• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Liverpool vs Chelsea (A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeTallecWiz

Doos
Honorary Member
From footy365.com:

1) Will Chelsea look to frustrate Liverpool by backing right off?
We all know how Liverpool will approach this game; Jurgen Klopp has never been one for caution or game-management tactics. But Chelsea are more difficult to predict. Most likely, Antonio Conte will hold a deep defensive line and refuse to confront the Liverpool players in the Reds’ half. Shutting out space in behind and compressing space between the lines is the tried and tested way to frustrate Liverpool’s high-pressing, direct approach.

The introduction of Andrew Robertson and Trent Alexander-Arnold into the first XI has improved Liverpool’s ability to open up deep defences, but the problem still persists. The last four Premier League teams to take points from Liverpool held an average of 34% possession between them. Chelsea will probably follow Manchester United’s lead: packing the midfield and holding a dense low block, preventing Liverpool from a) slipping through balls from midfield and b) playing long balls over the top, as they did so successfully against Roma at Anfield.

2) Will Conte risk Bakayoko against Liverpool’s gegenpress?
Tiemoue Bakayoko made it through 90 minutes against Swansea City last weekend looking like an actual professional football player. The Frenchman’s nightmare debut season in England is nearly over, but before the summer break he has one more difficult task. It’s hard to see why Conte would have played Bakayoko at Swansea (with Ross Barkley, Willian and Pedro all on the bench) if it wasn’t to prepare him for the Liverpool game.

Assuming Chelsea broadly go with the above tactical plan, they’ll need a second defensive midfielder alongside N’Golo Kante. Teams who play a two-man midfield tend to get overrun by Liverpool’s three centre-mids (again, look at Roma in the first leg), and so Cesc Fabregas with Kante would be far too meek.

Bakayoko will, of course, be targeted by Liverpool. Klopp’s side are excellent at setting traps with their pressing and honing in on weak spots; Bakayoko will be left as the only free man, but as soon he receives the ball, Roberto Firmino and company will rush at the Frenchman from all sides. Can he handle the pressure? Liverpool will punish even a single mistake.

3) Can Hazard lead the counter-attack from the spaces behind Liverpool’s midfield?
Another major benefit of sitting in a hunched formation against Liverpool is luring Klopp’s team too far forward, increasing their vulnerability to the counter-attack. Liverpool don’t really possess a defensive midfielder, with all of Jordan Henderson, Georginio Wijnaldum and James Milner pouring forward together.

This means Eden Hazard, likely to start behind Olivier Giroud in a 3-5-1-1, could dominate the number ten zone. Dejan Lovren and Alexander-Arnold are particularly error-prone when frantically back-pedalling, which should give hope to Chelsea fans; Hazard can draw Lovren out of defence and carry the ball deep into Liverpool territory. What’s more, Hazard and Fabregas will take confidence from Radja Naingollan’s long-range first goal in midweek. There is always space on the edge of the box for a moment of quality.

4) Will Chelsea win the battle for the flanks?
Alexander-Arnold and Robertson have become vital components of the Liverpool attack, adding width and directness (with their crosses) to provide an alternative route to goal when opponents are sitting deep. Consequently Chelsea’s wing-backs, Marcos Alonso and Victor Moses, will be more cautious than usual.

However, the urge to get forward will be hard to resist. Roma attempted 35 crosses against Liverpool in midweek, reflecting the Reds’ inability to adequately close down space in wide areas. Their narrow 4-3-3 formation, in which the three forwards stay high, inevitably leaves the full-backs too exposed to close down crosses, which means Moses and Alonso should be able to pick out Olivier Giroud.

5) Will Salah come out on top in his battle with Rudiger?
The biggest individual battle on the pitch is between Mohamed Salah and Antonio Rudiger, the left-sided centre-back and clearly the weakest in the Chelsea defence. If Liverpool successfully win the ball in the Chelsea half there is a danger of a three-on-three developing, at which time Rudiger might struggle to mark the Egyptian.

Rudiger was particularly poor in each of Chelsea’s three defeats against Manchester United, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotpsur. His positional play looked timid on each occasion, reflecting his inexperience in English football. Salah and Firmino will give him a hard time.

Let's hope we see the lads wearing this bad boy

jt7324.jpg

Not sure what is good for us here. We have Limited playermaterial to put out there, but maybe some fresh legs will be good for us.

Karius - Clyne, Van Dijk, Klavan, Robertson - Milner, Wijnaldum, Hendo - Salah, Firm, Mane

Other lurking around for a start Place? Woodburn, Ings?

It should be the same team as against Roma. Thats our best team as of now, and we cant rest anyone.
Dont think we'll win though, as the players will be all over the place after Wednesday and Chelsea will be up for it.
Putting a few quid on us getting a penalty though, after Klopps comments and the Stoke handball I'll bet a challenge in their box wins us a penalty...

We should probably focus upon defending in this game as Chelsea are a good proxy for Real's attack, it would be a good test. Likewise it would make sense to focus upon attacking Brighton whose defence will be every bit as bad Madrid's.

Or just focus on getting at least a point from the Chelsea game and then focusing on Real.

I think a few players will get a rest Trent should take some time out and Clyne given the opportunity to get involved.
I wonder if Lallana and Can are available and ready to start?

I think a few players will get a rest Trent should take some time out and Clyne given the opportunity to get involved.
I wonder if Lallana and Can are available and ready to start?
Both Lallana and Can are listed as injured on physioroom until May 13th.
Klopp said Lallana is training with the first team squad but there was no mention of Can.

Can won't be back. I think he's nursing himself through until he joins up with his new team.

First line on football365 says "A series of draws against Everton, West Brom and Stoke City means defeat at Stamford Bridge this weekend will make Jurgen Klopp’s side favourites to finish fifth in the Premier League."

Am I missing something? If Chelsea win and beat Huddersfield we'll be level on points but our GD is vastly better, plus we're home to Brighton and they're away to Newcastle.

Both Lallana and Can are listed as injured on physioroom until May 13th.
Klopp said Lallana is training with the first team squad but there was no mention of Can.

In the presser, Klopp said that Lallana had his first training session yesterday, and looked okay but he'll have to think about when to use him. He also said that Can will be assessed on Monday, and he'll either be out for the season or back in training, depending on the assessment. Gomez is still out.

I am officially opposed to this madness; changed kits should only be used when there is a clash of colours.

I'm going to write a stiffly worded letter to the FA

We're losing this one. Which will make Brighton a nailbiter. We don't do easy.

Probably watching this one with a mate who supports Chelsea. Great....

I’m not arsed about this game because we will be near full strength vs Brighton. We will fuck them sideways. Then 2 weeks rest before dicking Madrid. Enough time for a week in Malaga team building.

Clyne and Klavan to start. Lallana off the bench.

Clyne should start - no question. He may even start vs Real if he looks good vs. Chelsea and Brighton.

The team are going to be mentally, if not physically, shattered. I can't see us getting anything out of this and losing 2-0 / 3-0.

Best bet is to rotate whoever we can in for the scond half when tired legs and minds will show. Woodburn, Ings and Lallana to get run outs of 30 mins or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom