• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Spurs (A) - Sat 17:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, it's unlikely a fatality occurs. But whats to say one day a disgruntled fan doesn't attack a ref that wronged his team? If errors like this aren't caught early and risk assessed out of the process ,then it's more likely to happen again and again.

Also, a mistake like this could cost a team millions in revenue from missing out on the league/CL/Europa/Conference or cause relegation. It absolutely should get stamped out and acted upon quickly solely down to the fact it coulg cause a club to fold and go under due to lost revenue
Not could ... did. Us.

The thing is, us VAR sceptics have been told for years to park our manifold concerns with the system in the name of objectivity. So what do we get? A clear and obvious error in not sending off Jones that over half the football world thinks was a yellow. Yeah clear and fucking obvious... And this utter mess with the Diaz goal. In the space of ten minutes. With idiots who are on the payroll of the competition. Get fucked. It's nowhere close to objective, it makes cheating possible in brand new ways, and it ruins the match day experience. Rip it all out.
I will never understand this train of thought. Yes VAR (or to be specific the people operating it) get decisions woefully wrong but look at what we used to have : arbitrary penalties, arbitrary offsides (95% are correct now, all but one of that other 5% are because camera technology needs to be updated to a faster frames per second), arbitrary Red cards, arbitrary decisions based on cheating and diving etc. ... much of that has been cut out. The majority of decisions based on VAR are correct and a far higher percentage correct than in yesteryear. In 10 years VAR will have improved out of all recognition and AI will run it. This is teething (however long that is until it's getting 99% of decisions correct) but there is no way that what I grew up with is better than this.

VAR becomes part of the problem when you have leagues like the Premier league that only implement parts of the system.
It all leads back to the people though. The people in charge and the people operating it.

If they had implemented the semi automatic offside system and showed the results on the screen then none of this happens.
Which is on the PL clubs. A multibillion pound industry and they wanted to save a few pennies because it will be 'outdated' in a few years time, as all tech is.

Something shit will happen when you have people who don't know how to set up a new process at work. I don't care what it is.

I am not exaggerating when I say the process by which I make three boules of pain au levain every two weeks is significantly more developed than what I heard on that tape, and has failsafes to accommodate the constant interruptions of my children.

This is the thing that truly baffles me. Is there no QA department to verify the process works before it's implementation? Or is literally just set it and forget it.

Something shit will happen when you have people who don't know how to set up a new process at work. I don't care what it is.

I am not exaggerating when I say the process by which I make three boules of pain au levain every two weeks is significantly more developed than what I heard on that tape, and has failsafes to accommodate the constant interruptions of my children.

It's not a new system though.
We've already had 4 years of it.
It been used In thousands of matches, on the international stage.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says a replay of the Premier League match against Tottenham "would be the right thing" after Luis Diaz's goal was wrongly disallowed by the video assistant referee.
More to follow.

NOOOOO JURGEN!!! NOOOOO!!!!

This is the thing that truly baffles me. Is there no QA department to verify the process works before it's implementation? Or is literally just set it and forget it.

I don't think they have a developed process, or if they started with the idea of one, it has decayed and they don't follow it. It shouldn't be panicked in that room. It should sound boring and routine. The fact that the refs are so stressed about var is because of how messy everything is.

NOOOOO JURGEN!!! NOOOOO!!!!

He said that that was his opinion as a football fan, if you won't fix the big error at the time.

He said also that he isn't angry, but when he's forced to talk about it, he's clearly getting annoyed, esp regarding Curtis Jones and the whole slate of other decisions.

That'll be the big headline though.

Would you take the option of replying the game with a restart at whatever time that goal happened, with us playing with a man down? Need to have the same team on the pitch (unless injured). That's entering the realm of fantasy as an option.

No, I dont think thats possible. PGMOL have released 13 apologies or something so far, so you'd have every team demanding a replay.
But Klopp is correct that as a football fan you'd want the game replayed.

Oh dear, Klopp’s words are going to be taken out of context and replayed constantly for the next 6 months. Oh dear is a mild reaction!

No, just no, they belong in jail.

[article]
Full audio transcript

VAR: Possible offside, Diaz.

Assistant referee 2: Give it.

Assistant referee 1: Coming back for the offside, mate.

VAR: Just checking the offside. Delay, delay. Give the kick point, let’s go. Kick point please? "THE OFFSIDE", HE KNOWS THAT THERE IS AN OFFSIDE TO USE THAT PHRASING, THERE WAS NO MISTAKE

Referee: Yeah, no worries mate.

Replay operator: So, here we are. Just get a tight angle.

VAR: Yeah, give me 2D line ready after this one for frame two after that.

Replay operator: So frame two there?

VAR: That’s fine. Perfect, yeah. 2D line on the left boot.

Replay operator: Let me just switch angles.

VAR: Romero, I think it is?

Replay operator: I think it might be this angle better? Happy with this angle?

VAR: Yep.

Replay operator: 2D line on the boot?

VAR: 2D line on the boot.

Replay operator: Yeah, okay. So 2D line on the boot.

VAR: And stop. Check complete, check complete. That’s fine, perfect.

Assistant referee 1: Playing.

Referee: Cheers mate.

VAR: Thank you mate.

Referee: Well done boys, good process.

Replay operator: Wait, wait, wait, wait. The on-field decision was offside. Are you happy with this?

Assistant VAR: Yeah. HE IS TOLD THE ON FIELD DECISION AND IS HAPPY, HE KNEW WHAT IT WAS

Replay operator: Are you happy with this?

Assistant VAR: Offside, goal, yeah. That’s wrong that, Daz. WHO THE FUCK PUT THIS COMMA IN THE TRANSCRIPT TO ALTER THE MEANING?

VAR: What?

Replay operator: On-field decision was offside. Are you happy with this image? Yeah, it’s onside. The image that we gave them is onside. "HAPPY WITH THE IMAGE" SO THE INTERN TECH IS THE ONLY ONE WHO BRINGS UP THE ONFIELD DECISION BECAUSE ITS THE ONLY THING HE CAN THINK OF TO EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED, EVEN THIS FUCKER CAN'T CONTEMPLATE THE REFEREE IS THIS BLIND, BY HIM SAYING SURE YOU DONT WANT TO USE A DIFFERENT IMAGE THAT SHOWS OFFSIDE, WHY YOU SENDING THE WRONG IMAGE, THIS RIGHT HERE TELLS YOU EXACTLY WHAT THEY DO WITH OFFSIDES, THEY SELECT THE IMAGE AND ANGLE THEY WANT TO FIT THEIR PREFERRED OUTCOME, AND WHAT HE'S SAYING HERE IS YOU SURE ABOUT THIS IMAGE, IT SHOWS ONSIDE, THEY GIVE ZERO FUCKS ABOUT IF HE WAS ON OR OFF, THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT JUSTIFYING THEIR OWN DECISION

Assistant VAR: He’s played him, he’s gone offside. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART, THEY HAVE NOT TRANSCRIBED THE BIT WHERE IT MENTIONS THE LEFT BACK, I'LL GET TO THAT

VAR: Oh *expletive* HE'S SHAT HIMSELF BECAUSE HE DIDN'T CHECK THE IMAGE HE SUBMITTED CAREFULLY ENOUGH, AND NOW REALISES THAT ITS CLEARLY ONSIDE, BECAUSE HE WAS LOOKING AT THE WRONG FUCKING DEFENDER, AND THE GUY MOVING THE LINES BACK AND FORTH MUST HAVE HAD NO IDEA HE COULD BE THIS STUPID AND BLIND AS TO NOT PAY IT ANY ATTENTION

Replay operator: Delay, delay. Oli’s (PGMOL Hub Ops) saying to delay, Oli’s saying to delay.

VAR: Pardon?

Replay operator: Oli’s calling in to say delay the game. The decision is onside.

VAR: Can’t do anything. HE DOESN'T WANT TO ADMIT HE LOOKED AT THE WRONG DEFENDER AND TAKE THE FALL

Replay operator: Oli’s saying to delay, Oli’s saying to delay.

VAR: Oli?

Fourth official: Yeah?

Replay operator: Delay the game, to delay the game? Stop the game.

VAR: They’ve restarted the game. Can’t do anything, can’t do anything.

Assistant VAR: Yeah, they’ve restarted. Yeah.

VAR: I can’t do anything. I can’t do anything. *expletive*
[/article]

You want the truth? You can't handle the truth. Son we live in a world with youtube, where you can pull up the audio, go to 1:15, slow it down, and clearly hear one of those dickheads mention the "left back" and "he played him", they're only now talking about the left back playing him onside and you hear Daz now go oh shit, because he's just seen the left back now.

I'd send this fucking cunt to prison. First we need to issue a bullshit civil claim, get him to write a witness statement, then get all these cunts on the stand, confront them with the audio, and do his paedophile arse for match fixing.

Had the cunt just admitted he was looking at the wrong defender, it'd be over. But it ain't over. Not by a long shot. He instead concocted a story where the issue is communication, so as not to admit his sheer fucking incompetence, and in doing so has opened the door for us to imprison him. We better fucking oblige, I want to see his wife break down and to see tears in the eyes of his kids as the judge hands down the sentence.

I think we finally got the "show your work please" to Dantes' broken critical lens. That is remarkable.

There's no way they'll allow a replay, it'd give precidence for countless more replays. This is maybe the most obvious mistake we've ever had, but there's mistakes every week. That said, I don't think the PGMOL response is really good enough, the whole thing needs an overhaul.

I think Klopp would have been better off saying "It's not like we're going to be offered a replay" rather than explicitly saying he thought that would be the right outcome.
I'm reminded of the Arsenal / Sheff Utd FA Cup game where Kanu scored a goal after the ball had been put back in play following an injury, Arsenal won the game, but Wenger said it was wrong and offered a replay, which took place. Arsenal still won so everyone was satisfied. Spurs aren't going to offer us a replay because they know we'll dick on them without the poor decisions going in their favour. I bet they're working on chants about it already.
Meantime, Klopp's going to be ridiculed for "demanding a replay" when in reality he was probably trying to highlight the absurdity of the whole situation - VAR fucked up, we lost out, there's nothing they can or will do about it, so they need to make sure it never happens again.
And another thing that seems unprecedented about this incident is that VAR clearly realised in-game that they'd got it wrong. I think all the other prior apologies have come about when VAR genuinely thought they'd done their job properly. So this IS different, but we're not getting anything more than an apology.
Finally, I thought Klopp was pretty magnanimous about the whole thing - no insistence on greater punishment for the refs, that was pretty big of him.

Don't we have a press department briefing before interviews? They should have briefed the whole conference beforehand.

It gives ammunition to the media to shoot down any valid complaints. Any war with pgmol is going to be won and lost in the tabloids. Mentioning unrealistic solutions (which I know he doesn't believe will happen), can be twisted to make this farce all the more outlandish.

It gives ammunition to the media to shoot down any valid complaints. Any war with pgmol is going to be won and lost in the tabloids. Mentioning unrealistic solutions (which I know he doesn't believe will happen), can be twisted to make this farce all the more outlandish.

I don't think you should concede that redress isn't possible, if at some point you want concessions or to demonstrate damages.

The media already began the "Liverpool should get over it" a matter of about a day after the incident, and especially after Liverpool had the temerity to say that what had been said so far was hopelessly inadequate and to demand more.

The partisan nature of football makes it very easy to circle the wagons. Any chance at reform undertaken by an aggrieved club will involve this same media dynamic.

Klopp didnt fuck up anything here, but you can see which way the journos sway by taking things out of context.

The worst part of all this are other fans claiming which games should be replayed and totally missing the point.
It sadly proves that a lot of fans are stupid. Tribalism at its worst.

Klopp was responding to a question, if you listen to the whole conversation, there's "nothing wrong" with what/how he said

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom