• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - West Ham (H) - Sun 1400

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a catalogue of errors in the lead up to the goal, started with Mac trying to overplay in a dangerous area, then for some reason when Paqueta plays the crossfield pass, Robbo positionally hasn’t a clue where he’s supposed to be and is 20 yards deeper than everyone else which leaves Coufal with all the time in the world to pick a cross. From there Bowen does exceptional to get across Virgil and not much can be done about it. Robbo was also 20 yards deeper and playing everyone onside when Antonio missed that glaring header, he seems to get caught up in some bad positions lately.
Exaggerations and errors corrected :
  1. It was Mo who lost the ball on the wing, the cross came from there.
  2. 5m
  3. 3m

Exaggerations and errors corrected :
  1. It was Mo who lost the ball on the wing, the cross came from there.
  2. 5m
  3. 3m

It was a first half to forget & going from memory as I've only seen the game once without the highlights.....maybe it was the Antonio chance which came from Mac losing out. Apologies to him and Salah ought to be doing better to hold onto it there.

I stand by my exaggerations to emphasise the point Robbo had a bad game...you can't be that far deep when we're supposed to be holding a high (ish) defensive line.....the 2 times he didn't, once we got punished and the other we got left off the hook.

Also you crossed out the part where I said he'd played everyone onside when Antonio missed his header....that was a fact, stop at deeper if you want to correct the errors.

In Moron's Mind's eye :

images

the Reality :

Call_It_A_Draw_Template_3.jpg

Yeah but you still believe that FSG wanted to buy a 100M+ player that never wanted to join us !!! LOL

Exactly, I don't understand the excuses.
Imo Van Dijk was at fault even though it was a great finish.

From "A time to kill":

80c0k6.jpg
The cases where one should go back to the source is when the ball is lost and the rest of the team is out of position and especially when a counter attack could leave your defence short on numbers. In yeaterdays case, by the time the cross was played in, it becomes the duty of the defender to deal with it. So the fault lies entirely with VVD for that Bowen goal.

We’ve lost two games since Feb in the league.
We’re coming back time and again…
Midfield problem has stabilized.
We’ve made some great signings
We’ve a small key squad but great unity
Righty or wrongly, we are being seen as "up there" for the league (of course it's too early)

I think it might be time to say Klopp has done a good job rebalancing the ship (for now).

Last edited:

I think it might be time to say Klopp has done a good job rebalancing the ship (for now).

We've done so well since the turn of the year (ignoring Jan) that I may be willing to give some credit to Jorg.

Klopp's done a fine job, but this was never in doubt given he's the best of the best at what he does but boy did we need Fab Hendo Naby and Ox the fuck gone and Zob Mac Grav and doe the fuck in.

We've done so well since the turn of the year (ignoring Jan) that I may be willing to give some credit to Jorg.

Klopp's done a fine job, but this was never in doubt given he's the best of the best at what he does but boy did we need Fab Hendo Naby and Ox the fuck gone and Zob Mac Grav and doe the fuck in.
Hindsight is 20/20 and all that but I wish we were a bit proactive last season. Maybe we wouldn't have been in the Europa League.

Midfield problem has stabilized.
Righty or wrongly, we are being seen as "up there" for the league (of course it's too early)

I know it's crazy - yet I believe the majority the fan base are finding it hard to be convinced this team is the real deal, its fucked up really - and I put it down to this unbeaten run based on the poor opposition that we believe we are playing. I don't know what to make of it, right now in my mind I think Spurs and Brighton will be the greatest test for me to be convinced, and if that comes to pass I probably won't believe we are good enough until we beat Arsenal. If we beat them - we won't believe until we beat City at least once. So right now the best thing to do is enjoy the journey and prepare for the most unpredictable games involving us.

Because of last season, and also not having a convincing defensive midfield strategy with a with a single strong proper DM, or based on a combination of our existing midfielders - I actually prepare my mind to experience a loss in every game. I am only convinced that the only team we can beat without putting in extreme effort is Luton (maybe).

I don't think we are at past levels, yet. But there's enough there to conclude we've fixed a few issues, and we're on our way back
No need to get carried away. Just enjoy the ride, sally

Just a word on creativity / vision. It seems we've taken a step up in this regard this season with a resulting increase in big chances (17 - 2nd most in the PL) and goals scored (only 1 less than City with tougher games having been played).

Whereas we've been accused of lacking invention at times last season in this we seem to be demonstrating a lot more, mainly due to the new midfielders acquired : Mac, Szobo, Mo, Trent, Gakpo and you can see Gravenberch has that within him too (they didn't come off but he has that vision and he's definitely attempting more adventurous passes in and around the box). I hope this is a direction Klopp has intentionally identified as a previously weak area.

Just a word on creativity / vision. It seems we've taken a step up in this regard this season with a resulting increase in big chances (17 - 2nd most in the PL) and goals scored (only 1 less than City with tougher games having been played).

Whereas we've been accused of lacking invention at times last season in this we seem to be demonstrating a lot more, mainly due to the new midfielders acquired : Mac, Szobo, Mo, Trent, Gakpo and you can see Gravenberch has that within him too (they didn't come off but he has that vision and he's definitely attempting more adventurous passes in and around the box). I hope this is a direction Klopp has intentionally identified as a previously weak area.

100% and you could really see it in the lead up to the second goal last week. So much good movement, creativity, and intelligence in tight passing spaces. A joy to watch and a long way from the 4-4-2 days. The game really is so much more technical, and skilled nowadays. But yeah, we looked brilliant.

100% and you could really see it in the lead up to the second goal last week. So much good movement, creativity, and intelligence in tight passing spaces. A joy to watch and a long way from the 4-4-2 days. The game really is so much more technical, and skilled nowadays. But yeah, we looked brilliant.
On that second goal take another look at Mac (from the multi-angle views that LFC have put out). He looks to his right - and the whole West Ham defence move right - before quickly chipping it over to Darwin. Clever if deliberate.

Finally watched the game replay. Not much to add to what others have said - impressed by Curtis Jones, he has a bit of that English aggression and determination in addition to silky technique. He will not be easy to displace for anyone if he can play like this consistently.

Gakpo seemed like he had a point to prove when he came on - everything he did was very purposeful. Gomez made a few highlight-reel plays, but I also thought he looked a bit out of place when tucking into midfield - didn’t do anything wrong, but it was just not clear what the purpose of that movement is, unlike when Trent does it.

Oh, and great to see old man Matip playing like a boss. This is like your favorite musician coming out of a semi-retirement with an absolute banger of a song - you just instantly fall in love again.

Last edited:
Finally watched the game replay. Not much to add to what others have said - impressed by Curtis Jones, he has a bit of that English aggression and determination in addition to silky technique. He will not be easy to displace for anyone if he can play like this consistently.

Gakpo seemed like he had a point to prove when he came on - everything he did was very purposeful. Gomez made a few highlight-reel plays, but I also thought he looked a bit out of place when tucking into midfield - didn’t do anything wrong, but it was just not clear what the purpose of that movement is, unlike when Trent does it.

Oh, and great to see old man Matip playing like a boss. This is like your favorite musician coming out of a semi-retirement with an absolute banger of a song - you just instantly fall in love again.

After that display I could have been talked into extending his current contract with 12 months.

Antonio had a free header in the first half but he totally lost his bearings to our benefit.

Gomez had a good game but he was hardly perfect.

No-one other than you has said anything about "perfect" but Antonio is a dangerous player who got hardly a sniff during the game, and that's down to Gomez.

No-one other than you has said anything about "perfect" but Antonio is a dangerous player who got hardly a sniff during the game, and that's down to Gomez.
No one other you had posted a face of Antonio in Gomez's pocket.

I must be confused with what that means. Or what "hardly a sniff" means.

Antonio had a free header in the first half but he totally lost his bearings to our benefit.

Gomez had a good game but he was hardly perfect.

That came from us losing the ball in a dangerous area, which means all of a sudden the players need to readjust their positions and pick up their mans whilst keeping their eye on the ball which is a tricky situation.....other than that Gomez and Matip both did a number on him. His stats speak for themselves.

That came from us losing the ball in a dangerous area, which means all of a sudden the players need to readjust their positions and pick up their mans whilst keeping their eye on the ball which is a tricky situation.....other than that Gomez and Matip both did a number on him. His stats speak for themselves.
I don't disagree collectively we were better defensively compared to other games. That wasn't really down to any particular player. They were all good but we could have been down a few goals on another day. Soucek's header, Antonio's header come to mind.

I don't disagree collectively we were better defensively compared to other games. That wasn't really down to any particular player. They were all good but we could have been down a few goals on another day. Soucek's header, Antonio's header come to mind.

Of course we could've, unless you play a perfect game then the team you're playing against will always have chances of their own....that might come when the game's at 0-0 or when you're 3 up. We could've done better in moments defensively but if you want to use the 2 examples you've chosen to, I think both times we lost the ball in our own half so Mac and Mo just need to do better to hold onto it or buy a foul or something.

Watch it again. Gomez should have been all over Antonio for that header. He started off 4-5m behind him but, by ball watching instead of checking on Antonio's position he literally ran right bloody past him by 3-5m ... thereby giving him a free header !

From 0:20 secs

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vid...erpool-3-1-west-ham-premier-league-highlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom