• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Newcastle (a) - Sun 16:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do wonder how far Howe can take them. His subs changed the game for them, as they started to cede more and more control
I think he had to do those substitutions. Once we went to a flat back 4, Gordon was no longer as effective.

pretty sure he was sent off for denying a goal scoring opportunity which carries a one match ban. Three is for violent conduct and two for dissent.

if the match ref raises Virge’s refusal to leave the field of play after the sending off then additional games could be added.

So 1 atm

Subs were the game changers. Biggest one was Tonali going off and longstaff coming on. Massive downgrade and relieved a lot of pressure.

Having said that why the hell they didn’t just pump the ball to Gordon for 1 on 1 with Trent is beyond me.

pretty sure he was sent off for denying a goal scoring opportunity which carries a one match ban. Three is for violent conduct and two for dissent.

if the match ref raises Virge’s refusal to leave the field of play after the sending off then additional games could be added.

So 1 atm
I did worry that he was making a bad situation worse by not leaving the pitch. Players are seemingly still not used to the fact they can’t have a go at officials as they used to.

Subs were the game changers. Biggest one was Tonali going off and longstaff coming on. Massive downgrade and relieved a lot of pressure.

Having said that why the hell they didn’t just pump the ball to Gordon for 1 on 1 with Trent is beyond me.
They did.

I did worry that he was making a bad situation worse by not leaving the pitch. Players are seemingly still not used to the fact they can’t have a go at officials as they used to.
Yep. It's fine to stick around while the VAR check goes on, and I'd even suggest a player should, calmly, make their case to the ref while they're waiting because if he does review it on screen that might help steer his final decision. But VVD mouthed off at him when he eventually walked off and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get an extra game ban for that. Passions and all that, but he should know better.

As captain I would assume he had the right to question the decision?

I fear the delay after he was told the decision stood and then the rant as he finally left the pitch, you didn’t need to a great lip reader to know what he said, may well make it to the match report

They did.
My memory was that there were a few cross field passes that Trent / Joel cut out easily and then a few runs from Gordon where he cut inside rather than go down the line.

On the few occasions he did attack down the wing Trent was very disciplined and stood off him allowing him to cross.I was relieved Gordon didn’t try to take Trent on more.

So 1 atm
My bad, thought straight red was instant 3 games.

My memory was that there were a few cross field passes that Trent / Joel cut out easily and then a few runs from Gordon where he cut inside rather than go down the line.

On the few occasions he did attack down the wing Trent was very disciplined and stood off him allowing him to cross.I was relieved Gordon didn’t try to take Trent on more.
Gordon is one trick speed merchant. My recollection of the match is that Trent wised up to this and frequently forced him to cut back inside where Matip easily moped up.

[QUOTE="Modo, post: 2249925, mem
Red card hyperinflation has reached the Premier League

While most — if not all — people agreed with Van Dijk’s first-half red card, what is inarguable is that it was the ninth of the 2023-24 Premier League season already, only 21 short of the number shown in the whole of 2022-23. If dismissals continue at their current rate then we will witness a total of 118 by the end of the campaign, an astonishing total in an English top-flight context, but still 19 fewer than were shown in La Liga during 2022-23.
And while Spanish fans may be used to games ending with fewer than 22 players on the pitch, if this Premier League season continues on the current trajectory it would be a big cultural shift for supporters in England.
Especially when you consider that 2022-23 had the third-lowest rate of red cards per game in the division’s history, beaten only by the first two Premier League campaigns, when it was almost a different sport in terms of leniency and (occasional) punishment.

I think Klopp said when discussing Endo's debut said that he hadn't briefed him on what to do in a 4-4-1 formation; well given the extent of the number of red cards given now this needs to be a training ground routine if it isn't already!

Last edited:
Despite nearly everyone saying it was a straight red, I don't get it. People saying we'd have wanted a red it it was the other way round, no I wouldn't. He didn't try to foul him and he wasn't through on goal. It wasn't a red.
It was a red. He went through the player to get the ball.

He was last man, Isak was denied the opportunity to control the ball. If the touch was good, he was through on goal.

I hated it in the heat of the moment. But looking at it from a few different angles the ref got it right.

That being said. If the ref had given a yellow, I'm not sure VAR would have said it was clear and obvious he got it wrong either.

Brooks is a bad ref (well vast majority are), but he got that one just about right for me.

It was a red. He went through the player to get the ball.

He was last man, Isak was denied the opportunity to control the ball. If the touch was good, he was through on goal.

I hated it in the heat of the moment. But looking at it from a few different angles the ref got it right.

That being said. If the ref had given a yellow, I'm not sure VAR would have said it was clear and obvious he got it wrong either.

Brooks is a bad ref (well vast majority are), but he got that one just about right for me.

I understand what you're saying but I disagree. There was still quite a lot to do to turn that into a goalscoring opportunity and as far as I know, he's fucking shite and would have made a bollocks of trying to control it. It's not like he was through on goal and can't possibly miss, like super darwin nunez

Didn't realize Nunez and Alli understand each other's language.
Nunez is Uruguayan and Ali is Brazilian so I thought they both spoken a version of Portuguese

So I looked it up, and actually they speak Spanish...

But here's what it said......

"Spanish is spoken throughout Uruguay, although in Rivera and other borderland towns close to Brazil an admixture of Portuguese and Spanish can be heard, often in a slang called portuñol, from the words português and español."

Nunez is Uruguayan and Ali is Brazilian so I thought they both spoken a version of Portuguese

So I looked it up, and actually they speak Spanish...

But here's what it said......

"Spanish is spoken throughout Uruguay, although in Rivera and other borderland towns close to Brazil an admixture of Portuguese and Spanish can be heard, often in a slang called portuñol, from the words português and español."

I think it's more to do with how close the languages are. In Brazil they also get Spanish language TV, music etc.
Nunez spent a few seasons in Portugal so he's used to the language although he isn't fluent.
It's like Norwegian and Swedish or Danish and Swedish. Although as a Swede I can't speak Norwegian or Danish, I can understand the gist of what they're saying.
Norwegian 90%, Danish 60-70%.

Last edited:
I think it's more to do with how close the languages are. In Brazil they also get Spanish language TV, Spanish language music etc.
Nunez spent a few seasons in Portugal so he's used to the language although he isn't fluent.
It's like Norwegian and Swedish or Danish and Swedish. Although as I Sweden I can't speak Norwegian or Danish, I can understand the gist of what they're saying.
Norwegian 90%, Danish 60-70%.
Thanks ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom