• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - West Ham (H) - Sun 1400

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see it like this.
Every game we highlight how good Szobo and Macca are and how much they influence the game.
Is Jones on their level?
No.

So who's the first player you'd replace in our midfield?

I see it like this.
Every game we highlight how good Szobo and Macca are and how much they influence the game.
Is Jones on their level?
No.

Szobo is on another level to the other 2 and any midfielder we have on our books. Everything he does he does it with conviction and elegance.

Mac should be playing where Jones is and Jones replaced by Grav, Mac whilst looks calm in possession doesn't seem to be comfortable in that #6 role and there's been a few times now where he's been robbed of the ball there.

Still some way from full fitness

bandaged-man-in-hospital-catch-22-1970-RYYDH8.jpg

i see 2 arms and 2 legs, the dream is alive

Szobo is on another level to the other 2 and any midfielder we have on our books. Everything he does he does it with conviction and elegance.

Mac should be playing where Jones is and Jones replaced by Grav, Mac whilst looks calm in possession doesn't seem to be comfortable in that #6 role and there's been a few times now where he's been robbed of the ball there.

Because you gave Jones such a low rating, when most spaces have praised him, I think your ratings are missleading. But please make sure you llike this comment.

I see it like this.
Is Jones on their level?
No.

I see it like this, when Jones was introduced last season and he had a ball player like trent who he could trust not to hoof away, we never lost a game. The Chelsea game this season we just got away with it with a draw, and Jones did not play that game. Some people on here need ro accept that he retains the ball better than anyone and passes it at the right times. Perhaps many of you get such a fucking hard on when Szob plays that you forget the number shitty shoet passes he makes that get cut out, or the instances where Maca gets dispossessed.

I dunno the stats but it definitely seemed like Jones covered more grass than anyone else. He delayed releasing the ball a couple of times, as he does, but that was his only crime. Mac was more wasteful, but I'm not moaning about him either, what a pass for the donkey.

I was kinda worried when Jones got subbed off for Ryan Gravenbabbel because of how hard he was working, but it all worked out ok.

I see it like this.
Is Jones on their level?
No.

That's fine but Jones is clearly showing he's good enough to play for us. Not first name on the teamsheet but a valuable contributor nonetheless.

I'm seriously starting to worry that Luis Diaz isn't nearly as good as we like to think he is.

Oh, and Joe Gomez was very solid today and isn't nearly as bad as many here pretend he is.

That said, our slow starts and defense will see us battered at some point this season, against a better team... How we didn't start off 0-2 down within 15 minutes or so is a minor miracle (my god, Alison is a force of nature, isn't he?) and even after we scored, when we didn't double our lead, West Ham were always going to get back into it. How they didn't take the lead early in the 2nd half, when Bowen missed from 6 yards with a free header is beyond me.

As many have said here, we need a real holding CM, 'coz it sure isn't Macca, but our midfield and forward options are up there with the best teams around. That's all hugely positive... But that defense is beyond brutal, at times.

We might be in trouble next weekend, if we play like that at the back in the first half again...

Diaz made a huge difference last weekend when he came on v wolves but he’s not the livewire with the end product that I expected. Still has more to come though I would say after being out injured

The whole DM situation is peculiar. We bought Endo, but we don't play him.
We now have a game against Leicester and Klopp will probably rotate so who starts at DM? Normally it should be Bajcetic, but we now have a 30 year old senior player in need of minutes so I guess Bajcetic won't start.
Outside of that we have world class-ish midfielder who's never fit.
Best case we should be seeing Thiago together with Macca and Szobo in midfield, because I think they'd complement each other well.

I am not sure if Jones was given specific instructions but he needs to start adding more to our attacking play instead of being a tidy player who makes short, safe passes to the back and to the side. That will elevate him to start for us consistently.

I am not sure if Jones was given specific instructions but he needs to start adding more to our attacking play instead of being a tidy player who makes short, safe passes to the back and to the side. That will elevate him to start for us consistently.

Yep. I am actually expecting more from Szobo in this department as well. He has it in his locker. I want to see it on the pitch.

Both Jones and szob have it in their locker. Klopp is exceptionally risk averse when it comes to losing possession, which makes sense. I'm positive the safe passing instructions comes from klopp

We are on quite a run in 2023!
Two defeats since Feb?
Occasional draws
Mostly winning.

it’s a pity the league has been purchased by a nation state.

We've got the same amount of points after 6 games this season as we did after 12 games last season...

He wasnt very good though...

Virgil van Dijk vs. West Ham

95% Pass accuracy
5/6 Accurate long passes
2 Big chances created
1 Assist
2/2 Ground duels won
11/13 Aerial duels won
5 Clearances
3 Recoveries
2 Interceptions

We've got the same amount of points after 6 games this season as we did after 12 games last season...
7 points ahead of united
11 points ahead of chelsea

This is going to be a weird season

Agreed. When Bowen's on his game, which he isn't always but defo was yesterday, he can be a menace to play against.

It was a mistake by the whole defence. Granted it was a great header but you could see the space open up for him way in advance of the ball coming in.

It's a good job their finishing was crap for the most part.

If he did that header when under immense pressure, it could be goal of the month. Having a free run at it, and then doing that kind of shows the defence were shite

If he did that header when under immense pressure, it could be goal of the month. Having a free run at it, and then doing that kind of shows the defence were shite
It was a mistake by the whole defence. Granted it was a great header but you could see the space open up for him way in advance of the ball coming in.

It's a good job their finishing was crap for the most part.
Let's also not forget that that whole move resulting in their goal came about because Mo let a high ball bounce and then lost the challenge for it - had he controlled it first time (cf. the Leeds manager) then the defender could never have won it and we'd have been the ones on the attack. Terrible decision.

I don't know about 'ready', but he reminds me of the Monty Python knight fight ! Already having lost both arms and legs.

Oh No - I am ready, I realize now that I am right most of the time despite your vast experience @Frogfish, Jones - just look at those stats from @King Binny - I get it most people's eyes are lying to them, but mine are not and the stats definitely don't lie.

Bowen did exceptionally well to dig out that header.
Sometimes other players do something amazing.
It is not necessarily a mistake by a defender.

Perhaps but Bowen got to a couple other headers in front of Virgil, too. Good movement but I don't expect such a vertically challenged attacker to get the best of Virgil aerially.

Bowen did exceptionally well to dig out that header.
Sometimes other players do something amazing.
It is not necessarily a mistake by a defender.
There was a catalogue of errors in the lead up to the goal, started with Mac trying to overplay in a dangerous area, then for some reason when Paqueta plays the crossfield pass, Robbo positionally hasn’t a clue where he’s supposed to be and is 20 yards deeper than everyone else which leaves Coufal with all the time in the world to pick a cross. From there Bowen does exceptional to get across Virgil and not much can be done about it. Robbo was also 20 yards deeper and playing everyone onside when Antonio missed that glaring header, he seems to get caught up in some bad positions lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom