• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Man City (H) - Sunday 16:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great result considering most the team were poor (made to look poor)

My concerns over Fabs were highlighted with Crystal clarity today. Agile clever players can skip past him and make him look ponderous and slow.

We really missed Thiago today so hopefully this puts to be bed the notion he’s the Spainish Lucas.

Becker incredible, without him it’s all over by half time.

Mo certainly doing everything he can to get that big fat contract. Very like his Spurs goal with a similar 2-2 result.

Mane’s movement and finish for his own goal was sexual.

This season is going to be about beating everyone outside Chelsea and City and looking to get a draw in those games.
We’ve fucked up against Brentford, we can’t afford too many more of those. City’s football today was on another level, thank fuck they didn’t land Kane.

I’d say Fabinho being doubled over Joe Cole style on about 85 minutes had something to do with it

Was a great second half...but just a pity they got the equaliser...I mean nobody does RAGE...better than Pep..he'd give Bazil Fawlty a run for his money..

I said during the match they should have a picture-in-picture of Pep in the top corner. Would watch him all day long.

How did Fabinho not score

image.png

He needed a touch as the ball was so quick and Rodri managed to stick his foot in the right place.

Couldn't shut the door on Brentford, again today we didn't get tight or cover. They came through us at will in the first half, and did so in the second half to a lesser extent. Even VVD did not show enough urgency But the main culprits were Hendo, Fabinho, Milner,Robbo, Mane.

I contend that the Porto game might have lulled them. Klopp didn't have them prepped well enough. He might've thought they'll carry the good vibes from Porto over into this game. I thought that as well. But this is City, if your not 100% on it they'll take over the game., The players I mentioned didn't do what they should do esp Hendo and Fab. Their passing was poor, their spacial awareness was poor, just didn't have any real control apart from periods in the second half. Robbo was often slow to cover esp in the second half. A lot of their moves came down his side Mane didn't give him much support either. Nearly every time Milly plays he has to resort to the professional foul, it nearly cost him a red today. If we don't work harder, a lot harder to protect leads then we won't be in it come next March/April.

It was left to Mo to pull us out of the mediocrity. He made the first and literally scored a Houdini like 2nd. Fabinho showed he wasn't quick enough to score, that he is slightly stale. Today he was very leggy and a tad listless. Sometimes an easy wins dulls the energy levels.

So our MOTM was Mo..but 4 for Hendo..5 Fabinho...6 for the Boss. Bad day at the office. we got out of it with a point, nothing was decided and the break might help us.

It was great defensive play and yet he still absolutely should have scored.
It was an open goal.
It wasn’t by the time he took a touch and no way he could have reacted in time to hit it first time.

Just a combination of a slightly heavy touch snd sublime defensive recovery.

Having seen it on MOTD, he as a pro should not of even taken a touch, empty goal just shoot it with any leg or cock it would have gone in for fucks sake.
I do agree. If he can trap it with his right boot on the opposite side of his body, he can guide it in with his left foot. But he is a dm after all.

He was pretty anonymous for 75 minutes, although I wouldn't say he was poor (honestly Fabinho and Hendo were worse) – but in the moments when we needed someone with confidence and swagger to reignite our passing game, something Thiago would have almost certainly done, Curtis did not take the responsibility. After 75 minutes when City tired and stopped pressing as a team, Jones suddenly sprung to life and started driving the offense forward. He provided the "assist" for Salah's 2nd goal, which is of course not a real assist, but he did construct the moves that made this goal and other promising attacks possible. Overall 6.5 from me.
I think it may be a little unfair to say he didn't take responsibility, especially after listening to Klopp's explanation above. It's more like he was doing what he was told to do by the senior players ... and which was wrong.

Cheers - if Hendo, and Fab were worse then this result must have been a damn miracle. Sounds like we have a real problem on the right hand side when Trent is out (to be honest I would not have been surprised if TAA was playing and he got a skinned). We need a solution to this issue - I wish we still had Clyne - as a defender he was top top player on that side, none of that skill bollox would work against him.

We really need a Bissouma in that middle so that we can just form a shield - if we are just going to go stiff. I enjoyed watching what Doucoure did for Everton yesterday, we need some of that.
Neither Bissouma nor Doucoure are as good as Fabinho defensively, not even close. It's just that Fabs had played 3 x high intensity 90 mins in 8 days and was clearly lethargic as a result. No need to reinvent the wheel here, it was just the cumulative effect.

If Morton continues his progress for another year and was ready then he could have done the job.

It was great defensive play and yet he still absolutely should have scored.
It was an open goal.
Yeah he should have scored. But that was the difference between a defender and an attacker. Had he just chipped the ball Rodri couldn't have got close to it, his block was along the ground. Can't really blame Fabs.

He was looking at the ball and not the goal. Once he stopped the ball and looked up realising the goal is open, he react but so too did Rodri. It was a great block.

If it had dropped to a striker or a more attacking minded player who is constantly aware of what's going in and around the goal, he would have taken it first time.

Neither Bissouma nor Doucoure are as good as Fabinho defensively, not even close. It's just that Fabs had played 3 x high intensity 90 mins in 8 days and was clearly lethargic as a result. No need to reinvent the wheel here, it was just the cumulative effect.

If Morton continues his progress for another year and was ready then he could have done the job.

Yep, pretty much about Fabinho versus the others.

City play with an extra midfielder and without a forward. So of course they will dominate midfield. With the quality they have, they will dominate the ball against most teams and create chances.

The downside of that is they have midfielders trying to take those chances rather than goal scorers. So they will miss quite a few.

This week has shown why we need to rotate Fabs - the fine margins of football showing with his slow clearance for the Burnley goal and slow shooting at the end of this game. 4 point swing!

He's incredible for us though, and City marked him out of the game in the first half with Bernardo, but he got a bit free-er in the second. Loved the change we managed to make in the second half, but can't believe how easy we made it for them to score the second equaliser. At 2-1 I think Naby needed to be brought in to CM for one of the forwards to suffocate them of space.

Ya remember when people said Mane was finished, had no pace and he and Mo hated each other

The way Mane and Jota criss-crossed their paths to bamboozle Dias and buy Mane a couple yards of space was just glorious, as was Mo's perfectly timed through-ball. I might be wrong, but I don't recall seeing our front 3 work so well in tandem (tridem?) for quite some time.

The way Mane and Jota criss-crossed their paths to bamboozle Dias and buy Mane a couple yards of space was just glorious, as was Mo's perfectly timed through-ball. I might be wrong, but I don't recall seeing our front 3 work so well in tandem (tridem?) for quite some time.
And Fabinho's first time half-volley pass out to Mo. At the time I muttered "great pass".

And Fabinho's first time half-volley pass out to Mo. At the time I muttered "great pass".

Yeah, as soon as Fabinho played that little chipped pass I had a feeling something might come from it. It tempted Cancelo to put his half-hearted challenge in and the way Mo, Jota and Sadio dissected them in the next 3 seconds was as brutal and precise as a strike of a samurai sword. Props to Sadio too, that was hell of a finish, absolutely clinical.

Having seen it on MOTD, he as a pro should not of even taken a touch, empty goal just shoot it with any leg or cock it would have gone in for fucks sake.
In slow motion it looks bad.

But it was the 85th minute. He wouldn't have expected Ederson to make a complete arse of it. In real time Rodgri makes the clearance of the season.

About 30 second later Fabs was doubled over with hands on his knees. Same with Henderson and De Bruyne.

It really was like the 12th round of a heavy weight contest..both teams were out on their legs.

We are lucky Sterling is so shit. He looked like he could skip past all our defenders.

Yeah, as soon as Fabinho played that little chipped pass I had a feeling something might come from it. It tempted Cancelo to put his half-hearted challenge in and the way Mo, Jota and Sadio dissected them in the next 3 seconds was as brutal and precise as a strike of a samurai sword. Props to Sadio too, that was hell of a finish, absolutely clinical.
It was a great run and finish from Sadio (brilliant team goal actually)! Every time I write him off he comes up with something like that.

It wasn’t by the time he took a touch and no way he could have reacted in time to hit it first time.

Just a combination of a slightly heavy touch snd sublime defensive recovery.
So if he hadn't taken a heavy first touch he should have scored

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom