• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post Match - Napoli (H)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, read somewhere that it was up to 6 weeks, but that he's already ahead of schedule.

Had a dream last night that the game finished 2-3. They scored 3 in injury time. Horrible dream, took a few minutes once I woke up to remember what actually happened.

It's Xmas, we're top of the league without losing a game, and we've qualified for the next stage of the CL, which isn't until next spring anyway. Doesn't get any better does it?

Napoli got what they deserved: the square root of fuck all. We had so many chances that the biggest annoyance was the fact we should have been laughing our tits off for the last 10 minutes at 5-0 up, rather than chewing our hands off waiting for the inevitable chance for them. It duly came, and Alisson duly fucked it right off. Boss.

Alisson (9) One of those "defining moments". The Beardy Wall was ready for it, and made a huge, point-blank reaction save. OK, it may have been almost straight at him, but the fucker's so massive you could aim the ball anywhere and it would still be "straight at him". One divvy pass aside, he was immaculate.

Virgil (9) God, we'll miss him for the next game. He was yet again an immense, towering presence, appearing everywhere to snuff out danger like Steve McQueen in The Towering Inferno. Led by example, he was loud, demonstrative, admonishing and encouraging everyone around him. It's becoming a bit embarrassing for all concerned that he's not the captain. Because we all know he IS the captain.

Matip (8) Carried on his form from the last game with another stirring display of positive, aggressive defending. Alert, ambitious, accomplished.

Robertson (8) Relentless. He powered up and down the left in another non-stop display that would liquefy the lungs of anyone else. He made one error that actually worked out well when he missed a far-post ball and the Napoli player was too surprised to take advantage. Apart from that, he was flawless in defence. He's also so neat and clever in possession, and some of his immediate control and acceleration takes him past players instantly.

TAA (7) Was the most tested of the Liverpool defenders, as they seemed to take one look at Virgil and Robbo and think "nah", so the right side was their only real outlet. Left isolated once or twice, as he was given little help by Salah or anyone else, but coped well and was always looking to get forward.

Milner (8) Was everywhere and ran until his legs were stumps. He was always trying to make things happen, even if some of his passing was a bit agricultural. Delivered one or two his usual "reckoners" too, which is always great to see. Subbed off due to being utterly spent.

Henderson (7) Seemed affected by the general consensus that he was not everyone's first choice pick in that midfield. But after a tentative 15 minutes, he really started to influence the game, turning quicker, being more positive in his passing and movement, and also ensuring we kept solid in midfield with relentless harrying. This is the level he needs to stay at if he wants to keep his place.

Wijnaldum (8) He couldn't hit a fucking bull's arse with a laser-guided shovel, so there's that. However, he got better and better as the game wore on, and was so influential as we kept possession well, and won it back well. We never let Napoli breathe or relax and Wijnaldum was central to that, as he kept calm and always kept his foot on the ball.

Mane (6) Hard to score this one. As usual was one of our most dangerous and positive players, always looking to inflict pain and cause as much damage as possible, he only moves and looks in one direction - forwards. But he was so wasteful and missed a fucking HATFUL of chances.

Firmino (6) Not at the levels he reached last season, but again better than he's been for most of this one. Produced some nice flicks and clever passes, but too many didn't quite come off and he didn't look like scoring at all. Worked hard and linked play well, but needs to cause the opposition more problems from that position; he wasn't in the box anywhere near enough.

Salah (9) Ol' Koolybally will not relish seeing Salah again soon. Napoli won't want to see him ever again. He was in full "Torment Mode" as he ran at them again and again, turning, twisting and going past defenders all night. Perhaps should have done better with some of his final balls, and certainly should have scored more than one goal, but he was our best attacker and once more, our most reliable finisher.

Subs:

Keita (6) Game was made for him! Ran about a bit. er...?
Lovren (5) Not on for long, so only made one error.
Fabinho (6) Few decent headers, missed one right at the end, but Alisson saved the day.

Subs:

Keita (6) Game was made for him! Ran about a bit. er...?
Lovren (5) Not on for long, so only made one error.
Fabinho (6) Few decent headers, missed one right at the end, but Alisson saved the day.
Thank goodness for Alisson because that would have been the error that dumped us out.

I think Fabinho's slight touch on that cross caused the ball to land right in front of Millic. Otherwise, Lovren would have been perfectly positioned to clear it.

Fabinho was very good when he came on. Won something like 3 or 4 headers that could have put us under pressure.

Love an old fashioned duel, Salah v Koulabally 2. You can see, Salah takes things personally, earlier in the game especially as Koulabally is just so strong and an outstanding defender.
But Mo lives for this and wanted his say.
Salah v Ramos rematch must happen, Mo will not smile again till he does.
Btw, anyone see Neymar wearing the Alisson Becker shirt during PSG’s post match celebrations?
I forgot what it’s like to have a keeper that you trust and like on the team sheet after such a long time.
Thought Henderson in general was outstanding or maybe I just liked him pushing on so much second half. He took on a huge amount of responsibility and good to see him and VVD having a rather excited discussion after that challenge for the yellow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW Old Faithful was on duty last night and has been even when I haven't appeared on here (though Karius proved too much of an obstacle in Kiev).

48223147_10157475962547573_6706358138670415872_o.jpg

48172267_10157475962522573_1024556580080713728_o.jpg

48355481_10157475962662573_5176469454732656640_o.jpg

47680295_10157475962827573_4110662432488161280_o.jpg

Will Mo ever smile again. A big question. I wonder if a wondergoal against United would make him celebrate.

Will Mo ever smile again. A big question. I wonder if a wondergoal against United would make him celebrate.

Stolen

There may be something in Drogbas comments from last year about him:
"He's unpredictable he can dribble past you easily and he has got stronger and he can score goals," the Chelsea legend told BBC.
"There was time when he was texting me: 'I don't score, I don't know why.' I said: 'It is just a matter of time and confidence.'
"When you have the confidence, everything can happen and you can see now that he is scoring goals.
"He's becoming a boss and a leader - we've seen it in the national team and seen it at Liverpool.
"I can tell by his celebrations that he knows what he's doing now, he's not going crazy but just sticking his tongue out to say, 'yeah it's me.'"

BTW Old Faithful was on duty last night and has been even when I haven't appeared on here (though Karius proved too much of an obstacle in Kiev).

Poor choice of words. Obstacles are things that offer a challenge when you try to get past them.

Stolen

There may be something in Drogbas comments from last year about him:
"He's unpredictable he can dribble past you easily and he has got stronger and he can score goals," the Chelsea legend told BBC.
"There was time when he was texting me: 'I don't score, I don't know why.' I said: 'It is just a matter of time and confidence.'
"When you have the confidence, everything can happen and you can see now that he is scoring goals.
"He's becoming a boss and a leader - we've seen it in the national team and seen it at Liverpool.
"I can tell by his celebrations that he knows what he's doing now, he's not going crazy but just sticking his tongue out to say, 'yeah it's me.'"

I think there is something in this. I also think it has become his thing since the goal that won the second leg against City when instead of going wild he just squared up to the red support, and stared calmly into the mass of celebrating fans soaking up the joy.

Last edited:
Alisson with a fucking massive save in the last minute keeping the scoreline at 1-0 and us in the CL ...

1-0 should have been 6/7-0. We absolutely battered those cunts.
We still need to be more clinical but are slowly showing signs of coming out of our slumber. We are a daunting prospect for the opposition and improving. Beware the REDMEN cometh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom