• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Man City (H) - Sunday 16:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
That goal was a proper throwback to their form from a couple years ago - fast, precise and lethal.

Would be amazing if we start to see it more consistently.

It was a great block, but he also should have scored. The goal was open, he didn't need so much time to get his balance and back lift - once the ball was under control it just needed any touch towards goal. Big moment.

So if he hadn't taken a heavy first touch he should have scored
But he did so he shouldn’t have. He’s not a striker, that heavy touch in that situation is perfectly normal when a keeper surprisingly misses the ball.

But he did so he shouldn’t have. He’s not a striker, that heavy touch in that situation is perfectly normal when a keeper surprisingly misses the ball.
That's ridiculous. He was responsible for a poor first touch so it was on him that he didn't score.
There are loads of mitigating factors for why he didn't and people aren't getting on his case or blaming him for not winning but the fact remains it was an open goal and he should have scored.

At half time by the bar in the lower Kenny...

Actually we need to talk about the bar at the lower Kenny. It was built 21 years ago and it's all small and packed and this new method of getting in means everyone gets in early and has to queue for pints, effectively stealing from all the local pubs with much worse choice and service, but apart from all that, what about covid? Everyone is rammed in together for ages, you can't take your drink to your seat, it's fucking madness. I digress.

At half time in this virus pit I was talking to my mates and they were of the opinion that Mane should be hooked for Firmino and I was the only one saying fuck that, he's got goals in him. Crazy goals. Goals you don't expect. But I did hundred percent think we'd see Gomez on for Milner when the second half kicked off, it was obvious that he was going to keep getting rinsed and sent off, which he should have been.

The worst thing about half time yesterday is that words like Keita and Ox started coming into my head. That's never happened before. On that basis I'll settle for the point.

That's ridiculous. He was responsible for a poor first touch so it was on him that he didn't score.
There are loads of mitigating factors for why he didn't and people aren't getting on his case or blaming him for not winning but the fact remains it was an open goal and he should have scored.
Not for me. He should have done better for their opening goal. Now that I can get behind.

Actually we need to talk about the bar at the lower Kenny. It was built 21 years ago and it's all small and packed and this new method of getting in means everyone gets in early and has to queue for pints, effectively stealing from all the local pubs with much worse choice and service, but apart from all that, what about covid? Everyone is rammed in together for ages, you can't take your drink to your seat, it's fucking madness. I digress.

At half time in this virus pit I was talking to my mates and they were of the opinion that Mane should be hooked for Firmino and I was the only one saying fuck that, he's got goals in him. Crazy goals. Goals you don't expect. But I did hundred percent think we'd see Gomez on for Milner when the second half kicked off, it was obvious that he was going to keep getting rinsed and sent off, which he should have been.

The worst thing about half time yesterday is that words like Keita and Ox started coming into my head. That's never happened before. On that basis I'll settle for the point.
I posted an article from the Athletic, not sure if you read it, which said that many local pubs are suspicious about the new admission practices which is forcing fans into the ground earlier. Pints are meant to be cheaper in the ground as well and the suspicion is that the club are deliberately trying to get fans to buy their pints in Anfield rather than in a local pub.

Potential yellow aside I thought Milner had a good second half.
Pretty shit for the local pubs.

Are you backtracking from saying his first touch was poor?
Not at all. IMO in that situation anyone bar Mo and Firmino would have had a poor first touch there.
To argue our DM should have scored there I think is a big stretch.

I posted an article from the Athletic, not sure if you read it, which said that many local pubs are suspicious about the new admission practices which is forcing fans into the ground earlier. Pints are meant to be cheaper in the ground as well and the suspicion is that the club are deliberately trying to get fans to buy their pints in Anfield rather than in a local pub.
What’s suspicious about that? It’s an obvious tactic.

Soz, I can't handle those athletic articles. They seem to go on forever, but it's a point I raised on the first day of the season. It's obvious what they're up to and it stinks. A minor point in this is that until yesterday at least you could get San Miguel. They've even fucked that off so it's only Carling. Carling is like sucking on the change in your jeans pocket. I guess it's a price thing, going by what you've said.

And another fucking thing. They pour a can into your cup. Who does that anywhere ever now? They should have them things that do ten pints at once if they actually want to be useful.

Not at all. IMO in that situation anyone bar Mo and Firmino would have had a poor first touch there.
To argue our DM should have scored there I think is a big stretch.
So we agree that he is a D/M and he took a poor first touch. Are we agreeing that the same poor touch contributed to him not scoring?

Soz, I can't handle those athletic articles. They seem to go on forever, but it's a point I raised on the first day of the season. It's obvious what they're up to and it stinks. A minor point in this is that until yesterday at least you could get San Miguel. They've even fucked that off so it's only Carling. Carling is like sucking on the change in your jeans pocket. I guess it's a price thing, going by what you've said.

And another fucking thing. They pour a can into your cup. Who does that anywhere ever now? They should have them things that do ten pints at once if they actually want to be useful.
I don't think the day is too far away when a match ticket for non members and season ticket holders is double the price but includes gifts like programmes scarfs etc and comes with credit to be spent in the ground.

So we agree that he is a D/M and he took a poor first touch. Are we agreeing that the same poor touch contributed to him not scoring?
Every aspect of the passage of play contributed. The vast majority being Rodri’s rapid recovery. Incredible. Made up for how poor he was for our first.

People are being ridiculously harsh on Fabinho for that chance. The touch was fine, it was just magnificent defending by Rodri. Every other time that cunt looks like he's towing a caravan, but he sprang out of nowhere to stop that
I don't think I or anyone else is being a harsh on Fabinho.
He had an open goal and he or any other player regardless of their position should have scored.
And yes, he was unfortunate that Rodri put in a great block

The queues for beer in the main stand are mental - with a half decent set up they'd sell triple the amount of pints to those who are arriving 90 mins early to ensure they get in with no problems.

People are being ridiculously harsh on Fabinho for that chance. The touch was fine, it was just magnificent defending by Rodri. Every other time that cunt looks like he's towing a caravan, but he sprang out of nowhere to stop that
Yep watched the highlights on that one. Fabinho had to stretch to get the ball under control, and then regain his balance and try and score. By that time, Rodri had got the tackle in. Simply nothing Fabinho could have done there, except to try and score on that first stretch touch itself. Maybe a brilliantly instinctive striker would have stretched and simply scored with that first touch, but that was about the only option.

Here it is, floated ball in, going away from you. The only way to score is to use your left foot and hit it first time. Quite difficult to execute

Yep watched the highlights on that one. Fabinho had to stretch to get the ball under control, and then regain his balance and try and score. By that time, Rodri had got the tackle in. Simply nothing Fabinho could have done there, except to try and score on that first stretch touch itself. Maybe a brilliantly instinctive striker would have stretched and simply scored with that first touch, but that was about the only option.
Completely agree. Not to mention the fact he would never have expected the ball to reach him.

Yeah, but no one would have expected Ederson to miss this, so the decision to hit it first time would have to be made in a millisecond - I don’t think anyone outside of maybe Gerd Muller would have pulled it off. Salah wouldn’t hit it first time either. Maybe a brilliant in-form finisher would have anticipated the block with some kind of sixth sense and lifted the ball rather than hit it on the ground.

Last edited:
Neither Bissouma nor Doucoure are as good as Fabinho defensively, not even close. It's just that Fabs had played 3 x high intensity 90 mins in 8 days and was clearly lethargic as a result. No need to reinvent the wheel here, it was just the cumulative effect.

If Morton continues his progress for another year and was ready then he could have done the job.

No they are not - but both are progressive going forward from what I have observed. It's what @rurikbird said the other day - Fabinho is a stopper that lacks the dynamic lateral movement of the other types of players I have mentioned. But you are right that there is an element of tiredness creeping into his game which is understandable but fucking dumb on our part by not replacing Gini. It's a shame that Klopp now thinks twice about bringing in a youngster from the academy when we are short on a certain type of skill, I remember when he introduced TAA against Man United all those years ago, was hoping he may consider Morton to at least try and give Fabinho a rest.

Yeah, but no one would have expected Ederson to miss this, so the decision to hit it first time would have to be made in a millisecond - I don’t think anyone outside of maybe Gerd Muller would have pulled it off. Salah wouldn’t hit it first time either. Maybe a brilliant in-form finisher would have anticipated the block with some kind of sixth sense and lifted the ball rather than hit it on the ground.
Agreed, very difficult chance

Maybe could’ve controlled it with his left and shot with his right quickly enough to evade the block but yea difficult chance

[article]They relied on moments of genius from two world-class players - Salah combined with Mane to put them 1-0 up, before scoring that absolutely phenomenal solo goal himself. They were both goals out of nothing, goals out of dreams.
[/article]

Does anyone agree with Jenas?

He's exaggerating IMO. They were streets ahead of us in the first half but they didn't score, and the second half was much better balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom