• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Newcastle (a) - PL - Sat 12:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like he may be leaving us ...

278581848_420906936705429_4663368835027694501_n.jpg

Klopp said its up to Milner to decide. He's been given a contract offer for 1 more year according to Liverpool.no

Naby Keita had not scored for Liverpool since October but he chose a good moment to pop up with a goal and it was beautifully taken too, the 27-year-old dribbling inside from the right then keeping his cool to beat Martin Dubravka and find the net.

It proved a decisive contribution as Liverpool secured a 1-0 win over Newcastle at St James' Park but it was not all he offered.

Keita's eye-catching all-round display made him the game's stand-out performer. As well as scoring the winner and playing a part in many of Liverpool's best attacking moments, he won possession more times (nine) than anyone else.

His off-the-ball industry on the right of Liverpool's midfield ensured Joe Gomez was rarely exposed behind him and he also played a key role in their pressing game, snapping at the heels of Newcastle players on the rare occasions they attempted to construct attacks.

Keita's time at Anfield has been up and down, the Guinea international at times struggling to hold down a place in the side following his arrival from RB Leipzig in 2018.

But this was just the latest in a run of impressive displays.

In the FA Cup semi-final win over Manchester City, he was arguably the best player on the pitch. It was a similar story in the Champions League quarter-final first leg against Benfica.
His energy and intensity is proving invaluable for Liverpool as a gruelling season enters a crunch period. He will become even more important if he can produce another goal or two between now and the end of the campaign.

I think he came off thinking he can’t do it anymore. I was listening to carragher about when he knew it was time. It just wasn’t the pace, but you can’t jump as high, hit the ball as hard and react as quick as you want. Once that doubt creeps in you are done at the top.

At a vastly lower level, that was what finished me off more than anything. I knew what I wanted to do with the ball but couldn't get it done quickly enough any more.

Match winners are hard to come by. I say if he's happy with not starting every game we should definitely keep him

I think Milner's worth to the squad is more than just playing

Then he should be paid as a coach and not as a player. I think he's looked like he's running on empty for the last couple of months, he's a tendency to throw himself into challenges now amd mistime things. I'd happily keep him on as part of the coaching set up but I think as a player his race is run.

Then he should be paid as a coach and not as a player. I think he's looked like he's running on empty for the last couple of months, he's a tendency to throw himself into challenges now amd mistime things. I'd happily keep him on as part of the coaching set up but I think as a player his race is run.
There was once in the first half when a ball was played to the left. 10 out of 10 times Robbo would latch onto it no issue. Milly tried to shuffle his legs, but by the time he was ready the ball had passed him by. His body doesn't seem to be able to respond as fast as his brains anymore.

I haven't been his biggest fan in the last 12 months, but what's the problem, he had a great game! Ok it was a stupid decision but he got motm ffs.

One photo where he's wiping the sweat out of his eyes and everybody thinks he's crying and having a crisis of confidence.

He played well, did a job and i think he knows it too.

Milner has definitely got another season in him. If he stays at Liverpool then I doubt he will play very much at all, but I think he will do a decent job when he does.

If he does decline a lot next season then he'll play even less and might even leave in January.

I don't see why anyone would actively want him to leave. He hasn't done anything wrong.

Yes. The flip side of paying the kind of attention we obviously pay to character as well as ability when we sign someone is that we get individuals like Milner who really weave themselves into the fabric of the club and will be missed all round when they go. It's a price worth paying though. What a signing the guy's been for LFC.

The loss off the pitch would be massive if Milner doesnt sign a new deal.
Is there an offer for him to sign? He is 36, so retirement is on the horizon. Does he go into punditry or go into coaching? He won't get a better mentor than Klopp, however, does the club want him?

I think the misery of Hull is overstated. Since they had that City of Culture thing they upped their game, a little at least. I used to pop to Hull because of a network I was involved in, and really didn't mind it too much. Wouldn't like to live there like, but there must be worse places.

I had a German teacher at school who used to intone "Save us from Hell, Hull and Halifax". It's probably not a coincidence that he was from Lancashire.

When I used to DJ pretty much anywhere that began with B was awful. Bolton, Blackburn, Burnley, Bradford, Birmingham, Burnley, Bury, Barnsley, Birkenhead, Blackpool. Fuck those B towns.

[article]
Milner sets the standards for Newcastle to reach

It is no coincidence that the richly gifted Bruno Guimarães had his most disappointing game for Newcastle on the day he found himself up against James Milner. The latter played a key role alongside the excellent Naby Keïta and Jordan Henderson, helping ensure Guimarães, Joe Willock and Jonjo Shelvey were thoroughly upstaged as, courtesy of Keïta’s 19th-minute goal, Liverpool won 1-0 on Tyneside. At 36, Milner – who made his debut for Leeds 20 years ago – made the very most of a rare start, emphasising precisely why his manager trusts him. “Milly’s a role model,” said Jürgen Klopp as his side maintained the pressure on Manchester City. “He’s a role model. Nothing we’ve achieved in the last few years would have happened without James Milner. He sets standards in a way not a lot of people can; it’s educated all of us.”

[/article]

He’s clearly not been juicing enough - he needs to take more caffeine!!!!

I had a German teacher at school who used to intone "Save us from Hell, Hull and Halifax". It's probably not a coincidence that he was from Lancashire.
For a moment I was thinking 'what the hell does a German know about Hull & Halifax' !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom