• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Salah’s future

Would you sell Salah next season?

• Total voters
I don’t think he will sign an extension. He can go wherever he wants next year and make himself even more money. Why would he participate in extending his deal if he’s off anyway?

Well, it's another year on high wages in a most watched league in the world. The endorsements he makes off the back of PL football must be huge. Also I don't see a really big club coming in for him other than PSG, which is a constant shitshow and Saudi league hasn't taken off, so there is some reason for extending from his side.

From the clubs side, Nunez has not progressed as fast we hoped and may never will, Jota has only cemented his injury promise status, and Diaz is not a finisher or a creater. There is some logic in us keeping someone can score, create and stay fit, even if he is sixty percent of the player he is. It's a costly exercise, but there's nobody internally looking like they can replace his numbers. That then would place enormous pressure on the likes of Bayayoku coming in and delivering from the outset. Personally I'd be more comfortable if I had some confidence that the torch can be passed.

Two year extension please.

Delighted he’s staying if that ends up being the case.

The disrespect on here sometimes is sickening for our best player since Stevie G who is still our most influential attacker and continues to show his ability to adapt his game.

If he stays it’ll have meant we’d have learnt absolutely fuck all over the past 2 years, isn’t the very reason we went out of our way to bring Edwards back was to sort out shit like this?

Get rid of the decliners.
Sort what? Is it the biggest issue we have going at mo? Salah can help take loads of this amazing RW we are going to sign in the mean time. He only has a year left with a party, he has earnt that choice.

Well, it's another year on high wages in a most watched league in the world. The endorsements he makes off the back of PL football must be huge. Also I don't see a really big club coming in for him other than PSG, which is a constant shitshow and Saudi league hasn't taken off, so there is some reason for extending from his side.

From the clubs side, Nunez has not progressed as fast we hoped and may never will, Jota has only cemented his injury promise status, and Diaz is not a finisher or a creater. There is some logic in us keeping someone can score, create and stay fit, even if he is sixty percent of the player he is. It's a costly exercise, but there's nobody internally looking like they can replace his numbers. That then would place enormous pressure on the likes of Bayayoku coming in and delivering from the outset. Personally I'd be more comfortable if I had some confidence that the torch can be passed.
He will get the endorsements wherever he goes. Pepsi, Vodafone, etc will always want him to be the Arab face of their business. Should someone be whispering to his agent that he has a 2 year deal lined up on say 500k-1m a week then he wouldn’t be turning that down no matter where he is playing.

We have found ourselves in a predicament. Not one of our 5 forwards have done enough this season to make themselves untouchable. No matter what the spreadsheets tell you. Each have obvious flaws. In a footy manager world, we could get rid of them all and start again. In the real world I can see 2 going. The club will see what interest there is, tied in with who we can get in and then make a decision based on fees and wages.

I wouldn’t get hung up on numbers either. Say Salah does go for an extortionate amount, we could get a few players in that contribute to the team as a whole. Help us be more ruthless in front of goal as well as being more stable as a unit.

I suspect he will probably stay for next season but I am less confident that he'll sign a new contract.

He is personally better off if he becomes a free agent and the club don't seem to be anywhere near as concerned about not letting players' contracts expire as the fans are.

I suspect he will probably stay for next season but I am less confident that he'll sign a new contract.

He is personally better off if he becomes a free agent and the club don't seem to be anywhere near as concerned about not letting players' contracts expire as the fans are.
By fans, do you mean handfull of SCM massive?
What will drive traffic towards this site after Salah leaves? Maybe get Brendan with his shite watch back.

By fans, do you mean handfull of SCM massive?
What will drive traffic towards this site after Salah leaves? Maybe get Brendan with his shite watch back.

I didn't mean specifically Salah really, but you do tend to read things like 'we should sell while we can still get a fee', while the club doesn't seem to be too bothered about that. We frequently let players leave for nothing.

Moving onto Salah specifically though, I've been consistent in wanting him to stay and I still do. I'd like to see some changes in our forwards but ideally not Salah.

I didn't mean specifically Salah really, but you do tend to read things like 'we should sell while we can still get a fee', while the club doesn't seem to be too bothered about that. We frequently let players leave for nothing.

Moving onto Salah specifically though, I've been consistent in wanting him to stay and I still do. I'd like to see some changes in our forwards but ideally not Salah.
Yeah, I get the feeling club isn't bothered about fee on some players and that includes Salah, Ali and Virgil.
We did let contracts wind down on Gini etc.

It's a PR exercise. Even if the club thought it best to let an aging player go for a fee, they can hardly come out and say they want to sell Salah instead of keeping him another year. Especially when Salah himself has indicated he wants to stay.

They'll need to create a story to let him go.

If he signs an extension for anywhere close to what he's on it's a disaster.

That's like 50 million in wages for the worst version of him we will have seen, and the opportunity cost of not being able to sign a top tier forward. Then, we'll have to replace him anyway.

It will not go well.

Luckily Edwards is in charge of all this, so he'll make the right call. It will be a 1 year extension in my opinion.
Most likely for some reduced wages or more incentive based. Which is fine.

If he signs an extension for anywhere close to what he's on it's a disaster.

That's like 50 million in wages for the worst version of him we will have seen, and the opportunity cost of not being able to sign a top tier forward. Then, we'll have to replace him anyway.

It will not go well.
Careful... That's the height of disrespect. Apparently.

Let’s replace him first like we did with Mane, oh wait. That wasn’t very successful. We should have got an understudy last season but we didn’t, hopefully we will this summer but will be the hardest position in team to sort.

Let’s replace him first like we did with Mane, oh wait. That wasn’t very successful. We should have got an understudy last season but we didn’t, hopefully we will this summer but will be the hardest position in team to sort.
I don't really think the idea of an understudy works. It isn't as though we don't have forward options. We actually need dead certain, build you team around, dependable forwards. With a time machine that would be Salah. Without one, if we are replacing Salah successfully, Salah will have to not be here. Because he's not going to share starts, is he?

I don't really think the idea of an understudy works. It isn't as though we don't have forward options. We actually need dead certain, build you team around, dependable forwards. With a time machine that would be Salah. Without one, if we are replacing Salah successfully, Salah will have to not be here. Because he's not going to share starts, is he?
I don’t think he will sold, we have to face club doesn’t want that and Salah doesn’t want to go so best just accept that idea. There are number of reasons why that won’t happen on both sides. None of the forwards we have are dependable outside of Salah anyway. Klopp didn’t agree and I doubt Slott and Edwards will do that this summer either.

I never said he should be replaced, it’s more about bringing in a younger player who can slowly be intergrated on the right rather than replace our biggest goal threat in one false swoop. Why would we want to do something like that when it’s just not sensible? With the work load we are expected to have next season, why would we sell Salah then buy a 23yr or so old RW to play 56 games or so on the right? It would likely be Salah’s last hurrah and they are more likely to play him through the center and RW if they do, which to me make sense.

A forward of the caliber we need right now, better than our given options, or, in your scenario, better in a year when Salah leaves, is not going to want to play behind Salah for a year.

And why would they?

Salah for his part will be starting every game he is fit for, regardless of form, otherwise he will throw a hissy fit.

We will either keep Salah and there won't be a replacement, or we will keep Salah and their backup will be a longer term prospect than we need, or we will replace Salah goals from elsewhere, whether gakpo/Nunez/Diaz, or their replacement. Still leaves us short a right sided attacker for a season.

Perhaps we move Salah central, like manes last hurrah, but I don't see that working.

I don't see a striker joining us being offered guaranteed striker, it hasn't happened with any of the forwards we have signed since probably Salah so why would that even happen? He will have to accept it it is a 5 striker setup.
I think Salah will probably be rotated in all 3 positions if we sign a RW next year.

I don't see a striker joining us being offered guaranteed striker, it hasn't happened with any of the forwards we have signed since probably Salah so why would that even happen? He will have to accept it it is a 5 striker setup.
I think Salah will probably be rotated in all 3 positions if we sign a RW next year.
Is the 5 striker set up true? Will Slot play that way?

If we want a top calibre forward, which we need because a project has fucked us up, they will expect to be one of the first names on the team sheet.

It's probably wishful thinking but I still hope it's the injury that's been holding him back because he was much better before that, mainly as a creator. No idea what kind of formation we're going to see next season but I can see him more central in a deeper, second striker type role

Is the 5 striker set up true? Will Slot play that way?

If we want a top calibre forward, which we need because a project has fucked us up, they will expect to be one of the first names on the team sheet.
I think will be minimum 4 right regardless? even if we play 2 up front.
We have CL next season with additional group games, are you really expecting us to spend big money on a top-caliber forward who is going to really demand that amount of games? Slot or not, it's not going to happen in my view.

They can accept that they'll be rotated, they can't accept that they'll play behind someone who won't be rotated, even if they are awful for months on end.

They can accept that they'll be rotated, they can't accept that they'll play behind someone who won't be rotated, even if they are awful for months on end.
Isn't that same thing?
They can't accept they will play behind a club legend for a season? they can fck off then, I don't see us signing anyone of that attitude.

Back
Top Bottom