• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Pre Match - Crystal Palace (h) - Mon - 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably already been said, but the only real things to be happy about were Diaz and Elliotts individual performances, and the collective team effort after going a goal down. Trent had moments of quality, but it was an up and down performance. Thought Fabinho, Salah, Robertson and VVD were off It. Nunez was gash all night.

Gomez looked sharp enough to start the game, IMO. Had he done so I suspect we would have won. VVD and Phillips were on different wave lengths all night long.

Think we should consider dropping Fabinho for Henderson in the six. We just seem to keep the ball better with Hendo there, which might help the attack find some fluidity.

Lovey technique from Carvalho to nearly win in at the end.

I think in part it is, the midfield that started didn't have the link into the attack for us to create fluid movements......which is why in essence we struggled to really test Butland until after the sending off.....

We definitely didn’t test Butland at all during that game - we could at least have tried a few basic general knowledge questions, maybe by email.

Do you know what. Liverpools match programme actually had Butland starting in goal. No cap.

Darwin's only 23 and playing in his second competitive match for us. He'll get better.

As for Nat, everyone (well almost everyone) learnt that he isn't comfortable in a high line, and it wasn't the case that he was embarrassed himself tonight.

I am concerned about the midfield. I can't help but feel that this is the season an aging, one paced, workhorse midfield gets exposed against more athletically gifted opposition, but at least Harvey has started brightly and there is no reason why he should not keep his spot.

I’ve seen it back now and this sounds about right to me. Stupid, naive play but a headbutt it definitely wasn’t.
Nothing naive about it. It's a red card in any league. He knew exactly what he did . If the shoe was on the other foot you'd be screaming headbutt all day long.

Darwin's only 23 and playing in his second competitive match for us. He'll get better.

As for Nat, everyone (well almost everyone) learnt that he isn't comfortable in a high line, and it wasn't the case that he was embarrassed himself tonight.

I am concerned about the midfield. I can't help but feel that this is the season an aging, one paced, workhorse midfield gets exposed against more athletically gifted opposition, but at least Harvey has started brightly and there is no reason why he should not keep his spot.
If we have our best midfield out (Thiago, Fabs + either Elliott or Hendo, whichever one is on his game, and it's great we now have an option there) then that's not a workhorse midfield. Midfielders are rarely blessed with pace but with the ability to beat a man with footwork or run into space, all of those bar Hendo can do that, and do so regularly, Carvalho too if necessary.

Multiple injuries (10 FFS) mean that we haven't had the chance to play the midfield Klopp wants, otherwise we'd have 6/6 not 2/6. Thiago, Firmino, Jota, Ramsey, Konate, Matip, Ox, Jones and with Keita & Gomez just returned but only fit for the bench. That's a pretty dismal list to start the season and limiting in terms of tactical changes possible.

Clarification :

The final act of the first half saw Elliott release Núñez inside the area with a delightful chip. As the striker shaped to shoot Doucouré dived in with a crucial touch, diverting the ball beyond his own keeper but against the far post.

I'm concerned rather than disappointed. We're going to face lots of teams who play the same way as Palace, and without Thiago in the team we seem to just run into players. I had hoped that with Nunez signed we'd be able to get him on the end of decent crosses but the supply line from Trent and Robbo is nowhere near what it was; especially with Robertson, who doesn't seem to be linking up well with anyone and isn't creating much.

Milner was fine - for a 36 year old he played really well, in fairness. Elliott worked his socks off and did some nice stuff, though he's still a couple of levels below a midfielder needs to be for us. Fabinho's form is worrying.

So yeah. Concerned primarily with the full backs and Fabinho. We have a lot of injuries in midfield, but when players regain fitness it's time for Keita and Curtis, in particular, to be stepping up.

This place is toxic when we drop points. Some are just knee jerking and some are just moaning about everything. Klopp has earned our trust. He’ll sort it.

36 games to go, but somehow the league is lost in August. Weird.

I don't think we are blaming Klopp. It's the transfer market stance + squad planning that is a pressing concern (been on about this for sometime). Yes, Ramsay and Carvalho were signed but we do need players who can come in and do a job (consistently now) - esp. knowing the availability issues with the likes of Matip, Keita, Ox, Thiago. Gotta factor in the no. of games played last season + the intensity of the schedule cos of the WC at the end of the year too.

When you have to bring on a 36 yr old while chasing a game and
start him in the 2nd league game of the season + start a player who was supposed to be sold/loan out + have a 17 yr old who was playing U18 football last season as one of the two attacking options on the bench

as a title-challenging side, it's pretty underwhelming.

I'm concerned rather than disappointed. We're going to face lots of teams who play the same way as Palace, and without Thiago in the team we seem to just run into players. I had hoped that with Nunez signed we'd be able to get him on the end of decent crosses but the supply line from Trent and Robbo is nowhere near what it was; especially with Robertson, who doesn't seem to be linking up well with anyone and isn't creating much.

Milner was fine - for a 36 year old he played really well, in fairness. Elliott worked his socks off and did some nice stuff, though he's still a couple of levels below a midfielder needs to be for us. Fabinho's form is worrying.

So yeah. Concerned primarily with the full backs and Fabinho. We have a lot of injuries in midfield, but when players regain fitness it's time for Keita and Curtis, in particular, to be stepping up.
Robbo needs dropping for Tsimikas - even Klopp saw that during the game. He hasn't been hitting those highs for a while now and his crossing is a mile off what it was.

TAA is defo not on his game either but at least he provides 2-3 moments of brilliance per game. His defensive game is very worrying though, he seems to have gone backwards, yesterday he was a mile away from Zaha when he missed that open goal, he didn't even see him and deservedly got the evil eyes from Gomez.

I don't think we are blaming Klopp. It's the transfer market stance + squad planning that is a pressing concern (been on about this for sometime). Yes, Ramsay and Carvalho were signed but we do need players who can come in and do a job (consistently now) - esp. knowing the availability issues with the likes of Matip, Keita, Ox, Thiago. Gotta factor in the no. of games played last season + the intensity of the schedule cos of the WC at the end of the year too.

When you have to bring on a 36 yr old while chasing a game and
start him in the 2nd league game of the season + start a player who was supposed to be sold/loan out + have a 17 yr old who was playing U18 football last season as one of the two attacking options on the bench

as a title-challenging side, it's pretty underwhelming.

Yeah, but we have 10 unavailable players, 9 for the game yesterday. There isnt a team in the league that wouldnt be affected by that. 3 CBs were out. Gomez and Hendo would have started if they didnt carry knocks.

I think we need a new midfielder as well before the deadline. But the injury crisis, albeit its a short term one, is pretty hard to plan against.

This place is toxic when we drop points. Some are just knee jerking and some are just moaning about everything. Klopp has earned our trust. He’ll sort it.

36 games to go, but somehow the league is lost in August. Weird.
We’ve dropped 20% of the total we can drop all season after two games.

The entire world could see the difference in how we play when Thiago is fit versus when he's out. Th entire world knew Thiago would break down before the end of August

But we did . . . nothing.

The squad neglect and inability to keep the squad fresh is a big concern. Firmino's decline has been a shocker. Henderson isnt the same anymore. Milner is 36. Even Fabinho keeps putting in below par performances. Slightly worried this is going to turn into a Dortmund 2015 season.

I wouldn’t got that far. I think we will be best of the rest but we won’t get close to city. We will be closer to third place than top.

We have long list of players injured and lost one of key talisman in Mane.
The players look tired, I saw Trent, he was looking like he was taking big breaths like a smoker who smokes 20 a day
The owners lack ambition on the field as it seems they operate a transfer policy of low net spend or close to it which hampers Klopp.
Now some of you have suggested we wait for Jude, so do you write this season off? The players are a year older, and it's showing.
Ideally we need a CM and a RW

Last edited:
Yeah, but we have 10 unavailable players, 9 for the game yesterday. There isnt a team in the league that wouldnt be affected by that. 3 CBs were out. Gomez and Hendo would have started if they didnt carry knocks.

I think we need a new midfielder as well before the deadline. But the injury crisis, albeit its a short term one, is pretty hard to plan against.

It's not the first time we had loads of injuries - but we don't seem to learn anything from past experiences. It can be a vicious cycle - player rushed back from injuries or players can't get rested cos of the lack of options etc.

We have 4 games in the space of ~12 days over the next 2 weeks. Are we just going to bemoan about the injury situation (which in part had to do with the injury proneness of the players + our lack of depth in certain areas which remains unaddressed over the past transfer windows)?

Another concern is how, carrying on from the end of last season, we've become very predictable. The chances we create are half chances, and we end up relying on moments of magic, like Diaz last night. We seem to resort to giving it to Trent in the half space for him to hit and hope something into the box.

Average age of the squad is too high. Too many key players in their 30s - Alisson, Virgil, Matip, Thiago, Henderson, Milner, Salah, Firmino.

Fabinho and Robertson are both 28, and kinda look like they might be about to exit their primes in a year or two.

Effectively, that leaves us with just Trent, Konate, Diaz, Tsimikas and Darwin as players in the 23-28 age bracket. I'd include Keita and Ox in this bracket too, but they've been the major failures as signings - if they'd worked out like they were supposed to, much of this wouldn't have been a problem.

Jones, Elliott, Carvalho and Ramsey are too young (u-21) to be relied upon to play 40 games a season. That's where the squad building has been too slow. Ideally, we'd have had at least 3 more players in the 23-28 age bracket to carry the load. Instead, it's still pensioners like Thiago, Henderson and Milner lifting the heavy load and breaking their backs.

It's not the first time we had loads of injuries - but we don't seem to learn anything from past experiences. It can be a vicious cycle - player rushed back from injuries or players can't get rested cos of the lack of options etc.

We have 4 games in the space of ~12 days over the next 2 weeks. Are we just going to bemoan about the injury situation (which in part had to do with the injury proneness of the players + our lack of depth in certain areas which remains unaddressed over the past transfer windows)?

No, its quite clear that we've given up already (the fans).

I think we have learned a lot from previous history. Changing training routines, diets, rest and taking sport science to a World class level. Matip was injury free for a year with that approach. Henderson and Gomez sitting out yesterday because of the knocks they carry.

It doesnt change the fact that we should have signed a new midfielder and freshened up that area of the pitch as well.
Hopefully two draws and two points will make us dip into the transfer market for one more player.

I doubt Klopp and the players will give up, and I dont think its wise to do so after 2 games either.
I wont, and this place is obviously not the right forum for said attitude going forward.

Injuries are part of the game mate.
You either can handle them based on squad depth or you purchase players to accommodate for unforeseen realities.

I trust klopp but have no problem stating the obvious about squad depth and the desperate need since last year to strengthen our midfield.

Anyone get the feeling that mane was an even more important cog for this team than we realized?

Also, want pre-afcon mo back... hes still not right despite looking happy.

The complaining about us not doing anything to refresh the squad is boring and what's more untrue.

A new midfielder is coming. We all know that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom