• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rugby World Cup

a question - how come rugby teams release the starting line up before the game? doesn't that help the other teams prep? has it always been the case?

One thing I really respect about bok management is they don't go with names - they've dropped faf basically ... huge name, i think highest paid bok (or one of them), and yet he's coming in the 2nd half against France and probably England too.

Different coaches take different approaches. Some take the view that, if the other side almost certainly knows the line-up anyway, it's a sign of confidence to make the announcement early. There are some however who wouldn't do it even if you put a gun to their heads, regardless of the circs.

As for subs, for a good few years now rugby has allowed more of them and seen them brought on for specific tactical purposes later in the game (quite often they're referred to as "finishers" rather than substitutes for that reason). I suspect Rassie has something like that in mind for that little bliksem Faf.

I think it was Ireland who fronted up to it on the halfway line years ago and were ordered not to do so again. That never seemed right to me.

Different coaches take different approaches. Some take the view that, if the other side almost certainly knows the line-up anyway, it's a sign of confidence to make the announcement early. There are some however who wouldn't do it even if you put a gun to their heads, regardless of the circs.

As for subs, for a good few years now rugby has allowed more of them and seen them brought on for specific tactical purposes later in the game (quite often they're referred to as "finishers" rather than substitutes for that reason). I suspect Rassie has something like that in mind for that little bliksem Faf.

Yeah, I wouldn't say Faf has been dropped.
He's more aggressive and forces the play a bit more. When combined with the "bomb squad" I think it works in exploiting tiring teams in the second half.
In the current SA team, the subs are more part of the overall game plan than a reaction to what's happening on the field.

I think it was Ireland who fronted up to it on the halfway line years ago and were ordered not to do so again. That never seemed right to me.
Meanwhile the all blacks are making it more and more elaborate with a carved paddle being introduced. In the next world cup they'll have outrigger canoes for the team to sit in.

Meanwhile the all blacks are making it more and more elaborate with a carved paddle being introduced. In the next world cup they'll have outrigger canoes for the team to sit in.
I was thinking more of a throne.. while he gets raised up a crown put on his head.

The English should come out and Morris dance around a mini Stone Henge reconstruction.

Not sure it's a masterclass from England, or how utterly bad south africa has been ... oh well, hope the kiwis smash them but it seems this trophy has England's name written on it ...

Such stupid mistakes.
Just failing at the basics.
England haven't even been that good.
New Zealand will annihilate them.

I've been watching manure in the footy, I thought you were moaning cos it was over. I've just put it on and the dude said England have been losing their grip cos we're not pushing into the far right anymore. I think he should keep his opinions to himself

I've been watching manure in the footy, I thought you were moaning cos it was over. I've just put it on and the dude said England have been losing their grip cos we're not pushing into the far right anymore. I think he should keep his opinions to himself

It has felt over since the first penalty if honest ... We've just been really poor.

Back
Top Bottom