seasons, which was obviously ideal in the absence of a real World Class target, I can understand why Rodgers doesn't want to throw money at someone like, Benzema, just because we can. We'll end up tied to an expensive deal for someone who's not really worth it over the longhaul.

There's the whole knock on effect of contracts aswell, if we start reverting to handing out big deals, we have alot of players on our hands who in a season or two might be looking to put pressure on to be paid on a par. I'm not saying we shouldn't be ambitious or pay big wages, but only for the right players, not for the sake of hamfistedly filling a void.

With Remy signing I was upbeat. That some disease ko'd his signing, we need a pick me up. Reus would be nice.

You know that feeling when you fart and you think you've shit yourself, in fact there was definitely lumps but you get up and get to the bog dead quick and there's no shit in your gruds - you only have to wipe your arse and take an imodium? That's how these signings make me feel.

Mild relief while acknowledging the problem ain't fixed.

Pre-season Can is settling one of my biggest concerns about our new signings. To be honest, without the drive and huge hunger (maybe not the best word!) of Suarez, I think we will experience a drop in quality and results this season, but I believe that to be almost inevitable. How much can Brendan and his new signings limit that? We'll see. I'd like one top-level new attacking player to feel more confident. Reus seems to me to be the most likely to pull us up that extra notch.

You know that feeling when you fart and you think you've shit yourself, in fact there was definitely lumps but you get up and get to the bog dead quick and there's no shit in your gruds - you only have to wipe your arse and take an imodium? That's how these signings make me feel.

Mild relief while acknowledging the problem ain't fixed.

Congratulations your post made me do one of those mid laugh snorts.

I think people need to look at it a bit more objectively. We wanted Remy and it fell through for whatever reasons, but we clearly identified a striker who would give us a chunk of the goals we were missing. People are acting like we've had no ideas as back up. Signings DO take time, they DO go down to the wire, not just for us but for most of the Premiership. If we've decided that an additional striker was necessary, then you can bet we'll still be looking for one. Rodgers plays the media well, if he said we were going all out for a big player and we failed, we'd get it from all corners.

On any other year, we'd be having a very good window, we've been more active than anyone else. We've signed strength in depth (Can, Lambert), first team quality (Lallana, Lovren), a starlet (Markovic) and one for the future (Origi). Suso and Ibe look ready to step up and add further depth to the squad. So we're not without promise in what we've already got, we just need to be patient. Remy was, as said, a shrewd option that would have come in on the cheap to do a job for a couple of seasons, which was obviously ideal in the absence of a real World Class target, I can understand why Rodgers doesn't want to throw money at someone like, Benzema, just because we can. We'll end up tied to an expensive deal for someone who's not really worth it over the longhaul.

There's the whole knock on effect of contracts aswell, if we start reverting to handing out big deals, we have alot of players on our hands who in a season or two might be looking to put pressure on to be paid on a par. I'm not saying we shouldn't be ambitious or pay big wages, but only for the right players, not for the sake of hamfistedly filling a void.

However, we've lost our best player and talisman who transformed us from being a decent team to title contenders. There's a gaping drop in class in our final third and Remy wouldn't have filled that void. Strength in depth was badly needed, but team will relish playing us more this season than they did with Suarez. That's why we need a top forward/attacker because if you take Sturridge out (and he's got to prove he can continue his form beyond last season and prove he can handle the pressure of being the main man) then our goal threat is pretty limited. So far, we're counting on several players from mid table teams who are obviously decent players without necessarily recognised as being particularly outstanding talents, to elevate us to the title and replace the void left by one of the best players in the world. We definitely need at least one more player who guarantees goals and until we get that, it's hard not to be hesitant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom