• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Fulham (H) - EFL Semi - Weds 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nunez looks so into it, bombing round constantly trying to make things happen, like a happy spaniel dying to cheer up all the mad humans around him, looks like he's totally about to, then fucks it all up. Gakpo wanders about looking like he's got on the wrong bus and ended up in the wrong job, doesnt know what's going on and would quite like to be somewhere else, then scores mad goals.

Can't make sense of it.
1000_F_180433582_K7NB4PWUEx5mK4CsmSjjhYCfyhh06cpG.jpg

vs

1000_F_685343928_GnguJAFtqp8g9MUunJn5hZp3ixRbfyxL.jpg

Between Jota, Nunez and gakpo, we actually might have Frankenstein Salah.
I said when some people (and commentators) were wringing their hands at Mo's upcoming AFCON absence that we still have 4 very good forwards, that between them will score enough goals to cover his absence. I still believe that - if Klopp will actually keep 3 of them on the pitch at any one time instead of playing people like Elliott out of position.

Have we started Nunez-Jota-Gakpo so so far in this season?
Klopp is intentionally messing around with all of us fans by not doing that.

I think in the classic Firmino-Mane-Salah trio, Sadio was the "chaos creator" or "threat," Firmino was the facilitator and Salah the killer. Now without Salah, it looks like Nunez is definitely a "Mane," but what's surprising is that Jota became more of a "Firmino," while Gakpo/Diaz are the killers! You would think it would be the other way around, but we've scored several goals when Nunez broke the defensive structure of the opponent, Jota swooped in with a classy play to take advantage of the space and Gakpo, Diaz or Jones put the ball in the net.

Last edited:
You slag him off every week, nonsensically might I add, I’m in the stands like tonight with thousands of others belting his name more times than anyone else and he came on as a sub!!!

Kuyt never managed 12 assists in his career nevermind after one season.
He had 11 in different seasons for us and his best season overall in his career was 19. He’s also had 16 and 15 in other years.
Over his career he had 151 assists. Show some respect.

He had 11 in different seasons for us and his best season overall in his career was 19. He’s also had 16 and 15 in other years.
Over his career he had 151 assists. Show some respect.
Kuyt was shite. We all know 150 of those came in the Dutch league.

Pretty good going that, Kuyt the duracell bunny hero!!!
He had his limitations but was a workhorse and scored big big goals including a delicious hat trick against Utd, a winning peno vs Everton and the winning peno in the CL semi vs Chelsea!!

Kuyt wasn't shite at all. A utility centre forward who did a job everywhere and was massive in the big games.
I was kidding Mark. I'm sorry if the bluntness didn't make it look obvious enough.

He was a bit below average though & that's me being kind.

Kuyt wasn't shite at all. A utility centre forward who did a job everywhere and was massive in the big games.
Looking back, the only thing that was shite with the Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard, Torres, Kuyt etc team was the fact that we didn't have good enough squad players. Remember all the shit Rafa got from pundits for rotating the squad?
In hindsight those pundits look like complete idiots now.

Last edited:
Looking back, the only thing that was shite with the Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard, Torres, Kuyt etc was the fact that we didn't have good enough squad players. Remember all the shit Rafa got from pundits for rotating the squad?
In hindsight those pundits look like complete idiots now.

Yep, but Rafa never got in anyone great to play left wing

I don't think anyone, including Klopp, believes that Elliott will be our right sided forward in the long term. I think Klopp has just realised that he still has some flaws in his game where he can be a bit too wasteful with the ball and so he doesn't always like to risk him in midfield. It's just part of getting him game time that's all. He's a good player. He was frustrated when he came off last night and rightly so, he'd started to pick up pockets of space on the inside right and was making things happen, then he gets hooked. And no, Szobo, Jones or Gravenberch wouldn't be an improvement there either.

What we lacked from the off last night was genuine pace on the flanks, until Nunez came on. That's been evident too many times this season. Moving Salah inside kills it for exactly the same reason and Diaz has largely been a massive disappointment this season, so isn't really a reliable, dangerous outlet, despite possessing reasonably good pace and skill. I think we have to pretty much always have either Salah or Nunez on the flank, preferably both. Jota and Gapko can fight it out for the central spot, and Diaz can supplement Salah and Nunez. As it stands anyway.

Elliott has a lot of quality, can make things happen and will get goals. He's still learning and he's a very good prospect. The writing off of him on here is laughable, while the same posters persist with sucking off the likes of Gravenberch because he has a small amount of pedigree and occasionally goes on a good run. At the minute, it's smacking of Keita again (minus being a crock), pinning hopes on isolated moments of promise and over-exaggerating it to the full, while slating a lad who's actually made a difference in some games.

Last edited:
Yep, but Rafa never got in anyone great to play left wing

Or right wing. He really struggled with playing genuine pacey wingers. He liked us to be solid across midfield and defense and pinned too much of his threat on two 20-30 goals a season players. You'd see players like Kuyt on the wing because he knew he'd work his bollocks off first and foremost and grab the odd goal. Kuyt was fine though, he was a menace and what he lacked in pace he made up for in big goals and big performances when it really mattered.

expect a visit from Ryan Babel and Albert Riera, they’d like a word

Neither of them were "great" though. Especially Babel, who had tonnes of promise but was hit and miss and very naive as a player. Riera was good for a season but was one of those players who burned out quickly (see also Meireles, Barmby, Ziege, etc).

I don't think anyone, including Klopp, believes that Elliott will be our right sided forward in the long term. I think Klopp has just realised that he still has some flaws in his game where he can be a bit too wasteful with the ball and so he doesn't always like to risk him in midfield. It's just part of getting him game time that's all. He's a good player. He was frustrated when he came off last night and rightly so, he'd started to pick up pockets of space on the inside right and was making things happen, then he gets hooked. And no, Szobo, Jones or Gravenberch wouldn't be an improvement there either.

What we lacked from the off last night was genuine pace on the flanks, until Nunez came on. That's been evident too many times this season. Moving Salah inside kills it for exactly the same reason and Diaz has largely been a massive disappointment this season, so isn't really a reliable, dangerous outlet, despite possessing reasonably good pace and skill. I think we have to pretty much always have either Salah or Nunez on the flank, preferably both. Jota and Gapko can fight it out for the central spot, and Diaz can supplement Salah and Nunez. As it stands anyway.

Elliott has a lot of quality, can make things happen and will get goals. He's still learning and he's a very good prospect. The writing off of him on here is laughable, while the same posters persist with sucking off the likes of Gravenberch because he has a small amount of pedigree and occasionally goes on a good run. At the minute, it's smacking of Keita again (minus being a crock), pinning hopes on isolated moments of promise and over-exaggerating it to the full, while slating a lad who's actually made a difference in some games.
Who are these posters sucking off Gravenberch? Cause I gave him just as much gripe that I gave Elliott. And yes you're right, Elliott isn't a right winger, but I don't think anyone questioned his place in the squad, he just didn't have a good game yesterday and was rightly subbed by Klopp.
At the moment, the only thing Gravenberch holds over Elliott is his size and height. If he just had 50% of the drive and commitment Elliott is showing in midfield he'd be a top class player.
Klopp should imo do more to protect Elliott and only play him in midfield. He's better at defending and closing down players now but there's room for improvement.
Honestly, unless there's an injury crisis I'd keep playing Elliott as an impact sub. He's looked top class coming on as sub late in games.

Neither of them were "great" though. Especially Babel, who had tonnes of promise but was hit and miss and very naive as a player. Riera was good for a season but was one of those players who burned out quickly (see also Meireles, Barmby, Ziege, etc).

yea I’m joking, like you say not Rafas strong point finding exciting wingers

I like Elliot, but I don't think RW is a good position for him as he will never be someone to try and run in behind the opposition. He always comes deep and wants to be a playmaker. He is best with people ahead of him. As you right mention, this presents a challenge for him in a midfield spot but I think this is ultimately the only spot he can succeed in, other than a great impact sub in games where we have either lots of the ball, or lots of space to work in.

I hope he takes the confidence that Klopp chose him at RW ahead of Nunez/Gakpo because he believes in his talent and game winning abilities.

Either way - I wouldn't have him starting there in the league whilst Mo is away, but it might work (albeit with an element of risk) for him to be in RCM with one of the other forwards ahead of him.

I like Elliot, but I don't think RW is a good position for him as he will never be someone to try and run in behind the opposition. He always comes deep and wants to be a playmaker. He is best with people ahead of him. As you right mention, this presents a challenge for him in a midfield spot but I think this is ultimately the only spot he can succeed in, other than a great impact sub in games where we have either lots of the ball, or lots of space to work in.

I hope he takes the confidence that Klopp chose him at RW ahead of Nunez/Gakpo because he believes in his talent and game winning abilities.

Either way - I wouldn't have him starting there in the league whilst Mo is away, but it might work (albeit with an element of risk) for him to be in RCM with one of the other forwards ahead of him.

I think it's also worth considering that when he played right wing yesterday, it needed to complimented by a genuine outlet on the left. While I don't think right wing/forward is his best position, I think he would have faired better if:

a) He'd had Trent behind him (Bradley was too reserved in the first half but more attacking in the second).
b) We'd had an actual outlet on the opposite flank, instead of Diaz getting to the halfway line and repeatedly cutting infield.

The four forwards thing worked yesterday because Gapko was given license to roam and he gave us something when he kept popping up on the right, but in a game that was already congested, I worried that the four might just make that lack of space worse. As it was, we just allowed them to roam and attack from every angle. It's horses for courses with this team, we have a good squad that's helped by a manager who adds variation and chaos when needed. Many of them can play multiple positions and that's crucial to how flexible we are. In another game Elliott will be just fine on the right, as he will in midfield, or coming off the bench. The options are great, even with the current crop of injuries.

There were quite a few times when a pass was on, and players who could make that pass to Elliot refused to do so, its obvious they could see him. Also when both Elliot and Gravy got subbed they were having their most effective time on the pitch where everything was more fluid. I would have been pissed if Darwin and Gakpo made no impact after they were introduced, coz it looked and felt like something would have happened with Gravy/Elliot in those few minutes.

I'm disliking the focus on Elliott today. Disliking it immensely.

He was fucking awful, but at the very least he's proven himself at various points this season.

Still waiting for the gravenberch show to turn up, as so far this season he's been fucking muck.

I'm disliking the focus on Elliott today. Disliking it immensely.

He was fucking awful, but at the very least he's proven himself at various points this season.

Still waiting for the gravenberch show to turn up, as so far this season he's been fucking muck.
So true, everytime he has come on he has done really well, people need to show somw understanding, as he is moved positions and has to constantly play with different partners up front or at RM. I personally think to play him and get the best out of him when starting we need a 4-2-1-3 setup, where he is the one playing behind the front 3 and occupying those pockets of space and linking the midfield pivot to the strike force.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom