• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post match - Spurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
erson, but efficient with and without the ball; created the 2nd goal (exaggerated contact, but it was a foul). Unfortunate to get a YC after rescuing one of Sakho's bad passes.
As usual after we play against strong teams, here are my player ratings:

Mignolet 6.5 – didn't have much to do, made one great reflex save and a crucial time, possibly a positional mistake for the early Adebayor chance
Manquillo 6.0 – looked a bit ordinary and was put under more pressure than Moreno on the other flank. Bent, but didn't break.
Lovren 6.5 – you can see he's a great player and at times some things he did had me purring with delight. But committed 2 or 3 "unforced errors" in this match. He will get better.
Sakho 4.0 – awful performance. A good half of Spurs' chances came from him giving the ball away in a dangerous position. Went for the same ball as Lovren even though he had no chance to get there, giving Spurs another chance. Later on played someone offside. I generally like Sakho, but this was bad. And unlike Lovren, I don't recall him having any particularly good moments today to redeem some of the errors.
Moreno 7.0 – supported the attack well and scored a great individual goal. It's good to have a real attacking full-back now, doesn't it? Defensively unchallenged today, Lamela was shit.
Gerrard 6.5 – 3 shots blocked, 3/3 successful tackles, 8 clearances, 2 chances created, 1 goal. If somebody writes that this was an "improved" performance from Gerrard, I disagree. This a typical early-season 6.5 performance from him.
Henderson 7.0 – created the 1st goal together with Sturridge, protected Manquillo very well and was the #1 reason we won the midfield battle. My MOM.
Allen 6.5 – quieter than Henderson, but efficient with and without the ball; created the 2nd goal (exaggerated contact, but it was a foul). Unfortunate to get a YC after rescuing one of Sakho's bad passes.
Sterling 7.0 – probably our best player now that Suarez has left. Keep learning, Raheem, you can do great things.
Balotelli 6.5 – he added something we were missing since Suarez left: a striker who is great at holding up the ball. He also freed Sturridge to roam around the attacking 3rd by his presence. Mario forgot his shooting boots, but overall it was a very encouraging performance. He looked very focused and willing to work for most of the game, but maybe the last 5-10 minutes before he was substituted I felt his concentration was waning. We don't have anybody else in the team with the qualities that Balotelli has; if he keeps playing with the same focus he can become a very important player for us.
Sturridge 6.5 – great, really top-class work to create first and 2nd goals. Could have been my MOM if not for some poor attempts later in the game. Looks happier to play with a strike partner.

Cheers for that. Good read. I didn't see the game, but on the highlights it was made clear that it was Sakho's ball to go for and not Lovren's. Loven was the more culpable for the chance which followed.

Oh and can I just say - I want to be the founding member of the 'Hendo is fucking boss' brigade. Future captain and I really hope he gets the vice captaincy now Dagger has departed.

I have to say that to your credit that you were the first on here to say that Hendo would be boss.
You defended him when others were completely deriding him, saying that his work ethic would eventually overcome his initial shortcomings.
You stood face to face in the Harry with Woland, listening to his five minute tirade about Henderwank being SHITE
Well done you.

I have to say that to your credit that you were the first on here to say that Hendo would be boss.
You defended him when others were completely deriding him, saying that his work ethic would eventually overcome his initial shortcomings.
You stood face to face in the Harry with Woland, listening to his five minute tirade about Henderwank being SHITE
Well done you.
Hahaha. Lol.

Oh and can I just say - I want to be the founding member of the 'Hendo is fucking boss' brigade. Future captain and I really hope he gets the vice captaincy now Dagger has departed.
Me, GK, Anita and a few other I can't remember have been in that club for years, the amount of abuse I've got about him on and off here is unreal! I'm with you though, I hope he gets the vice captaincy, and I really hope he's our next captain in two years time.

Me, GK, Anita and a few other I can't remember have been in that club for years, the amount of abuse I've got about him on and off here is unreal! I'm with you though, I hope he gets the vice captaincy, and I really hope he's our next captain in two years time.

Me too - why do you always forget me @Mystic?

What kind of sick vendetta is this?

I think this year - again there will be some shit with goal's scored and goal difference bollox - we need to be careful, and take our chances, there is always the possibility that if we stay the course then those readings may come to matter. It would appear that Chelsea will be trying to score goals this year too and on that basis we should aim to score highly like we did last season in the second half of the season. Hope we kill Vila 6-0 / 7-0 in next PL game, I was really upset after I read some of the shit they wrote regarding our misery last season towards the end, knowing that if they tried to hold City it may have made a difference on the final day for us. CUNTS !!!!

Me too - why do you always forget me @Mystic?

What kind of sick vendetta is this?
Its nothing personal, but I always mix you and gkmacca up, I wasn't sure if it was you or gk or both of you who rated Henderson, I'm sorry Gene, you're a good friend, dont let this come between us.

Short and sweet:

- Henderson. Staggering the running he does. Charging around as hard in the 93rd minute as he was in the 2nd minute. Made the goal, ran fearlessly, and as Oncy said - harassed and dominated the impressive Lamela. He's as good an all-round midfielder as there is in the league.

- Away from home. I love us away from home against sides that want to play. 3 at the back when we're in possession. Lovren and Skrtel split, Gerrard drops. That's how we play when we've got it for the most part. Leaves you exposed for sure, but you'll dick plenty of sides going the other way. I think all our away-form momentum came from that first 45 mins away to City last season when we ripped them open with quick breaks, third men runs, and midfielders charging into the box. We look to do it every time now, and as Ken pointed out earlier - when your front 2 or 3 can receive the ball and do something with it as well as they can - we're dangerous against anyone.

- Moreno. Not enough's been mentioned about this kid. He's 22, has come in from La Liga, his first 2 games are away to the Champions and a top 6 side, and he's looked like a baws. How fucking good is this kid?! Pace, reads it well, hard in the tackle, and my two favourite things; I sense some sort of attitude about him that tells me he's going to hate getting beat by anyone down that flank. Which is fucking tasty. And 2nd - the timing of his runs forward. Ever notice how when we break he's always at his optimum speed when receiving it, and joining in the attack at the exact right time? Quality. Any full-back can charge forward or spend half his day in the opposing half, it takes talent to know when to go and exploit at the exact right time. He's a player for sure. Going early with this one - but the best left-back we've had since one of those guys in the 80's.

- Joe Allen. Doesn't catch the eye as much as Hendo, or the swagsters up front, but fuck he works. Anyway, wanted to highlight his first touch for the penalty. Here - http://eatmygoal.tv/2014/08/31/joe-allen-winning-penalty-vs-spurs/
What a touch. Like his boots were covered in velvet. Anyway, ahead of that - his willingness to be that high up the pitch, in the opposition's penalty area, looking to take it off our number 9? Love that shit. Studge pings it at his weaker foot, where he's surrounded, and in one touch he's sent Capoue and Dier for chips. Watch how he's up on his toes to receive it, watch that left foot touch, watch Capoue's reaction (FUCKING SEEYA), watch Dier get caught out. Left foot touch, right foot touch, penalty. Out of nothing. And that's the difference between you, me, every other fan who's played football somewhere - and the top top players. They can do that.

Well done you.

Ha ha - Tis true.

Short and sweet:

- Henderson. Staggering the running he does. Charging around as hard in the 93rd minute as he was in the 2nd minute. Made the goal, ran fearlessly, and as Oncy said - harassed and dominated the impressive Lamela. He's as good an all-round midfielder as there is in the league.

- Away from home. I love us away from home against sides that want to play. 3 at the back when we're in possession. Lovren and Skrtel split, Gerrard drops. That's how we play when we've got it for the most part. Leaves you exposed for sure, but you'll dick plenty of sides going the other way. I think all our away-form momentum came from that first 45 mins away to City last season when we ripped them open with quick breaks, third men runs, and midfielders charging into the box. We look to do it every time now, and as Ken pointed out earlier - when your front 2 or 3 can receive the ball and do something with it as well as they can - we're dangerous against anyone.

- Moreno. Not enough's been mentioned about this kid. He's 20, has come in from La Liga, his first 2 games are away to the Champions and a top 6 side, and he's looked like a baws. How fucking good is this kid?! Pace, reads it well, hard in the tackle, and my two favourite things; I sense some sort of attitude about him that tells me he's going to hate getting beat by anyone down that flank. Which is fucking tasty. And 2nd - the timing of his runs forward. Ever notice how when we break he's always at his optimum speed when receiving it, and joining in the attack at the exact right time? Quality. Any full-back can charge forward or spend half his day in the opposing half, it takes talent to know when to go and exploit at the exact right time. He's a player for sure. Going early with this one - but the best left-back we've had since one of those guys in the 80's.

- Joe Allen. Doesn't catch the eye as much as Hendo, or the swagsters up front, but fuck he works. Anyway, wanted to highlight his first touch for the penalty. Here - http://eatmygoal.tv/2014/08/31/joe-allen-winning-penalty-vs-spurs/
What a touch. Like his boots were covered in velvet. Anyway, ahead of that - his willingness to be that high up the pitch, in the opposition's penalty area, looking to take it off our number 9? Love that shit. Studge pings it at his weaker foot, where he's surrounded, and in one touch he's sent Capoue and Dier for chips. Watch how he's up on his toes to receive it, watch that left foot touch, watch Capoue's reaction (FUCKING SEEYA), watch Dier get caught out. Left foot touch, right foot touch, penalty. Out of nothing. And that's the difference between you, me, every other fan who's played football somewhere - and the top top players. They can do that.
Good points, especially about Allen, he's was understatedly brilliant today.

Great post Ryan.

Just to correct you on something though - Moreno is 22, not 20 ha. Still very young and what a talent he looks.

Short and sweet:

- Moreno. Not enough's been mentioned about this kid. He's 20, has come in from La Liga, his first 2 games are away to the Champions and a top 6 side, and he's looked like a baws. How fucking good is this kid?! Pace, reads it well, hard in the tackle, and my two favourite things; I sense some sort of attitude about him that tells me he's going to hate getting beat by anyone down that flank. Which is fucking tasty. And 2nd - the timing of his runs forward. Ever notice how when we break he's always at his optimum speed when receiving it, and joining in the attack at the exact right time? Quality. Any full-back can charge forward or spend half his day in the opposing half, it takes talent to know when to go and exploit at the exact right time. He's a player for sure. Going early with this one - but the best left-back we've had since one of those guys in the 80's.

Totally agree with this. I really like your summary. Can I just add though that your avatar (while quaint and a little old school) makes you look like a 14 yr old who shops at Jack Wills. We've met and I know you can do better. Just saying.;)

Great touches, although that angle makes it look pretty soft if I'm honest. Definitely pulled his arm a little but...

Totally agree with this. I really like your summary. Can I just add though that your avatar (while quaint and a little old school) makes you look like a 14 yr old who shops at Jack Wills. We've met and I know you can do better. Just saying.;)

Yeah you're prob right like but I'm not changing it now am I?

Ah, forgot to mention Manquillo.

How teachable does this kid look? Love his attitude. Quiet, but looks like he just wants to learn all the time. You can see Hendo and Gerrard encouraging his every move. That's fantastic. He makes positional mistakes, he needs to time his runs a bit better, and he needs to stop jumping in like that, but the fucking tools are there. Work with him, teach him properly, get his positioning right and we've got a star.

Unassuming, desperate to learn, and throws himself into anything with minimal fuss. Give me a player like that every day of the week.

Why in fucks name are we bleating about how bad our defence was when we played a top end team away from home, kept a clean sheet & pretty much snuffed them out as an attacking force.

And me!

Why in fucks name are we bleating about how bad our defence was when we played a top end team away from home, kept a clean sheet & pretty much snuffed them out as an attacking force.
Because we can do better.

Really.... Better than a clean sheet.

Is that a new thing?
When we have a clean sheet, it says more about the opposition's attack, than our defending on most days.

Today was one of those days, a clinical Spurs side makes this a close affair.

I think you're about a year too late to be a founding member.

i believe that was only manquillo's 18th game of senior football . he could turn out to be a great pickup .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom