• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Man City (H) - Sunday 16:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
Right lads - huge game and we couldn't have had a better set of results midweek to prep for this. I can't imagine Pep will avoid playing a striker against us though!

I'll proceed as if Trent is out, we can get him a good rest through the internationals ready for 4-5 tough games in a row once we are back. Millie will be fired up against City too.

--------------Alisson--------------
Millie---Matip---VVD---Robbo
---------------Fabs-----------------
-------Hendo------Jones----------
Salah-------Bobby--------Mane

Jones keeps his place, he has been excellent. Bobby starts for me, we need his pressing from the start and we can use Jota has a great sub option.

I suppose there is also the option of Gomez at RB, but Milner is capable defensively and will be a threat attacking so i'd opt for the dual threat, although it would be fun to see Gomez vs Sterling reignited.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be disappointed/ concerned if that isn't the team, unless Trent is fit.

I am almost certain Pep will try a strikerless system against us. Foden or Sterling up top or maybe even 2 “false nines” like he did vs United last season, I think. He will target the space behind the fullbacks, not try to challenge VVD and Matip directly.

I am almost certain Pep will try a strikerless system against us. Foden or Sterling up top or maybe even 2 “false nines” like he did vs United last season, I think. He will target the space behind the fullbacks, not try to challenge VVD and Matip directly.

Yep, he would be wise to see that he doesn't have players able to trouble the CBs like Brentford did. I'd like to think we could really snuff out the threat down the channels with Hendo & Jones really supporting their respective sides.

Ideally we'd have City on the back foot though rather than let them overload us.

I would also be confident of success at set pieces if they are using Dias & Laporte, they lose a lot of aerial strength without Stones.

Pep is gonna pep. And I don’t mean by shagging dogs on Anfield Road. He’ll overthink it and fuck it up.
3-0 win for us.

Yep. Agree with Rurik and Brizzle. Can't see Pep going with Jesus and he's got no other option. Maybe Mahrez wide right (not Sterling). That leaves Grealish, Sterling and Foden for 2 slots. Can see Foden deep centre to help overload our midfield and Grealish left. The idea being to overload our right (regardless of whether it's Millie or Trent). And with Cancelo & Rodri both looking in ominous form that's what they'll do.

Klopp will need to come up with a team/plan to counter Cancelo/Rodri/De Bruyne/ Grealish on our right.

---------------Ederson

Walker---Dias---LaPorte---Cancelo

----------------Rodri
------Silva-------------De Bruyne

---------------Foden
Mahrez-------------------Grealish

Yep. Agree with Rurik and Brizzle. Can't see Pep going with Jesus and he's got no other option. Maybe Mahrez wide right (not Sterling). That leaves Grealish, Sterling and Foden for 2 slots. Can see Foden deep centre to help overload our midfield and Grealish left. The idea being to overload our right (regardless of whether it's Millie or Trent). And with Cancelo & Rodri both looking in ominous form that's what they'll do.

---------------Ederson

----------------Rodri

---------------Foden

Bluemoon seems to think Pep should have Foden, Jesus & Mahrez as the front three. But they started Grealish, Jesus & Foden for Chelsea game and that served them well.

Honestly, I think they will struggle to handle us big time. We will be out for blood.

Klopp will need to come up with a team/plan to counter Cancelo/Rodri/De Bruyne/ Grealish on our right.

---------------Ederson

----------------Rodri

---------------Foden

I think he will play Jesus (either from the start or as a sub), but on a wing, not at CF. He’s the best pure finisher they have.

Peps gonna play exactly as he did against Chelsea, and has before against us, five players pressing ridiculously high against our back line, choking our ability to build up into midfield. It's been successful against us before, and losing Trent whos one of the more competent ball players in our team worries me a lot in this regard, both Milner and Gomez has look clumsy and slow under pressure.

I'd love to have Thiago back for this game, we're gonna need that composure in the midfield to deal with their pressure, but either way, that pressure leaves them exposed and I do think we can take advantage there. As has been mentioned already, Firmino has to start this one, I think he's a player that scares City too because of the past performances he's had against them, so it's also good for the psychological edge, also Jones has to start too after that performance yesterday, but send him out in Thiagos shirt, the kids got it all, but he's got to go out their believing it's his game to run.

I actually think the Brentford game is the blueprint here. Our midfield will just be putting out fires - how can we bypass their midfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom